Thread: Perfect Frames Forever?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Perfect Frames Forever?

So, a patient brought up an interesting question, and since I'm a novice compared to the collective knowledge of the board, I thought I'd pass it along before offering an answer of my own. He's a sort of engineering minded, hyper-efficient, "make it last" variety, and believes in utilizing something until it's outlived its usefulness. Theoretically, he asked, if he were going to have to invest in a single pair of frames for an extended period of time, what sort should he choose? Essentially, treating them like an automobile and new lenses like oil changes-- pick one pair and stick with them for a decade and relens them as necessary. What would be the most efficient choice-- make, model, style? If you had to choose a single pair of frames to get you through the next decade, what would they be?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    for me, stainless steel.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lindberg Air Rim/Spirit models. Pure titanium, no screws or solder points. We actually have patients re-lensing 6-8-even 10 year old frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would choose a 3 piece drilled rimless, I've had people go 6-12 years with the same chassis and using the car anology, something unexpected can break and it's a whole lot easier to change one part then the whole thing (because outside of some 3 piece designs I can't think of any frame that existed 7-8 years ago that I can still get parts or a whole new frame now without a warehouse search and luck)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Acquired a Tura Mr. T in 1970 and it has had lens up grades every two or three years since then. I still wear it on formal occasions a few times each month.

It looks like new and its anodized aluminum should last forever.
    Last edited by rbaker; 06-16-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added text

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any Alain Mikli acetate. I hit mine up with olive oil every few months and it looks like new.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    This is an absolute no-brainer to me. Just about any Flexon frame. Auto-Flex would be a close second.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    This is an absolute no-brainer to me. Just about any Flexon frame. Auto-Flex would be a close second.

Yeah! Those never break.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Seiko Titanium. The styles turn so slow that they wouldn't be discontinued for a full decade.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaker View Post
    Lindberg Air Rim/Spirit models. Pure titanium, no screws or solder points. We actually have patients re-lensing 6-8-even 10 year old frames.
    I wear Lindberg Spirit in solid 18 carat white gold and it is 12 years old; a few years ago I added solid gold nose pads when they became available. After 10 years I ordered another pair in rose gold for a change. Next pair will be platinum with diamonds on the nose pads as well. I tried to get a trade-in on the white gold but they declined after they where only 10 years old.
    Both have a lifetime warranty.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We had a patient run them over with his car...nothing was wrong with the frames

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I wear Lindberg Spirit in solid 18 carat white gold and it is 12 years old; a few years ago I added solid gold nose pads when they became available. After 10 years I ordered another pair in rose gold for a change. Next pair will be platinum with diamonds on the nose pads as well. I tried to get a trade-in on the white gold but they declined after they where only 10 years old.
    Both have a lifetime warranty.
    I imagine they are quite lovely. I would love to get one of their horn frames for myself. Someday...

Going back to the Flexons, I can't say I see any of their frames last over 3 years. They seem to all eventually break at the bridge. I would agree that the Auto-Flex line would be a longer lasting option.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Going back to the Flexons, I can't say I see any of their frames last over 3 years. They seem to all eventually break at the bridge. I would agree that the Auto-Flex line would be a longer lasting option.
    My mistake. I thought the Flexon bends at the bridge and temples, and Auto-Flex bridge only. If Flexon only bends at the temples, then Auto-Flex should last longer for most people.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Silhouette or other high quality titanium 3 piece.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Silhouette or other high quality titanium 3 piece.
    +1. The new Silhouette Titan Harmony chassis is fantastic.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    Ive found that the flexon frames - although sturdy - break in half at the nasal memory metal section. we replace a few a month. Personally, I would have met that conversation with a caveat like - My good sir, please understand that we all live in a state of impermanence. Nothing lasts forever and all things are subject to change. -

That being said, I might recomend an OVO frame. They seem to be made of some tough stuff (titanium and surgical steel). The press from the website seems to think they will last more then 205 years. Only time will tell.

Most titanium mens double bridge frame especially the safety frames may have a chance to survive a nuclear war along with the cockroach and the Twinkey. You may actually find cockroaches wearing mens double bridge frames eating twinkies after the rapture....I don't know, i probably wont be there.

You may also consider the birth control glasses issued by the military. If i remember, there either the cheapest plastic human kind could produce or nylon. I forget which. Although they are not stylish, it doesn't sound like the mechanically minded patient your working with is really interested in fashion.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Ive found that the flexon frames - although sturdy - break in half at the nasal memory metal section. we replace a few a month. Personally, I would have met that conversation with a caveat like - My good sir, please understand that we all live in a state of impermanence. Nothing lasts forever and all things are subject to change. -

That being said, I might recomend an OVO frame. They seem to be made of some tough stuff (titanium and surgical steel). The press from the website seems to think they will last more then 205 years. Only time will tell.

Most titanium mens double bridge frame especially the safety frames may have a chance to survive a nuclear war along with the cockroach and the Twinkey. You may actually find cockroaches wearing mens double bridge frames eating twinkies after the rapture....I don't know, i probably wont be there.

You may also consider the birth control glasses issued by the military. If i remember, there either the cheapest plastic human kind could produce or nylon. I forget which. Although they are not stylish, it doesn't sound like the mechanically minded patient your working with is really interested in fashion.

Agreed on OVVO. No solders to break and most of the styles don't require screws.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you haven't seen them before, I would 100% suggest IC Berlin (http://www.ic-berlin.de/en_GB). They're laser-cut stainless steel. No solder points to let go. No screws to come loose. Even the hinge, which is foldable like any othe frame, have no screws in them. They're not cheap, and since they're a metal-rimless you'll need to be sure you're using a trivex/poly lens. I've had mine for over a year now and I've never been as happy with a frame. I've fallen asleep with them on (Don't tell anyone!) so many times because they're so light I forget to take them off. Twice I woke up with them folded underneath me (I'm a big guy too) and they were no worse for wear. Best pair I've had in 10 years

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    if a client wants a frame to last a lifetime, be sure to send him for a complete physical - depending on the results you can suggest the right frame ;)
    I find most anything we've sold by Lunor over the years has held up extremely well, very little breakage.

Thread Information