Thread: identifying box store progressives...HELP

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

identifying box store progressives...HELP

Ok, We've had quite a few patients come in to get new glasses who have gotten their previous pair somewhere else. Some of them will say they got them at Lens Crafters, Walmart, Sears, etc. There have been numerous times that we haven't been able to identify the progressive based on the laser engravings on the lens, we've used the newer progressive identifier book and older ones, but these markings are no where to be found.

My question to all of you is this...Do you know what some of these box stores are using for there progressives? It would help a lot to know what they've been in, in case they want to keep the same prog. or what to put them in if they are switching.

Any ideas???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The box stores switch suppliers from time to time, and they don't always use just one brand. Even if they do use one brand, they may use different models within the brand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My first question is, why does it matter? I say this not to scold you but to qualify your thought process.

Imagine you were fitting contacts and your patient has been wearing Freqency 55, or B&L Softlens 38. Great lenses, 20 years ago. Do you fit them in same lens or do you move them to a better silicone hydrogel?

Imagine again if you will, your grandfather goes to the car dealership to trade in his 1993 Ford Taurus. He loved his Taurus, great car, but the paint is fading and the upholstery is getting worn. They ask him "did you like your Taurus??" "Sure did!" he replies, "its your lucky day, we have a 1994 Taurus on the lot with only 100 miles on it, perfect condition, sunroof, 8 track, and its priced the same as 2014 model, its a steal!" He drives away with a "new" 1994. You would be furious because you would think he was ripped off. "But you could have a NEW 2014 car for the same price!"

Why are those any different than dispensing progressive lenses? Personally, I fit based on lifestyle and RX, and find the very best lens for each patient no matter what they have worn before.

Quote Originally Posted by kcox View Post
    Ok, We've had quite a few patients come in to get new glasses who have gotten their previous pair somewhere else. Some of them will say they got them at Lens Crafters, Walmart, Sears, etc. There have been numerous times that we haven't been able to identify the progressive based on the laser engravings on the lens, we've used the newer progressive identifier book and older ones, but these markings are no where to be found.

My question to all of you is this...Do you know what some of these box stores are using for there progressives? It would help a lot to know what they've been in, in case they want to keep the same prog. or what to put them in if they are switching.

Any ideas???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also fit by lifestyle and Rx...BUT we have patients that come in and are pretty set on staying in the same progressive and if we CAN fit them in their current progressive we will. But sometimes we can't identify them. It is not all about keeping them in the same one, because I do understand the importance of lifestyle and rx. For those patients though, that want to stay in the same and don't want to change. I like to have the option. Otherwise, I recommend something else based on their needs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Most of the Generic house brand lenses are a loose copy of the Comfort. Without mapping each lens its almost impossible to find an equivalent. However, if they didn't go to where they got them before (And came to you) there is a reason...
    Maybe they don't like them as much as they said they do... otherwise they wouldn't be knocking on your door.

I can't tell you the number of patients who told me they loved their lenses, but on closer questioning they had terrible distance width, poor computer area, and lots of distortion. Patients are not the best communicators when I comes to Optics or their lenses. Look for the signs, rubbing their eyes, fishing for sweet spots, not comfortable driving at night.

PS I used to live in Mount Vernon, on Hwy 9 near Big Lake, ages ago.

I also fit by lifestyle and Rx...BUT we have patients that come in and are pretty set on staying in the same progressive and if we CAN fit them in their current progressive we will. But sometimes we can't identify them. It is not all about keeping them in the same one, because I do understand the importance of lifestyle and rx. For those patients though, that want to stay in the same and don't want to change. I like to have the option. Otherwise, I recommend something else based on their needs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the tips! It is helpful!
    I have lived in Skagit Valley my whole life and can't see myself anywhere else. Its a beautiful place to live.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fitting with an "equivalent" lens just never sat right with me. Doesn't anyone remember when lens companies came out with new designs because they were "better?" I'm a firm believer that certain lens design philosophies are BETTER than others, and thus, certain lenses will perform BETTER, albeit DIFFERENT.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also believe there to be better lens designs out there. But like I stated before. Patients are sometimes stubborn about being in the same lens design. Once we've given a recommendation and talked about their options and they decline...then we are back to what they've been in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could you then make a general statement that...........familiarity breed content(ment)?????
    Last edited by uncut; 08-01-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: sp
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I also believe there to be better lens designs out there. But like I stated before. Patients are sometimes stubborn about being in the same lens design. Once we've given a recommendation and talked about their options and they decline...then we are back to what they've been in.
    A lot of patients have had a tough experience with progressives, and suffered through multiple purchases that turned into a nightmare (or at least, less than satisfactory vision). So when they finally find something that works, they are reluctant to change. I don't blame them, and I would not necessarily say it is always a matter of being stubborn. I do agree that there is probably something better out there than what they have been wearing, but there are also a lot of lenses that may be worse. One way to get around this issue would be to offer the customer a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee.

Opticians typically don't understand these issues, because they pay very little (or nothing) for their own lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    A lot of patients have had a tough experience with progressives, and suffered through multiple purchases that turned into a nightmare (or at least, less than satisfactory vision). So when they finally find something that works, they are reluctant to change. I don't blame them, and I would not necessarily say it is always a matter of being stubborn. I do agree that there is probably something better out there than what they have been wearing, but there are also a lot of lenses that may be worse. One way to get around this issue would be to offer the customer a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee.

Opticians typically don't understand these issues, because they pay very little (or nothing) for their own lenses.

money back.....is just asking for failure, and psychologically sets the stage for failure.....a little like saying "Come back if you have a problem!" Immediately, the person is thinking.... "PROBLEM! Am I supposed to have a problem?. Could I possibly end up with a problem? I will watch for a problem, and I will find it!"

Doomed. Use the tool, but don't wave it in front of the patient(a dental mannerism).

I wanna work where you do....Nirvana! You get freeee lenses, or pay very little for them? I know a lot of corp 20 hour a week opticians that wish for that....freebies are hard for some of us to scrounge up, now-a-days.

I did not know that only opticians of the 3 O's got perks
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any ideas???
    Got off topic a little ways, OP...sorry!

I would simply ask.

If the place they got them at is non co-operative, or inaccessible...use a brand that you have confidence in fulfilling the person's needs.

There are a myriad of multifocal designs, and the chain stores will tend to switch loyalty, or blank buy temporarily from a given supplier.

Often, the employees do not know what brand they are using, generically speaking.

A hint as to what the brand is might be the shape, position, and font size of the engravings.

Some patients may even have their "authenticity" card in their wallet!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know the LC's go to was the accolade for a little while, of course by now who knows ;)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    THANK YOU to those who stayed on topic! I appreciate your straight forward answers. And the information is helpful! Good stuff :)

Thread Information