Thread: Does anyone else have a Schnieder?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Does anyone else have a Schnieder?

As of Tuesday, we are up and running... It's a fantastic surfacing tool that I and many whom have had the privilege to have in their lab have benefited greatly from it...
    Highly recommended!!!
    Last edited by nettygrrl81; 06-11-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have plenty of Schneider equipment, and I haven't noticed their service to be much different than any other equipment company. While I'm not familiar with your specific case, I've had good and bad service calls with all of them. This is usually because it can be hard to track down what the problem is, even if you're familiar with the machines.

As for them being in Germany, you have to remember, many of the big optical equipment companies are based in Germany: Satis Loh, Schneider, Optotech, Leybold for just a few off the top of my head. I've probably heard the "We have to get that part from Germany" from all of them at least once.

One of the downsides to having lens processing equipment is needing to support it yourself. I'm not saying that you shouldn't expect support, but if you only have one machine, and it's down, there's nobody that's as motivated to fix it as you. Even if someone flies to you immediately, that machine could still be down for a few days. Since they wouldn't arrive till the next day, and then would have to diagnose and order parts, which they wouldn't get until day 3 of the machine being down.

If you're able to trouble-shoot yourself (with phone help) it can reduce down time from several days to hours (or the next day, if you need a part).
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    As for them being in Germany, you have to remember, many of the big optical equipment companies are based in Germany: Satis Loh, Schneider, Optotech, Leybold for just a few off the top of my head.
    I guess it is no coincidence that the three most prestigious photographic lens companies in the world going back many years are in Germany:

• Zeiss
    • Rodenstock
    • Schneider

As we know, Zeiss and Rodenstock also make eyeglass lenses, but you don't hear much about Rodenstock in the USA these days.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Last edited by nettygrrl81; 06-11-2014 at 08:42 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Coburn sells most of the digital consumables for both Schneider and LOH. Polishing tools, polish, cutters, etc. Pretty sure you can get free samples if you call them.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Last edited by nettygrrl81; 06-11-2014 at 08:47 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    My favorite part of dealing with Schneider is that nearly no one there knows how to use their part diagrams to get you what you need even when you can describe it and send them a picture. Also they refuse to send you the exploded parts diagram to just tell them the part number of what you want.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are considering the purchase of a ProLab. I would be interested to hear how your issue works out. Has your lab been down for three weeks, bad Rx of the machine, running slow?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    It has worked out great, it's running perfectly now. It's still a very great machine to have in your lab... :)

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very glad to hear!

Occupation
    Do you know the surfacing time of a sv cr39 lens into a digital pal?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    yes, literally, under a minute and a half! and I think I might even be underestimating that, you could do a cr39 lens in just over a minute if you don't stop at all... hope that helps...

Occupation
    Thank you,

I've read it comes with digital designs pre-programmed have you tried any of the schneider PAL designs? are they free with the machine or billed per use?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    They are billed per use, which they call a click fee, but it's well worth it! We do digital pal's and single vision lenses. It works very well, and I'm wearing a pair of the single vision digital lenses, and I think these are the clearest most pristine I've ever wore...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Thank you,

I've read it comes with digital designs pre-programmed have you tried any of the schneider PAL designs? are they free with the machine or billed per use?
    Schneider does not supply digital designs, only integrations, Opto-tech and Chemat both do however.

Thread Information