Thread: Research on tinting on a new lens material

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Looking for some other opinions on the subject....Trivex

I did an extensive research on tinting on a new lens material sent to me by a major manufacturer. I have not been told what the material was. I suspect it could have been Trivex.

When tinting one of these lenses in a normal black color in the dye pot they would turn out completely and totally dark blue, after a tinting time of 19 minutes.

Has anyone had the same expirience using Trivex ...........if not have I been working with some other material.

I would appreciate some response on this subject.

Chris Ryser

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,

You can find some info on how well Trivex tints in this thread:

Occupation
    Jo said:
    Chris,

You can find some info on how well Trivex tints in this thread:
    Thanks for suggestion, but this is purely a technical thread. I am trying to find answers by optboard members who have actually tinted Trivex and can give some opinions.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Big Surprise.......

This could be me hopping like crazy..................

Over 500 lookers at the posting but no answers. Are they all shy or does actually nobody out of all of them have no idea. with the exception of the few postings.

I cant believe that the subject is so strange.

Chris Ryser

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Re: Big Surprise.......

Chris Ryser said:
    Over 500 lookers at the posting but no answers. Are they all shy or does actually nobody out of all of them have no idea. with the exception of the few postings.
    I cant believe that the subject is so strange.
    Chris Ryser
    Not uncommon Chris for a lot of views and only a few post as we have a lot of lurkers :p On the other hand Trivex is so new to many of us that problems with tinting et al have yet to really surface :hammer:
    Many of us in surfacing labs have yet to get to grips with trivex as so few are ordering...Well in the UK anyway.

Occupation

Exclamation Re: Re: Big Surprise.......

John R said:
    Not uncommon Chris for a lot of views and only a few post as we have a lot of lurkers :p On the other hand Trivex is so new to many of us that problems with tinting et al have yet to really surface :hammer:
    Many of us in surfacing labs have yet to get to grips with trivex as so few are ordering...Well in the UK anyway.
    John,

I have had hear rumors that over your way the lens manufacturers that operate also labs everywhere tend to try to get the Rx's done through their own labs and try to cut out the independent ones. is there any truth in that?
    Would appreciate an opinion.

Like in the USA when Luxottica took over Lenscrafters all opticians were going to boycott them. Like everything in life it got forgotten very quickly and we hear nothing anymore about it. Vertical integration seems to be the big fashion these days.

Saturday night 5pm, cocktail hour, Scotch time and no more posting for today. Have a nice weekend all of the few on this thread.

Chris Ryser

Occupation

Confused independants

I have had hear rumors that over your way the lens manufacturers that operate also labs everywhere tend to try to get the Rx's done through their own labs and try to cut out the independent ones. is there any truth in that?
    life in the independant sector is definatley getting harder.
    THEBIGFOUR retail chains do most of their own surfacing now so not much gets sent out to the independants
    exept for high index glass, but whytake the risk doing it when you can make all the profit and pass the risk to somebody else.:hammer:
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation

Question Could be true ??

Working in "The largest privately owned" independent lab in the UK. I would say this is true. We are seeing a marked down turn in work, both in "Plastic" and Glass.
    I think we get more in the way of competition not from the manufacture's but the big retail chains who run their own surfacing labs. However i do feel that the likes of Essilor and Hoya etc will expand their own operations here in the UK.
    Times are hard in for the Independents in the UK....

Occupation

Re: independants

optispares said:
    life in the independant sector is definatley getting harder.
    THEBIGFOUR retail chains do most of their own surfacing now
    Wow Jack...I was just typing the same and decided to rephrase it....Must have been on the same ale today.....:p

Occupation

Exclamation Trivex tinting

We made up a whole line of colors for a Hoya high Index but dont knoe which one because the big box of lenses they sent me were un-marked.
    As they did not pay for the work or hire us to do it, it was done as part of a research program, I feel free to talk about it.

The lenses turned blue when using a dye pot black from BPI and others. Tinting time 19 minutes. Obviously this new material did and does not accept the red an yellow in the color mix. Other color mixed also came out in weird colors.

We then made trials and came up with a whole bunch of colors that look perfect on the lenses and our brand new CECIL Reflectascan Spectrometer made in the UK (measures even thickness of AR coatings) and they tint these high indexes in 3 minutes in the micro wave compared to 19 in the dye pot.

BUT I HAVE NO CLUE IF IT TRIVEX OR SOMETHING ELSE ! ! ! !

Chris Ryser:hammer:

Occupation

Re: Trivex tinting

Chris Ryser said:
    BUT I HAVE NO CLUE IF IT TRIVEX OR SOMETHING ELSE ! ! ! !

Chris Ryser:hammer:
    Nice to know you are prepared to spend time and effort on something like this.
    I guess you may have to contact Hoya and try and extract the information from them on the type of lens it was...
    Or have you been there already and they are unwilling to provide the info. If this is the case then i would dobt it to be trivex, more likly something they are working on...

Occupation

Exclamation Re: Re: Trivex tinting

John R said:
    Nice to know you are prepared to spend time and effort on something like this.
    I guess you may have to contact Hoya and try and extract the information from them on the type of lens it was...
    Or have you been there already and they are unwilling to provide the info. If this is the case then i would dobt it to be trivex, more likly something they are working on...
    You are probably right,,,,,,,,,,,they gave me a name of of a Hoya lens of which I received samples from other Hoya factories and they reacted totally different. This one came out of the Hoya Research facility in the UK.

I still have not heard from anybody about actual tinting of Trivex. And all the lookers into this thread nobody comes out with a flashlight or a high beam to put some light on the subject.

Chris Ryser
    :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris Ryser said:
    Thanks for suggestion, but this is purely a technical thread. I am trying to find answers by optboard members who have actually tinted Trivex and can give some opinions.
    Chris, I'm sorry; I directed you to the wrong thread. I meant to link to General Discussion Forum > Trivex. Billy Brock has apparently tinted Trivex without difficulty.

Occupation

Exclamation Color deviation................................

Jo said:
    Chris, I'm sorry; I directed you to the wrong thread. I meant to link to General Discussion Forum > Trivex. Billy Brock has apparently tinted Trivex without difficulty.

What I a really looking for........................

Types of lenses that tint different,,,,,,,,,,,,, you want to tint black and they actually come out green,,,,,,,,,,,,,blue and whatever.

Thread Information