Thread: Government of Canada Introduces Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Government of Canada Introduces Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)

Industry Canada

Government of Canada Introduces Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)

For more information on the legislation, please visit www.fightspam.gc.ca. This new website serves as the single Government of Canada point of reference for credible and sanctioned information about the law. It will grow to include more detailed information for consumers and businesses.

Canada's Law on Spam and Other Electronic Threats

The new law will affect any individual, business and organization that:

The new law will help Canadians avoid spam and other electronic threats:

he Act will begin to take effect on July 1, 2014 when most of the Act comes into force. Once the law is in force, it will help to protect Canadians while ensuring that businesses can continue to compete in the global marketplace.

Source: ------------------->
    http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-20-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I just deleted 198 spam e-mail ...............................

2 minutes ago I just deleted 198 spam e-mail that accumulated since 5pm yesterday afternoon, I am wondering if the new Canadian law will reduce the large amount of spam I am getting, but do not think so, as this e-mail comes from every corner of the world where they do not have to worry about any Canadian laws.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    2 minutes ago I just deleted 198 spam e-mail that accumulated since 5pm yesterday afternoon, I am wondering if the new Canadian law will reduce the large amount of spam I am getting, but do not think so, as this e-mail comes from every corner of the world where they do not have to worry about any Canadian laws.
    I'm sure this is status quo for anyone with a computer and web access. It's extremely annoying - when I receive one from a company I know, I simply add them to the list of companies I will never ever deal with again for anything. It's reverse marketing in my opinion.

However, as Chris notes - these occur by the millions and originate from anywhere on earth, so the chance anything will change after the law comes into effect is highly unlikely.

I'm registered on the phone anti telemarketing list and still receive calls almost every day. Unfortunately, these policies have bark but no bite.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    I'm sure this is status quo for anyone with a computer and web access. It's extremely annoying - when I receive one from a company I know, I simply add them to the list of companies I will never ever deal with again for anything. It's reverse marketing in my opinion.

However, as Chris notes - these occur by the millions and originate from anywhere on earth, so the chance anything will change after the law comes into effect is highly unlikely.

I'm registered on the phone anti telemarketing list and still receive calls almost every day. Unfortunately, these policies have bark but no bite.
    I couldn't care less about spam. I get spam very rarely because most of it ends up in my spam folder. The one or 2 a week that I do get I can simply mark as spam and never see them again. Find me something similar for my phoneline and I will be your friend forever!

Occupation

Blue Jumper I guess I will have to live with it. ................................................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

I couldn't care less about spam. I get spam very rarely because most of it ends up in my spam folder. The one or 2 a week that I do get I can simply mark as spam and never see them again. Find me something similar for my phoneline and I will be your friend forever!

You must be talking of your private e-mail account, which is listed only for your family and close friends.

However I have a website that is looked at, in just about every corner of the globe. So I am looking at between 500 to 800 spam e-mails per 24 hours that go into my spam box at Yahoo (which has become a superb e-mail server).
    I delete batches of 100-150 a few times during the 24 hour day.

It might be no issue for many but has become a major one for some businesses. The international junk mail trade is mostly based in developing countries, however every time there is a big USA holiday the junk mail drops just about 50%.

If a junk mail law could be passed worldwide with some teeth, which it can not, it would make life a bit easier for some people like me. I guess I will have to live with it.

Thread Information