Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Universe has lost a powerful optical force...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by spex911 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being curious about something, especially wanting to know what happened to such a landmark figure in the optical industry. As humans, we have no other option but to guess and infer when not knowing information, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    I understand people are curious, but frankly, it's not their business, and it's rather rude to speculate about such things in public.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I understand people are curious, but frankly, it's not their business, and it's rather rude to speculate about such things in public.
    Yeah, but this is the only real optical forum for the United States to discuss this-- It's very relevant to the optical field.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know...how a person dies is not important. How they lived is important, and Darryl lived a good life and shared so much with so many. Give it a rest, please.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, but this is the only real optical forum for the United States to discuss this-- It's very relevant to the optical field.
    HIs passing is relevant in that we have lost one of the great minds in our industry. The manner of his passing is not relevant to anything.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I go away for a week and return to read this stunningly sad news.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

I can't help but think there's another dimension out there now getting answers to their mathematical questions by a Titan.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The fact that no one wants to say is telling enough. The problem with not being open about it is everyone draws their own conclusions. It's fair and reasonable to share the truth, for better or worse. It wont make us think less of Darryl, unless it should.

but i will stay out of it now, I've said how i feel about him already. I'm still shocked about it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is WRONG with some of you? A fine and beautiful person has left us far too soon and the only thing that interests you is the CAUSE?

Go read a tabloid if you have nothing more important to do.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    What is WRONG with some of you? A fine and beautiful person has left us far too soon and the only thing that interests you is the CAUSE?

Go read a tabloid if you have nothing more important to do.
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    When no cause is stated, its usually because the cause is not known pending an autopsy (I have lost 2 other young friends this year to natural causes, even though they were healthy, it took a while to learn what happened). It can take 30 days for it to be released if there is no evidence of foul play involved. but again, its the family's choice.

Darryl was incredibly private, so they may be just honoring his wishes, and we should remember him more for how he lived than how he died.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well, if anyone hears anything, let us know, most of us are curious ....

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My daughter was just 26 years old when she collapsed while getting ready for work one morning. Her heart had stopped and although they tried to revive her, she fell into a coma from which she never woke. She didn't take drugs and she didn't do anything to cause this - it just happened.

We struggled for weeks afterwards trying to find out what happened, however even the autopsy failed to find a specific cause,and almost 11 years later we still we know why she died. We probably never will.

I have never written about this before for one very good reason - it is no one else's business!

When I think of how Darryl's family would feel reading some of the comments and horrible speculation made here, my heart breaks for them in a way that only someone who has lost a child can. And I would be ashamed if those comments cause them any anguish or grief.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    I took up skateboarding again because of Darryl. I enjoyed his humor and always liked his FB posts. We exchanged Christmas cards every year and I would send him a gift certificate to a local steak dive every year. Humble guy would give you the shirt off his back. I asked him for advice on getting the kinks out of a spreadsheet on best form lenses once and within a week he had trumped me by putting it into Spectacle Optics, I created a wrap calculator and in a week he had a calculator, I joked with him and said I had a print function in mine and within days he had a print function in his. It's wasn't even how much he knew or what he knew it was how effortless it came to him. I always said God had his ears, he was too good to hang with us so God took him back. If anyone can have their life celebrated it would be Darryl, with all those accomplishments he was still just a plain and simple cool guy.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I'm going to ignore the morbidity that's being casually tossed around here ...

I've found myself hitting the backspace a lot in this text box. I think it's really hard to adequately put into words just how much Darryl changed not only the industry, but each and every one of us. Could any of us say we'd be as good of opticians, optometrists, or technicians without his presence in our lives? I sincerely doubt it. And whether you knew him, talked to him, or even if you never read anything he'd ever written, I can guarantee you were taught something by someone who was profoundly influenced by him. That's how much clout he had.

In Darryl's memory, I will be formally asking Carl Zeiss Vision to allow a limited printing of Introduction to Ophthalmic Optics for the free donation to universities and libraries around the country, even at my expense. There is no doubt in my mind that Darryl will continue to influence men and women of optics well into the next century.

My thoughts and sincerest wishes of condolences go to both his family, friends, and coworkers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I completely agree Steve, unfortunately, I think your comments are going to fall on deaf ears. Those of us that feel the same way you do are not the persons making the comments. I am curious as well, BUT understand that there is sometimes no answer, and more importantly none of my business.

Bless you for a very wonderful and heartfelt addition to this thread Steve. I appreciate your wise insight as always. Peace be with you and Darryl's family!

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I took up skateboarding again because of Darryl. I enjoyed his humor and always liked his FB posts. We exchanged Christmas cards every year and I would send him a gift certificate to a local steak dive every year. Humble guy would give you the shirt off his back. I asked him for advice on getting the kinks out of a spreadsheet on best form lenses once and within a week he had trumped me by putting it into Spectacle Optics, I created a wrap calculator and in a week he had a calculator, I joked with him and said I had a print function in mine and within days he had a print function in his. It's wasn't even how much he knew or what he knew it was how effortless it came to him. I always said God had his ears, he was too good to hang with us so God took him back. If anyone can have their life celebrated it would be Darryl, with all those accomplishments he was still just a plain and simple cool guy.
    Thanks for putting things in perspective Harry! Love it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, if anyone hears anything, let us know, most of us are curious ....
    No, MOST of us are not curious. YOU are curious, morbidly so. Please go away.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    My daughter was just 26 years old when she collapsed while getting ready for work one morning. Her heart had stopped and although they tried to revive her, she fell into a coma from which she never woke. She didn't take drugs and she didn't do anything to cause this - it just happened.

We struggled for weeks afterwards trying to find out what happened, however even the autopsy failed to find a specific cause,and almost 11 years later we still we know why she died. We probably never will.

I have never written about this before for one very good reason - it is no one else's business!

When I think of how Darryl's family would feel reading some of the comments and horrible speculation made here, my heart breaks for them in a way that only someone who has lost a child can. And I would be ashamed if those comments cause them any anguish or grief.
    Thank You for sharing.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Let's stay positive.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    Thanks for putting things in perspective Harry! Love it!
    It's easy to say when you love someone. I have always been an emotional individual so love and hate have always come easy, but truly a mind like Darryl's and someone so easily able to express friendship back is remarkable. In my mind he gave more than a lifetimes worth of knowledge to so many, that makes Darryl immortal.

His book he made freely available through his site so his knowledge lives on. His graphics are in System for Ophthalmic Optics, when the ABDO wanted more challenging CETs Darryl delivered with papers on HOAs that used zernike polynomials and differential equations that challenged readers while still being simple enough to grasp the concept.

I understand the curiosity, some of us were born kings and others tyrants without the dichotomy we would be able to grasp the concept of greatness. This thread amount others elevates many of Darryl's threads, he never waivered from his ability to see the Forrest from the trees and often ignored many of the posts that were not constructive while still contributing. Looking back if you took the posts that were confrontational out of every thread Darryl posted in you would still have a very fluid dialogue volleying back and forth to an ultimate apex of knowledge on the subject at hand.

In a word GRACE. I don't deal with death well myself so I have no business judging what brings closure to other, but for me I have to enjoy and drink in his life with us and value what I have. I don't want to know because inside I believe that no man can give that much and have much left for himself, he died of a big heart the most honorable life to live ends and continues like that.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Two things. One is the speculation. Rick, our Zeiss rep was in on Monday, and we had a discussion about it. I live in Darryl's neck of the woods, but was unable to attend the funeral due to being away from home. (I"m 45 min away from Jefferson City). I believe they are doing an autopsy, but there is no suspect of foul play either from Darryl or from outside. I know people are curious, especially at this young of an age, but please stop the open speculation and give due respect.

Second, my memory of Darryl is working with him when Teflon first came out. He sent me a bunch of samples and was working with our office on how to make our Santinelli 9000 cut poly Teflon on axis. And he put his all into it. Big box of lenses, Alcohol (rubbing of course!), finger cots and PATIENCE. He was genuinely interested in helping us succeed at getting over this problem of slick lenses being able to be edged in house. He truly wanted to help.

We have ALL learned a great deal from Darryl. He could have sat in an office somewhere and typed up white papers, but he was here, answering questions and helping us ALL out. This is where he did his best work, and we all benefited from his expertise and knowledge. He was always kind and never condescending, never spoke "down" to any of us, and generally made us all better at what we do. Thank you Darryl. You will be missed.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Instead of being ghoulish, let's all remember him for the kind and generous man that he was.

Let's leave the morbid, ghoulish desire to find out exactly what happened to the faux celebrities and past movie stars and political figures, and not one of our own.

How he died is less important than how he lived. Please leave it that way.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I lost my brother when he was very young... My reasoning is that God missed him so much that he wanted him back. We were just lucky to have the time together that we did have. It makes me feel a little better knowing that he is in a better place. While we may not have the answers, and we may be sad, I feel better knowing that he is having a great time smiling down on us. Sometimes that helps.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find comfort in Einstein's thoughts about "death". I can't help but think Darryl would agree.

Death does not exist in a timeless, spaceless world. In the end, even Einstein admitted, “Now Besso” (an old friend) “has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us…know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.” Immortality doesn’t mean a perpetual existence in time without end, but rather resides outside of time altogether.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I find comfort in Einstein's thoughts about "death". I can't help but think Darryl would agree.

Me too. Energy is neither created or destroyed.

Guys, enough speculating about his death. Like Steve, I too have endured the loss of a child and it's hard to endure the "whys" and "how comes" when there is no answer and there never will be one.

I hurt for Darryl's family. Professionally we all know he was an absolute genius but his family...his poor family.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I did share this thread with Darryl's family, and I know they have been here.

Thread Information