Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeform Pricing??

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Freeform Pricing??

We just started an account with Hoya about a month and a half ago. So far all the patients love the product and we have not had any complaints. Before we used mostly Essilor and did not prescribe many freeform lenses. Now with Hoya we are using a lot more free form. We are currently updating our prices for everything (long over due). As for the PAL's we are thinking about offering a good, better, best type of thing. Starting with the Summit IQ (good), Array (better), ID Lifestyle 2 (best), then the ID Mystyle (ultimate). All are freeform lenses, but does anyone have an idea of about what percentage the price should go up for each lens? Thank you for your input!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
    We just started an account with Hoya about a month and a half ago. So far all the patients love the product and we have not had any complaints. Before we used mostly Essilor and did not prescribe many freeform lenses. Now with Hoya we are using a lot more free form. We are currently updating our prices for everything (long over due). As for the PAL's we are thinking about offering a good, better, best type of thing. Starting with the Summit IQ (good), Array (better), ID Lifestyle 2 (best), then the ID Mystyle (ultimate). All are freeform lenses, but does anyone have an idea of about what percentage the price should go up for each lens? Thank you for your input!
    \

How about use a mark-up formula (the same you use for all progressives) then apply it to the wholesale cost of each lens that you mentioned above?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Totally agree with Golfnorth here. Keeps your margins easy to follow. Formula works for all retail products.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would also caution against the MyStyle as being positioned "above" anything else. The MyStyle is a tricky creature to master because of the subjective questions skewing the results. For instance, if you do lots of up close and midrange work throughout the day and for all of your hobbies, you'll end up with a great lens for that, except that it might not take in to account your 2 hours of commuting every day. MyStyle is more of a marketing gimmick than an above premium lens product.

To say another way, the optics and performance will be fine, but you'll shoot yourself in the foot if a patient is used to wide distance vision (for instance) and ends up with a super narrow field of view, even though it is "better." I'm trying to caution you on HOW you sell the lens, not caution you against selling the lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    I would also caution against the MyStyle as being positioned "above" anything else. The MyStyle is a tricky creature to master because of the subjective questions skewing the results. For instance, if you do lots of up close and midrange work throughout the day and for all of your hobbies, you'll end up with a great lens for that, except that it might not take in to account your 2 hours of commuting every day. MyStyle is more of a marketing gimmick than an above premium lens product.

To say another way, the optics and performance will be fine, but you'll shoot yourself in the foot if a patient is used to wide distance vision (for instance) and ends up with a super narrow field of view, even though it is "better." I'm trying to caution you on HOW you sell the lens, not caution you against selling the lens.
    We sell the Mystyle as our Best lens and haven't run into the issue that you describe above thank God.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    We sell the Mystyle as our Best lens and haven't run into the issue that you describe above thank God.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    We are a big time Hoya account (less-so these days due to lab issues) but I haven't found the Mystyle to be all that its sold to be. The ID2 seems to work just as well.

Although ThatOneGuy brings up some interesting points. Maybe I havent put the right eyeballs in that design.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't sold any Mystyles yet. Our rep quickly mentioned them and how the patients have to answer questions. We never got a list of questions and she never said what we do with the answers. Do you just send them to the lab? Or is there a program you enter them in? Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't sold any Mystyles yet. Our rep quickly mentioned them and how the patients have to answer questions. We never got a list of questions and she never said what we do with the answers. Do you just send them to the lab? Or is there a program you enter them in? Thanks!
    Your rep sounds like a dolt. There is an IDMystyle Rx order pad that has 16 different icons which the customer is asked to pick 5 or 6 that resonate with them the most. Then they are asked to rank the 5 or 6 on a scale of 1 to 5 with #1 being not very important to #5 being very important. You also receive a kit with instruments that measure the vertex, frame wrap and pantoscopic tilt. You are also asked what the client's previous prescription is and what progressive lens design (if any) they are currently wearing. From all that the Mystyle lenses are designed for the client. Oh and I almost forgot......you measure not only the monocular distance pd but also the near. The inset is customized to the client as not everybody has a 2mm inset for reading.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea, She never mentioned any of that. In your opinion, are the Mystyles that much better than the LifeStyle 2? She gave us a few free vouchers for lenses and I put our office manager in A lifestyle 2 clarity and she absolutely loves them. I just wear single vision so I have to rely on others to tell me!
    Last edited by buckeyefan; 08-04-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea, She never mentioned any of that. You gave me more information than she has in her three visits here! Thank you! In your opinion, are the Mystyles that much better than the LifeStyle 2? She gave us a few free vouchers for lenses and I put our office manager in A lifestyle 2 clarity and she absolutely loves them. She likes them better than the Varilux S. I just wear single vision so I have to rely on others to tell me!
    That is a hard question for me to answer as I have the Lifestyle in my golf glasses (with the add reduced .50). I'm wearing the IDMtstyles today and I always find that the peripheral is the sharpest of any lens I wear in the store. We are currently positioning the Mystyle as our absolute best lens with the option of going to the Lifestyle if there is a price objection. Here's an interesting story for you.....I switched over a Seiko Supercede wearer to the IDMystle. I thought she might notice a bit of a difference as she was wearing Seiko's best lens at the time of purchase. Well I got a WOW out of her when I put her Mystyles on her. I was very surprised to say the least as what she was wearing was no slouch.

If you are trying to pick one (Lifestyle vs. MyStyle) over the other I would choose the Mystyle. It gives you the advantage of differentiating your practice with all the different tools and measurements taken to provide a pair of personalized and customized progressive lenses for your client.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If you are trying to pick one (Lifestyle vs. MyStyle) over the other I would choose the Mystyle. It gives you the advantage of differentiating your practice with all the different tools and measurements taken to provide a pair of personalized and customized progressive lenses for your client.
    The LifeStyle and MyStyle are basically the same design, except that the LifeStyle comes in two fixed models:

• Harmony - A balanced, relatively soft design with long corridor (depending on B height) that has good intermediate.
    • Clarity - A hard design with short corridor, emphasizing distance and reading at expensive of intermediate.

The MyStyle in theory has many possible variations and not just limited to the two above. The exact variation you end up with is based on the patient answering questions as indicated by a post above about what activities they typical do, and to prioritize each. Exactly how many different possible variations there are with MyStyle is unknown to me.

As mentioned by ThatOneGuy, the questions for the MyStyle are extremely problematic in that when I answered them for my own MyStyle lens order, the order summary indicated I had chosen an hard design with short intermediate corridor, when that is exactly what I did not want. So the interpretation of the questions and answers by the software is seriously suspect. I decided to order the LifeStyle 2 Harmony instead of MyStyle, and am very satisfied with them (as in WOW).

The MyStyle also accepts some other measurements and input from customer as described by Golfnorth above. But I have no idea how it interprets (for example) what current brand of progressive lens the patient is wearing, and how satisfied they are with them. This seems like a stupid question, open to misinterpretation by the software, unless you know why the patient was or was not satisfied. Also, some people are satisfied with a crappy Essilor lens, simply because they have never experienced anything better. For all these custom measurements/questions asked for a MyStyle, the LifeStyle instead just uses customer averages for previous orders of MyStyle lenses (according to the Hoya education online class I took). So my understanding is that if the patient answered the MyStyle questions a certain way, and the other measurements were defaulted (or measured to be the same as defaults), they could (in theory) end up with the identical lens as one of the two LifeStyle models, since LifeStyle and MyStyle are basically the same design.

I think Hoya would be better off expanding the LifeStyle designs to have one or two more options besides Harmony and Clarity (Zeiss has three for their ID 2), and let the optician work with the patient to decide which one is best. The other customization options (panto, near PD, etc) could be optional inputs, just like Zeiss ID 2.
    Last edited by m0002a; 07-25-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Your rep sounds like a dolt. There is an IDMystyle Rx order pad that has 16 different icons which the customer is asked to pick 5 or 6 that resonate with them the most...
    The customer can also answer the questions using the Hoya online web order system. This has the advantage of, when the order is complete, the Hoya order system tells you what kind of lens you are getting (short corridor, long corridor, etc) based on answers to the questions. As soon as I saw what the software interpreted from my answers (a hard design, exactly opposite from what I wanted), I cancelled the MyStyle order and ordered LifeStyle Harmony instead.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In Australia at least, Harmony and Clarity both have long and short versions. I have all 4 combinations.
    And in Australia, MyStyle V+ has just replaced MyStyle, have a few on order so shall see how they fare.

With MyStyle V+, just like Varilux S series, a right lens can't be supplied with knowing the left Rx and vice versa because of the binocular trickery both designs use to help with anisometropia. The LifeStyle V+'s don't do this so I don't think a MyStyle V+ can end up exactly like a "plain" Lifestyle V+ Harmony/Clarity.
    Last edited by obiwan; 07-25-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    In Australia at least, Harmony and Clarity both have long and short versions. I have all 4 combinations.
    And in Australia, MyStyle V+ has just replaced MyStyle, have a few on order so shall see how they fare.

With MyStyle V+, just like Varilux S series, a right lens can't be supplied with knowing the left Rx and vice versa because of the binocular trickery both designs use to help with anisometropia. The LifeStyle V+'s don't do this so I don't think a MyStyle V+ can end up exactly like a "plain" Lifestyle V+ Harmony/Clarity.
    My understanding is that the LifeStyle is based on MyStyle "averages" so that if someone had an average Rx with regard to that condition, then it could be the same. But if some had an unusual condition, it would be different. Even for the MyStyle, if you don't take the extra measurements such as panto, vertex, etc, it will just use defaults (averages).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    The LifeStyle and MyStyle are basically the same design, except that the LifeStyle comes in two fixed models:

• Harmony - A balanced, relatively soft design with long corridor (depending on B height) that has good intermediate.
    • Clarity - A hard design with short corridor, emphasizing distance and reading at expensive of intermediate.

The MyStyle in theory has many possible variations and not just limited to the two above. The exact variation you end up with is based on the patient answering questions as indicated by a post above about what activities they typical do, and to prioritize each. Exactly how many different possible variations there are with MyStyle is unknown to me.

As mentioned by ThatOneGuy, the questions for the MyStyle are extremely problematic in that when I answered them for my own MyStyle lens order, the order summary indicated I had chosen an hard design with short intermediate corridor, when that is exactly what I did not want. So the interpretation of the questions and answers by the software is seriously suspect. I decided to order the LifeStyle 2 Harmony instead of MyStyle, and am very satisfied with them (as in WOW).

The MyStyle also accepts some other measurements and input from customer as described by Golfnorth above. But I have no idea how it interprets (for example) what current brand of progressive lens the patient is wearing, and how satisfied they are with them. This seems like a stupid question, open to misinterpretation by the software, unless you know why the patient was or was not satisfied. Also, some people are satisfied with a crappy Essilor lens, simply because they have never experienced anything better. For all these custom measurements/questions asked for a MyStyle, the LifeStyle instead just uses customer averages for previous orders of MyStyle lenses (according to the Hoya education online class I took). So my understanding is that if the patient answered the MyStyle questions a certain way, and the other measurements were defaulted (or measured to be the same as defaults), they could (in theory) end up with the identical lens as one of the two LifeStyle models, since LifeStyle and MyStyle are basically the same design.

I think Hoya would be better off expanding the LifeStyle designs to have one or two more options besides Harmony and Clarity (Zeiss has three for their ID 2), and let the optician work with the patient to decide which one is best. The other customization options (panto, near PD, etc) could be optional inputs, just like Zeiss ID 2.
    I currently operate a HOYA franchise lab up in Canada and was previously employed by them. The Lifestyle 2 and MyStyle are not the same designs whatsoever and the FF processing is completely different. Both are excellent and successful designs, however the MyStyle is the only lens currently on the globe that is a 100% true double sided free form design. Hoya literally surfaces the front side, then surfaces the backside creating incredible results on both the front and back - no other manufacturer is doing this (although they claim to be).

With the MyStyle, there are numerous customization options based on the patient's responses and wearing history and all of this goes into the design process (when Signature Option level is chosen). The basic level Mystyle design (non Signature level) is still in my opinion an excellent option and still provides amazing results if you want to provide a premium superior product but don't have the time to dispense to that level of detail.

The LS2 is a molded front design that contains all vertical gaze components on the front side, then the backside is processed using FF technology and contains the Rx and horizontal gaze components. It is optimized but not to the same level as MyStyle and available in two versions, Clarity and Harmony. Your Clarity and Harmony information is also incorrect. The difference between the two options has nothing to do with corridor length since there is a regular and short corridor available in both designs.

Simply put, the Clarity design is more suitable for a patient that is a new presbyope and requires more use in the distance area of the lens. The Harmony is suited more for a patient that requires more assistance at the reading level. Both designs are excellent and full PALS. When I receive orders for these and the type is not given, I choose the Harmony option as default for them.

We sell a lot of these lenses and get incredible positive feedback with almost zero non-adapts on these products.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you for detailed post Rob. Do you guys still have the iD Classic/Instyle over there which here is positioned between Lifestyle V+ (which I guess you call Lifestyle2) and Mystyle? Or is that what you call "the non signature level mystyle"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
    I currently operate a HOYA franchise lab up in Canada and was previously employed by them. The Lifestyle 2 and MyStyle are not the same designs whatsoever and the FF processing is completely different. Both are excellent and successful designs, however the MyStyle is the only lens currently on the globe that is a 100% true double sided free form design. Hoya literally surfaces the front side, then surfaces the backside creating incredible results on both the front and back - no other manufacturer is doing this (although they claim to be).

With the MyStyle, there are numerous customization options based on the patient's responses and wearing history and all of this goes into the design process (when Signature Option level is chosen). The basic level Mystyle design (non Signature level) is still in my opinion an excellent option and still provides amazing results if you want to provide a premium superior product but don't have the time to dispense to that level of detail.

The LS2 is a molded front design that contains all vertical gaze components on the front side, then the backside is processed using FF technology and contains the Rx and horizontal gaze components. It is optimized but not to the same level as MyStyle and available in two versions, Clarity and Harmony. Your Clarity and Harmony information is also incorrect. The difference between the two options has nothing to do with corridor length since there is a regular and short corridor available in both designs.

Simply put, the Clarity design is more suitable for a patient that is a new presbyope and requires more use in the distance area of the lens. The Harmony is suited more for a patient that requires more assistance at the reading level. Both designs are excellent and full PALS. When I receive orders for these and the type is not given, I choose the Harmony option as default for them.

We sell a lot of these lenses and get incredible positive feedback with almost zero non-adapts on these products.
    I don't think anything you said inconsistent with my post (other than your conclusion). What I said is (and what Hoya claims) is that the LifeStyle lens (especially front surface that is premolded) is based on MyStyle averages, rather than being completely customized. Therefor it is "possible" that the two lenses could end up being the same (even though one has a molded front and the other is free form). It is possible to submit a MyStyle order without any of the custom measurements (other than the questionnaire, basic Rx, and PD), and defaults are used for the other measurements. I was speculating that it might be possible that someone could answer the questions in such a way as to end up with a lens the same as either the LifeStyle Harmony or Clarity, but I think only the software developers know the answer to that.

Regarding corridor length, a lens like the Harmony is (I assume) going to have a longer corridor and larger intermediate for a given frame size than the Clarity. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that the Clarity is a harder design (transitions faster from far to near) and does not have as large an intermediate as the Harmony does, and it is not just a matter of distance vs near. The issue of having two different fitting height designs is a slightly different subject.

So in summary, I think there is confusion between how a lens is made (freeform vs molded) versus how it actually ends up. My contention (based on the online Hoya education class I took) is that the two lenses (MyStyle and LifeStyle) are not completely different designs, even though they are made differently, and even though the MyStyle has more customizable features (that the average wearer might not need and the defaults would be fine). I also contend (and corroborated by ThatOneGuy in his post above) that the MyStyple questionnaire and software interpretation of the answers is seriously flawed and could (as in my case when I placed a MyStyle order as discussed in my post above) result in a lens that is different than is what is desired or needed by the patient (difference meaning like the difference between LifeStyle Harmony vs Clarity). This is a software issue, not a manufacturing issue.
    Last edited by m0002a; 07-25-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    Thank you for detailed post Rob. Do you guys still have the iD Classic/Instyle over there which here is positioned between Lifestyle V+ (which I guess you call Lifestyle2) and Mystyle? Or is that what you call "the non signature level mystyle"
    The 'iD' classic brand as it used to be called here in Canada was discontinued when the MyStyle was launched. However, a very similar version of it is still available to a select group of OD's in Canada under a supply agreement known as 'Protegrity'.

The reference to standard non-Signature, Signature, and Signature Plus are all still 100% MyStyle; they are simply various levels of customization/personalization options.

Cheers,
    Rob

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I don't think anything you said inconsistent with my post (other than your conclusion). What I said is (and what Hoya claims) is that the LifeStyle lens (especially front surface that is premolded) is based on MyStyle averages, rather than being completely customized. Therefor it is "possible" that the two lenses could end up being the same (even though one has a molded front and the other is free form). It is possible to submit a MyStyle order without any of the custom measurements (other than the questionnaire, basic Rx, and PD), and defaults are used for the other measurements. I was speculating that it might be possible that someone could answer the questions in such a way as to end up with a lens the same as either the LifeStyle Harmony or Clarity, but I think only the software developers know the answer to that.

Regarding corridor length, a lens like the Harmony is (I assume) going to have a longer corridor and larger intermediate for a given frame size than the Clarity. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that the Clarity is a harder design (transitions faster from far to near) and does not have as large an intermediate as the Harmony does, and it is not just a matter of distance vs near. The issue of having two different fitting height designs is a slightly different subject.

So in summary, I think there is confusion between how a lens is made (freeform vs molded) versus how it actually ends up. My contention (based on the online Hoya education class I took) is that the two lenses (MyStyle and LifeStyle) are not completely different designs, even though they are made differently, and even though the MyStyle has more customizable features (that the average wearer might not need and the defaults would be fine). I also contend (and corroborated by ThatOneGuy in his post above) that the MyStyple questionnaire and software interpretation of the answers is seriously flawed and could (as in my case when I placed a MyStyle order as discussed in my post above) result in a lens that is different than is what is desired or needed by the patient (difference meaning like the difference between LifeStyle Harmony vs Clarity). This is a software issue, not a manufacturing issue.
    I would have to agree that although various brands from the same manufacturer differ in design and market positioning, the averages and defaults provided by the software are most likely very similar in value.

Regarding corridor length, since both Clarity and Harmony are available in a regular and short version, it is not the length that defines the difference between the two. Also, the difference is not in the hardness either; although choosing the short corridor option on either design will add some hardness, but that's common with all manufacturer's designs.

The difference as I mentioned in my last post is in the design by the software; the Clarity design is more suitable for a patient that is a new presbyope and requires more use in the distance area of the lens. The Harmony is suited more for a patient that requires more assistance at the reading level. I would interpret that (without prejudice to either design) as Clarity has a wider distance viewing area, and Harmony has a wider near viewing area.

That said, both have incredibly wide distance areas, hence why I pick Harmony as the default since the patient can then have the best of both worlds.

In response to your last paragraph, when you order LS2, based on what version you prefer (Clarity or Harmony), a set of heights and monocular PD's and bingo Bob's your uncle. There is nothing further required and the software will then do it's thing.

With MyStyle orders, this lens requires a lot more training to the person dispensing it (and time) to ensure the right questions are answered properly along with very accurate vertex, panto and wrap positions on the patient so that none of the information and customization points get lost in translation by either the dispenser or software. As a side note, I have had the same high level of success with the standard level (non-Signature) orders, so perhaps sometimes less is more!?

Cheers,
    Rob

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The difference as I mentioned in my last post is in the design by the software; the Clarity design is more suitable for a patient that is a new presbyope and requires more use in the distance area of the lens. The Harmony is suited more for a patient that requires more assistance at the reading level.

I would interpret that (without prejudice to either design) as Clarity has a wider distance viewing area, and Harmony has a wider near viewing area.

That said, both have incredibly wide distance areas, hence why I pick Harmony as the default since the patient can then have the best of both worlds.
    What about intermediate area? I believe that the Harmony has larger intermediate because it is a softer design (longer transition area from far to near). The Clarity, being a harder design with smaller intermediate, has better distance and better near than the Harmony. These days, with so many people using computers and mobile devices, intermediate is important to many patients.

In response to your last paragraph, when you order LS2, based on what version you prefer (Clarity or Harmony), a set of heights and monocular PD's and bingo Bob's your uncle. There is nothing further required and the software will then do it's thing.

With MyStyle orders, this lens requires a lot more training to the person dispensing it (and time) to ensure the right questions are answered properly along with very accurate vertex, panto and wrap positions on the patient so that none of the information and customization points get lost in translation by either the dispenser or software. As a side note, I have had the same high level of success with the standard level (non-Signature) orders, so perhaps sometimes less is more!?
    Once the patient picks at least 5 of the 15 actives, and prioritizes them, my recollection is that the MyStyle can be ordered without any further custom measurements (other than basic Rx), and defaults will be used when not entered. I know that when the order for my personal MyStyle was entered, no custom measurements were taken and the system determined the defaults (there may have been one exception to this, I don't recall). So it is not mandatory that all the custom measurements be taken for MyStyle. That doesn't mean the lenses (MyStyle and LifteStyle) are identical, but in the Hoya online education class I took on LifeStyle lens, Hoya said the LifeStyle lens is basically the same as the MyStyle, but the LifeStyle uses MyStyle averages for the other customizations, and which are pre-finished into the front of LifeStyle (so the only the back of LifeStyle needs to be FF). As you mentioned, MyStyle is FF on front or back for each patient.

The problem I had with the MyStyle is that after doing the patient questionnaire on the Hoya order website, the Hoya order summary said I would be getting a hard design with fast transition from far to near (small intermediate), which is exactly what I didn't want. So I cancelled the order and got LifeStyle Harmony instead, which is an excellent lens IMO. Others in this forum have commented on the ambiguity of the questionnaire and also questioned its accuracy. At least with LifeStyle, I get to chose between Harmony and Clarity, so I know what I am getting. If Hoya can address this issue with the MyStyle questionnaire software, I think they would have a much better product. Perhaps they need to have an alternate to the 15 questions, and optionally let the optician decide which type of design to order for the MyStyle (similar to Hoya LifeStyle or Zeiss ID 2).

All of my comments apply to USA versions only.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    What about intermediate area? I believe that the Harmony has larger intermediate because it is a softer design (longer transition area from far to near). The Clarity, being a harder design with smaller intermediate, has better distance and better near than the Harmony. These days, with so many people using computers and mobile devices, intermediate is important to many patients.

Once the patient picks at least 5 of the 15 actives, and prioritizes them, my recollection is that the MyStyle can be ordered without any further custom measurements (other than basic Rx), and defaults will be used when not entered. I know that when the order for my personal MyStyle was entered, no custom measurements were taken and the system determined the defaults (there may have been one exception to this, I don't recall). So it is not mandatory that all the custom measurements be taken for MyStyle. That doesn't mean the lenses (MyStyle and LifteStyle) are identical, but in the Hoya online education class I took on LifeStyle lens, Hoya said the LifeStyle lens is basically the same as the MyStyle, but the LifeStyle uses MyStyle averages for the other customizations, and which are pre-finished into the front of LifeStyle (so the only the back of LifeStyle needs to be FF). As you mentioned, MyStyle is FF on front or back for each patient.

The problem I had with the MyStyle is that after doing the patient questionnaire on the Hoya order website, the Hoya order summary said I would be getting a hard design with fast transition from far to near (small intermediate), which is exactly what I didn't want. So I cancelled the order and got LifeStyle Harmony instead, which is an excellent lens IMO. Others in this forum have commented on the ambiguity of the questionnaire and also questioned its accuracy. At least with LifeStyle, I get to chose between Harmony and Clarity, so I know what I am getting. If Hoya can address this issue with the MyStyle questionnaire software, I think they would have a much better product. Perhaps they need to have an alternate to the 15 questions, and optionally let the optician decide which type of design to order for the MyStyle (similar to Hoya LifeStyle or Zeiss ID 2).

All of my comments apply to USA versions only.
    The transition area as you refer to is corridor length? If so, there are two versions (regular long and short) on both Clarity and Harmony; it's not the corridor length that differentiates the Clarity & Harmony designs, it's in the distance and reading areas. As for intermediate area, I can only assume that the Harmony would provide a slightly wider one vs. Clarity.

As far as the MyStyle questionnaire goes for Canadian customers, there are no software or design issues up here that I am aware of and we sell a lot of this product in all three customization levels with great success.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The transition area as you refer to is corridor length? If so, there are two versions (regular long and short) on both Clarity and Harmony; it's not the corridor length that differentiates the Clarity & Harmony designs, it's in the distance and reading areas. As for intermediate area, I can only assume that the Harmony would provide a slightly wider one vs. Clarity.
    Yes, the Harmony has a wider and longer intermediate. That is why the distance and reading are not quite as good as Clarity. The basic nature of PAL lenses is that there are tradeoffs in the design.

With regard to corridor length, I think there may confusion as to what you specify on input to the computer to finish the lens, and what actually comes out of the finishing process, which usually takes into account other factors, including B height of frame, and design (Harmony vs. Clarity).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Yes, the Harmony has a wider and longer intermediate. That is why the distance and reading are not quite as good as Clarity. The basic nature of PAL lenses is that there are tradeoffs in the design.

With regard to corridor length, I think there may confusion as to what you specify on input to the computer to finish the lens, and what actually comes out of the finishing process, which usually takes into account other factors, including B height of frame, and design (Harmony vs. Clarity).
    The Harmony has a more advanced reading area than Clarity, you have them reversed.

All FF software regardless of manufacturer takes all pertinent information and incorporates it into the design for best optimization and results, which would include those variables you have listed. However, I'm positive corridor length is not affected since the front mold design on these two specific products is already set prior to back surface processing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    However, I'm positive corridor length is not affected since the front mold design on these two specific products is already set prior to back surface processing.
    That sounds correct, but I don't believe the corridor for Harmony and Clarity are the same. I think Harmony is longer. In other words, the short corridor Harmony is longer than the short corridor Clarity, etc. Note that I am not talking about minimum fitting height, but the actual corridor length of the finished lenses.
    Last edited by m0002a; 07-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the back-and-forth conversation re: the Hoya designs. As previously mentioned, my office is/was a big Hoya account and my own (former) rep had once said the differences between Harmony/Clarity were ever so small that it's nice to have a bit more technical info on the design differences. Interestingly enough, my OD has seen more "problem-focus" visits with the new ID2 designs than he remembers seeing with the original ID style. He admits that maybe that design is sticking to memory more than others.

Thread Information