Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lab Errors

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Recently had a job come back with the correct parameters but the lenses had an unattractive yellowish hue to them. I called the lab to let them know I was returning for a re-do and when I explained the issue the person said, "Oh yeah, the yellow looking ones. We are getting a lot of those back." So my next question was, "Why would they be sent, why would that not be noticed way before they even get to finishing?" Of course she had no answer. I haven't seen anything like that before or since, thankfully. But I was bewildered as to how they got past lab inspection that way.
    I've had my fair share of fat fingering errors on orders and getting plus instead of minus, etc. It just makes me realize how important it is to slow down and recheck orders before I hit send. Let's face it when you do something day in and day out it becomes rote and sometimes your brain disconnects. Just like driving the exact same way to work everyday and getting there and not remembering if you stopped at all the red lights.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "...sometimes your brain disconnects."

When I worked wholesale for AO (yes a looooong time ago), we had an account return an OU sph double D uncut Rx because we sent two right lenses. How did that get shipped? We discussed it for almost five minutes before someone said, "Ya know, if we rotate one lens 180 degrees, we'd have a right and a left."

They'd been correct all along, just happened to land on the table w/ one lens reversed when unpacked. Fastest remake ever.
    Last edited by waynegilpin; 07-01-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    deleted

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    for the thread about the 33 pd, from the lab that sent that pd in a 54? eye frame. I posted reply, but it lools as if it didn't 'take'.

and that was not a monocular pd reading 33 od and 31.5 os? That is what I would have assumed given the frame size.... is it just me, or did this rx make sense to anyone else? i mean the fact that the measure would be a 1.5 difference which is normal distance near difference for adults, goes out the window when you are speaking of a small childs' distance/near... rarely more than a mm. if that much. I do a lot of kids as well as adults in my practice.......... I have seen that much asymitry in pd' s often.... I know you have as well..

by the way, i Stll would have called the optician.......
    Last edited by rrgirl; 07-01-2014 at 10:56 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out and yes spelling is not my strong point. I have tried the spell check and for what ever reason I can not get it to work.
    I was not trying to slaming the lab we all make mistakes and I thought it was funny. Here is my lab errors when I first started cutting I cut a pal upside down 1st week on the job ( never had work in the field so I had a lot to learn )
    What was your biggest mistake?

When I started in the lab glass lenses were dominant and CR39 was the new boy on the block. I made a mistake, yes, I tried to heat temper a Cr39 lens. Had to get an exhaust fan to clear the smoke from the lab. Needless to say the lens did not pass the dropball test.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gordmac View Post
    When I started in the lab glass lenses were dominant and CR39 was the new boy on the block. I made a mistake, yes, I tried to heat temper a Cr39 lens. Had to get an exhaust fan to clear the smoke from the lab. Needless to say the lens did not pass the dropball test.
    I really had to laugh ! Been there - done that (and I can say more than once....I was a slow learner!)
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Thread Information