Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UV photometer. Do you have one in your optical store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV photometer. Do you have one in your optical store?

A customer brought in a pair of inexpensive sunglasses and asked us to check if it is 100% UV Protected. We do not have a UV photometer. Do you recommend that we purchase one to offer this service?

Yes. Built into my new (2 years ago) Huvitz 7000 lensmeter.

B

Comment

We have a UV photometer on our antiquated Humphrey lens analyzer. I've had one similar situation in about 5 years in the business (to check UV transmission.) Definitely nice to have the ability to check tho.

Comment

Having a UV Meter as a sales tool ................................

I have manufactured one of the first UV meters in 1984 and then sold several thousand of them over the years, but the interest in the retail world has totally died down over the last many years and we only get the occasional inquiry.

Having a UV Meter as a sales tool in a optical retail store has always been a beautiful tool.

Comment

Yes, it's built into my autolensmeter.

Comment

Yeah, we've got one built into our Visionix VX35.
            Sincerely,
            Chad Sobodash ABO-AC

Comment

UV meter built into your lensometer ???????? ............................

I am just wondering how you demonstrate a pair of sunglasses, one with UV protection and one without ........with your UV meter built into your lensometer ????????????????

With a free standing UV meter you can have 5 people standing around it, see everything and you can flip ane and rhen to other pair through it and everybody sees the results instantly.

Comment

Most sunglasses like you are speaking of, the lenses are made of some type of PMMA/acrylic material or polycarbonate because the material for the most part is inexpensive and easy to work with. That being said those materials naturally filter UVA & UVB. Now throw polarization in there and you should have most bases covered.
                The patient would benefit more from a pair of glasses that fit close and blocked more light combined with a UV filtering lens. Matter of fact I believe the FDA weighs in on that matter. I think those dime store sunglasses have to have sticker on them at time of purchases stating how much UV the lens filters.
                But then again many consumers thinks it to much for them to read the label and take some responsibility to be well informed.

Comment

You can find some of the trusted stores that offer UV photometer in classified ads and directory sites. You can search it over the internet and call their hotlines or visit their stores if necessary to check if their UV photometer is accurate in checking your eyeglasses.

Comment

Working...
                  X