Thread: Washington Opticians

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Washington Opticians

Hey everyone! I have recently become engaged and am more than likely going to relocate from Texas to the Tacoma/Puyallup area of Washington. As Texas is a "non-licensed" state, I have never attended a formal class for opticianry. All of my experience was gained from reading NAO study material, System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, and good old OJT. I am ABOC with about 6 years of optical experience and am currently managing a chain optical. All of that being said, I am a bit afraid of relocating and having to find a new profession. From what I understand, since I have over 5 years of relevant work experience I can sit for the exams. I could also be an apprentice optician until I can obtain my license. How difficult of a transition will this be to make? Does anyone up there know of anyone who wouldn't mind taking on an apprentice? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jon

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jon,
    The first step you want to take is to get registered to practice in the state, you do have some experience in the field so that helps. You should contact the www.oaw.org; our state association they are extremely helpful. You should also contact WA State Dept of Health and find out if your time in Texas can be used as part of your apprenticeship in WA. The test is comprehensive, along with optical you are expected to demonstrate a broad understanding of CL, and general optical A and P. There are two accredited opticianry programs in WA as well as Bernie Stewart LDO programs.

Good Luck,
    Paul

Thread Information