Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pink tint for melatonin

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

pink tint for melatonin

Greetings optiboarders
    I have a patient, whom was referred to us, looking for a pink tinted clip on for wearing more at night to raise their melatonin levels. Wondering if anybody has any experience in this or know the rose tint that can be used. from my understanding it is a 20% pink tint.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have any information on the use of a pink or rose tint to increase melatonin levels, however I am using BlueTech Indoor lenses while using my computer, especially in the evenings. It does make a difference in my ability to fall asleep(when I'm supposed to). Your lab could glaze a clip on frame with planos, though cost may be a factor. They're not cheap.

In the past, we used pink or rose tints for people who were sensitive to the flicker of overhead fluorescent lights.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Judy Canty;488068]I don't have any information on the use of a pink or rose tint to increase melatonin levels, however I am using BlueTech Indoor lenses while using my computer, especially in the evenings. It does make a difference in my ability to fall asleep(when I'm supposed to). Your lab could glaze a clip on frame with planos, though cost may be a factor. They're not cheap.
    I love my BlueTech glasses also but I don't like how they look! I wear them at home all the time, lol. I also have the Blue Tech sunglasses which look good. Are you selling much of the BlueTech indoor version?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish I knew. My accounts all have the information but, like anything new, they seem to be hesitant to try it. I advise them to use it as a task-specific product like computer PALs. The tint is disconcerting, though I wore them to a friends wedding last month and it created some very lively conversations. 2 MDs marrying each other and half the guests were in the medical field. Opportunity taken!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I wish I knew. My accounts all have the information but, like anything new, they seem to be hesitant to try it. I advise them to use it as a task-specific product like computer PALs. The tint is disconcerting, though I wore them to a friends wedding last month and it created some very lively conversations. 2 MDs marrying each other and half the guests were in the medical field. Opportunity taken!
    They remind me of first generation transitions.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I try to liken BluTech to computer safety glasses. It's like any other profession where you have eyewear to protect your eyes, except in this case instead of side shields, you have a tint.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    fwiw........I have a pair of BluTech as well and love the tint while on my computer....especially at night. I agree about the cosmetics of the tint however. It doesn't bother me but I'm sure most women wouldn't want it on their all day everyday pair but for computer lenses I recommend them. I have tried one of the blue blocking AR's but I caught too much backside reflection for my liking. I am getting ready to order a Chemistrie Blue clip that has a blue blocking AR on them. Saw them at the AOA and I didn't notice the backside reflection on the sample as the clip lenses in the frame were regular AR. I liked them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't use BluTech lenses and now my curiosity is peaked. Judy, would you have a picture of the disconcerting tint? I've got a pair with prevencia which reflects a purple on the front of the lens in fluorescent lights. I am just curious. ETA: Never mind I googled some images. :)

As to the OP I have two older ladies who insist on their rose tint for cosmetic reasons, but I would be interested to know what effects the rose color has on melatonin.

Occupation
    Here's a few pics of ones I made for me - the color is more obvious because it's a -12 and a -14 in there.

The official site is http://blutechlenses.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	11098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	11099
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Attachment 11100
    Please don't ask me why it's sideways. I don't know why it's sideways. My rx is a mere +2.50/+2.50 and I'm not wearing any makeup because I'm at home.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Judy! I can see the slight cast of color. It's about the same on my prevencia coated lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have both, actually the BlueTech indoor and a pair with our BlueScreen (Prevencia equivalent). The BlueTech seems to be more comfortable for extended periods at the computer and watching TV in the evenings. The BlueScreen is ok, better than a conventional AR under the same conditions. BlueScreen in a blue OVVO frame is a striking look though.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

I don't have any information on the use of a pink or rose tint to increase melatonin levels, however I am using BlueTech Indoor lenses while using my computer, especially in the evenings. It does make a difference in my ability to fall asleep(when I'm supposed to). Your lab could glaze a clip on frame with planos, though cost may be a factor. They're not cheap.

In the past, we used pink or rose tints for people who were sensitive to the flicker of overhead fluorescent lights.

Judy is totally right in the last paragraph on the copied post above. It used to be very common to sell the old glass lenses in pink (AO, Cruxite a.b or c, or B&L, Softlite 1,2,3 ) in the old days, to reduce eye strain, induced by the bluish light tubes when they came into fashion.

I have checked into the the word and meaning of Melamine and found that this is an interesting chemical mainly affecting aging females.

Overview

Melatonin is a hormone secreted by the pineal gland in the brain. It helps regulate other hormones and maintains the

body's circadian rhythm.

The circadian rhythm is an internal 24-hour “clock” that plays a critical role in when we fall asleep and when we wake up.

When it is dark, your body produces more melatonin; when it is light, the production of melatonin drops. Being exposed to

bright lights in the evening or too little light during the day can disrupt the body’s normal melatonin cycles. For example, jet

lag, shift work, and poor vision can disrupt melatonin cycles.

Melatonin also helps control the timing and release of female reproductive hormones. It helps determine when a woman

starts to menstruate, the frequency and duration of menstrual cycles, and when a woman stops menstruating

(menopause).

Some researchers also believe that melatonin levels may be related to aging. For example, young children have the

highest levels of nighttime melatonin. Researchers believe these levels drop as we age. Some people think lower levels

of melatonin may explain why some older adults have sleep problems and tend to go to bed and wake up earlier than

when they were younger. However, newer research calls this theory into question.

Melatonin has strong antioxidant effects.. Preliminary evidence suggests that it may help strengthen the immune system. If you are considering using melatonin supplements, talk to your doctor first.

Source: Melatonin | University of Maryland Medical

Center
    http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...#ixzz36HdBtQVY

University of Maryland Medical Center

Read some more on the same article and you will agree that the word MELATONIN is misleading on and for optical

lenses.

I have also been on the website of Blue Tech and there is no spectrometer chart to proof that yhese lenses do not transmit blue light.

An AR coating is made to transmit light through a lens, the more the better as everybody claims and now suddenly they do both ...................they transmit more light, but also absorb more.
    You can still do that in your own dye pot.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    Greetings optiboarders
    I have a patient, whom was referred to us, looking for a pink tinted clip on for wearing more at night to raise their melatonin levels. Wondering if anybody has any experience in this or know the rose tint that can be used. from my understanding it is a 20% pink tint.

Thanks in advance

Dan
    Do you have a source from her of where she got this information? It sounds like another of those sham medical sites touting things to get people to spend more money on useless things.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you everyone for the feed back.

I have called several labs and they have no data supporting what my patient is looking for.

The Dr was her chiropractor, whom I must say is a darn good chiropractor and my optometrist husband. However he does take a holistic approach to health that sometimes seam to be on the fringe.

I have made blutec lenses for my brother for the computer and sleep which were prescribed by the same doctor

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Greetings optiboarders

Thanks in advance

Dan
    I bet if you call BPI they'll have heard of it and know the deal. They do, or did, a lot of therapeutic tints.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Thanks Judy and Bill for the pictures of BluTech lenses, I hadn't had the chance to see any yet.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Here is the Spectrometer graph of a full fledged Blue-Blocker lens ..................

Here is the Spectrometer graph of a full fledged Blue-Blocker lens ...............................
    Full absorption of UV and blue light up to 525 nm is what you need to claim full protection.

To get the full size graph click on it and then again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OMS Blue-Blocker070314.jpg  
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 07-03-2014 at 03:45 AM.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    "An AR coating is made to transmit light through a lens, the more the better as everybody claims and now suddenly they do both ...................they transmit more light, but also absorb more.
    You can still do that in your own dye pot."

+1

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    so after taking to the patent more about the issue. The blue blocker would work. but the rose color is to trick the melatonin glands into secreting more melatonin.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    but the rose color is to trick the melatonin glands into secreting more melatonin.
    *snort* sorry, junk science just causes me to sneeze.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    *snort* sorry, junk science just causes me to sneeze.
    Could you please find a more respectful way to respond?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I agree, think it is a bunch of hogwash

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Could you please find a more respectful way to respond?
    Ummmm...ok...but when did opticians start allowing chiropractors to dictate the type of lens that is dispensed? When does the optician start telling the patient that he/she has been fed a diet of baloney?

Chiropractors treat bones, joints, and muscles. They are regulated by their medical association to only do that. They are not licensed to do any thing else. Doesn't anyone else have a problem with this?

Thread Information