Thread: BonLook Eyewear, Montreal ............................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper BonLook Eyewear, Montreal ............................................

BonLook Eyewear, Montreal

ranking.........................> 207,127, in USA
    56,402.............. http://bonlook.com

This latest addition to Canadian online opticals has been financed by the Quebec Provincial Government under their startup program for new industries.

They seem to be doing good with their website ranking, which is even in a top performance in the USA. Probably another candidate for future Essilor additions. So far I have no idea who is behind it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This website looks like Canada's version of Warby Parker.
    Not a metal frame in sight.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    http://www.bonlook.com/page/about-us

Our Products section gives a good idea.

Occupation

Blue Jumper BonLook’s eyewear features lenses by Essilor ..................

Looks like another Essilor supported or more On-Line Optical that ranks presently No 15 in the rankings.at
    http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm

OUR PHILOSOPHY

Our focus is to design frames that highlight natural beauty and individuality with fashion-forward silhouettes and bold colors and prints. We hear from our happy customers that they feel great in their new glasses & that they have received many compliments.

BonLook’s eyewear features lenses by Essilor, the world’s leading manufacturer of optical lenses, which are scratch-resistant, anti-glare and the most comfortable, durable, and lightweight choice available. The lenses are customized to your prescription by a certified optician at a top U.S. lab in Brooklyn, New York.

By cutting the traditional middle men and heavy distribution structure of most eyewear brands, we put ourselves in a position where we can offer you unparalleled value for your prescription frames.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 07-25-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Looks like another Essilor supported or more On-Line Optical that ranks presently No 15 in the rankings.at
    http://optochemicals.com/web_listing.htm

OUR PHILOSOPHY

Our focus is to design frames that highlight natural beauty and individuality with fashion-forward silhouettes and bold colors and prints. We hear from our happy customers that they feel great in their new glasses & that they have received many compliments.

BonLook’s eyewear features lenses by Essilor, the world’s leading manufacturer of optical lenses, which are scratch-resistant, anti-glare and the most comfortable, durable, and lightweight choice available. The lenses are customized to your prescription by a certified optician at a top U.S. lab in Brooklyn, New York.

By cutting the traditional middle men and heavy distribution structure of most eyewear brands, we put ourselves in a position where we can offer you unparalleled value for your prescription frames.
    So it's not really a true Canadian company if they are sourcing and manufacturing from Brooklyn. And the Quebec government helped fund this venture? Damn, ham and cheese food truck here I come. Ham and buns from Costco, cheese from France.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    So it's not really a true Canadian company if they are sourcing and manufacturing from Brooklyn. And the Quebec government helped fund this venture? Damn, ham and cheese food truck here I come. Ham and buns from Costco, cheese from France.
    I thought that was really strange too. At the very least I would assume that a Government sponsored business idea (particularly in Quebec) would have to utilize a lens manufacturer in Quebec.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I thought that was really strange too. At the very least I would assume that a Government sponsored business idea (particularly in Quebec) would have to utilize a lens manufacturer in Quebec.
    Agree, one would think and seems logical to me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Quebec Order of Opticians has started court actions against Bonlook for illegal eyeglass sales in Quebec. Not an opto or optician....no right to sell eyeglasses in Quebec

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

Yes you are right ........................however all or nearly all of them belong today to the big E and the one in New York probably too to keep it in the family.

Do not forget that Quebec is a french speaking Province and the French from France feel comfortable here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I believe that in Quebec Bonlook has signed on an optometrist to be the corporate director in order to satisfy the order of optometrists. I believe this gives them "cover" legally speaking, to sell glasses in quebec.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

I believe that in Quebec Bonlook has signed on an optometrist to be the corporate director in order to satisfy the order of optometrists. I believe this gives them "cover" legally speaking, to sell glasses in quebec.

Perfect Quebec Way to go............................Quebec financed and Quebec protected, while they
    promote a lab in New York.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Their frames are Chinese and lenses are mostly stock from Thailand or China, edged in NY.
    This is the same as every other on-line and plenty of B/M opticals too!
    I think that using a lab in NYC is easier and the only logical choice if most of their clients are Americans - the shipping alone from Canada to the US is way too expensive.
    They are certainly pioneers in the sense of being a Quebec based company actually delivering glasses to Quebeckers with a sort of nod from the Order of optometrists that it is ok.
    We'll see if things work out better for them than they did for Rivet and Sway, a remarkably similar business (female-oriented acetate frames, esthetics, messaging etc...) which recently closed its doors.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Where are the language police!? Bon Look? Sounds illegal to me.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper optical corporations are now manufacturing the bulk of lenses in Thailand ...........

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

Their frames are Chinese and lenses are mostly stock from Thailand or China, edged in NY.
    This is the same as every other on-line and plenty of B/M opticals too!

All the well known optical corporations are now manufacturing the bulk of lenses in Thailand. See the listing of them at -----------> http://bangkok-companies.com/categor...anies_p302.htm

China is still making most of the frames, but it will start changing soon.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Quebec language police .................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kenneth View Post

Where are the language police!? Bon Look? Sounds illegal to me.
    Most Opti Boarders have no idea about the Quebec language police who looks into anything that is not French first and the guilty ones are getting taken before the law. If you want to get back at somebody you dislike, point the finger at him, and get the language police interested.

In 1998 an employee of today's largest optical corporations wanted a MSDS sheet on one of my products and we only had it in English and the person was very upset at that and stated that we were actings against the laws. A few days later I got a long letter from the Quebec Government language police stating that I was given 3 month to make an equal size website in French, to the one just launched in English only around that time.

I was given 3 months to complete that, or pay a fine of $ 11,000.00. I was able to do the job in that time but the site still is in bad french, says that it is, and does not get many visitors anyway.

I have been tipped off, that the "BonLook" site has the financial backing of some of the wealthiest and most influential Quebecers which could indicate that they will not be bothered by legal problems.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, want to float a few hints, initials, or clues as to who is backing them. Is this another "Charbonneau of the Optical industry". That would be very interesting reading. Spill the beans and gives us some Tabloid gossip.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    powerful friends or not, bonlook's website seems to be bilingual and fully available in french....
    i don't see where they would be breaking any local laws in Quebec....

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Bon Look website gained a 10% better ranking over ...............................

According to today's Alexa ranking the Bon Look website gained a 10% better ranking over the period of July 2014.

The ranking is done by counting the traffic going to a particular website. Obviously they must have done a good job promoting their site. More lookers usually indicates also to get into more sales when the count is up.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bonlook introduced metals! :)

Thread Information