Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Blind Correcting Sunglasses

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Color Blind Correcting Sunglasses

According to this companies tech they have a MAR coating that drops transmission abruptly at certain wavelengths swicthing on and off like a digital signal vs an analog wave, this the lenses to filter the overlap in color blinds patients photo receptors allowing the spectral shift in the affected wavelength to be reversed. Color blind patients can experience color.

Check these out http://enchroma.com/

http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is amazing MO! I've got to get in touch with a wholesale distributor for these...

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    interesting. has anyone here tired these or fitted these with a color blind pt?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Way cool.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    This is amazing MO! I've got to get in touch with a wholesale distributor for these...
    I was thinking the same thing. Only glass currently but I would have to say with any success plastic would be in the pipeline, then I can chemistries clip these puppies for one great solution.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://enchroma.com/
    I am about to order my first pair of RX sunglasses through them. I'll be trying to get a kit for the dispensery too.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    http://enchroma.com/
    I am about to order my first pair of RX sunglasses through them. I'll be trying to get a kit for the dispensery too.
    Please post a follow-up! I know they were in Vegas last year but not at a regular booth. I think they were presenting in more of a "scientific" aspect. All colourblindness aside I think the lenses sound incredible.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Only glass currently but I would have to say with any success plastic would be in the pipeline, then I can chemistries clip these puppies for one great solution.
    From their website; It looks like Rx's are made from poly....

Prescription types:
    Our glasses can be made with single vision prescriptions as well as bifocal and progressive corrections. You can order a frame with your prescription via our website, or via an authorized eyecare professional that carries EnChroma.
    Normal Prescription range*:
    Single Vision: SPH -4 to +2 CYL -6 to +6
    Progressives: SPH -4 to +2 CYL -4 to +4 ADD +3
    EnChroma Cx Prescription lenses are made from polycarbonate.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    I just love them plastic frames they are selling, all of them injected ones.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm doing the Leader Jam'n one, a la hilco. For a 7 year old boy to wear when he plays soccer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are they assuming that every color deficient/blind patient has the same level of deficiency at the precise same frequencies?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Are they assuming that every color deficient/blind patient has the same level of deficiency at the precise same frequencies?
    No from what I've read its more of a generalized increase in contrast between Red Green and Blue. It will be noticeable to a non colorblind individual. Probably somewhat similar to wearing ChromaPop sunglasses...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ChromaPop. I've found it to be more smoke and mirrors than proven and effective science. The Safilo marketing guys are certainly laughing all the way to the bank of course. I hope this isn't jumping on that sort of bandwagon too. Yikes!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    ChromaPop. I've found it to be more smoke and mirrors than proven and effective science. The Safilo marketing guys are certainly laughing all the way to the bank of course. I hope this isn't jumping on that sort of bandwagon too. Yikes!
    A colleague of mine who's a 30+ year ABO/NCLE and a certified CE instructor has done some work with echroma, and firmly stands by what they're doing and the efficacy of the lens technology. If he stands by them, that's good enough for me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I need a bit more convincing. Peer reviewed scientific journals and all that... Glad your friend is happy either way. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ive ordered the sample kit for a guy that is a forester in NH. Ill post the results when it comes in

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uilleann-
    Unlike lenses that have magic "goo" in them to enhance vision it seems to me anyway, hard to tell someone that hasn't seen color before that they're not when they say they are.

I can't believe that with the glasses they can point out a color when asked and maybe it's not great but if I lived in a colorless world something would be better than nothing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Something might indeed better than nothing. But what is that something? Is it all the same for everyone? It seems that magic tints are the fad of the day - which while many can be very effective when extensively tested on individuals, under strictly monitored conditions, there seems to be more and more companies willing to stretch the science as far as possible to make a quick buck.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann:499995
    Something might indeed better than nothing. But what is that something? Is it all the same for everyone? It seems that magic tints are the fad of the day - which while many can be very effective when extensively tested on individuals, under strictly monitored conditions, there seems to be more and more companies willing to stretch the science as far as possible to make a quick buck.
    It probably wouldn't be the same for everyone as people with normal vision see colors differently anyway . I agree with those that say something is definitely better than nothing. I have looked through some of the filter tints from bpi and can attest that the colors do pop more than without. It will probably always be a case by case process to be sure..

Occupation
    Here's an article and Youtube video about these lenses: Colorblind People See Certain Colors For The First Time Ever, Are Visibly Moved

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    The science is sound, the cell phone in your pocket uses the very same technique with electrical signals. The lenses filter out the wavelengths between the colors that our photoreceptors are tuned for. In electronics it's the equivalent of digital vs analog signalling, the concept is that it is easier for the processor to differentiate between an on and off state then to differentiate intimate levels of signalling. That means less sensitivity to noise in the signalling process, in the case of enchroma lenses we're talking about photoreceptors as the signalling input and the brain as the processor, color blindness is often a deficiency in the receptors, mathematically its the equivalent of graphing with logs to make the data visually easier to decipher, in enchroma lenses we take receptors that have a difficult time picking up range and filter the bracketing wavelengths so the signal is pure and easier to determine an on off state. Hope that helps explain the science.

Occupation
    The science is sound, the cell phone in your pocket uses the very same technique with electrical signals. The lenses filter out the wavelengths between the colors that our photoreceptors are tuned for. In electronics it's the equivalent of digital vs analog signalling, the concept is that it is easier for the processor to differentiate between an on and off state then to differentiate intimate levels of signalling. That means less sensitivity to noise in the signalling process, in the case of enchroma lenses we're talking about photoreceptors as the signalling input and the brain as the processor, color blindness is often a deficiency in the receptors, mathematically its the equivalent of graphing with logs to make the data visually easier to decipher, in enchroma lenses we take receptors that have a difficult time picking up range and filter the bracketing wavelengths so the signal is pure and easier to determine an on off state. Hope that helps explain the science.
    If only the retina were digital and not analog there might be some tangible physiology that we that we could hang our hats on.

Fortunately the eyes of protanopic and deutanopic individuals are otherwise normal with normal visual acuity. They should be counseled to avoid occupations that require good color vision, but otherwise they suffer no disability. For example, prior to 2008 the FAA required every applicant for a medical certificate to show no demonstrable failure on a Ishihara Test, however this restriction has been relaxed to allow for demontrable ability (can the applicant, for example, read a sectional chart.)

If a given patient feels that a given therapy improves a given condition, who are we to criticize. Achromatopsia is, of course, another issue.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper they are on-line optical sellers with a cart .................................

Color blind patients can experience color.

Check these out

I just checked their website and found out that they are on-line sellers and have already a tremendous website ranking.

So they decided right from start to cut out the optical retailers.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    If only the retina were digital and not analog there might be some tangible physiology that we that we could hang our hats on.

Fortunately the eyes of protanopic and deutanopic individuals are otherwise normal with normal visual acuity. They should be counseled to avoid occupations that require good color vision, but otherwise they suffer no disability. For example, prior to 2008 the FAA required every applicant for a medical certificate to show no demonstrable failure on a Ishihara Test, however this restriction has been relaxed to allow for demontrable ability (can the applicant, for example, read a sectional chart.)

If a given patient feels that a given therapy improves a given condition, who are we to criticize. Achromatopsia is, of course, another issue.
    Great points, we cant change the sensors or swap out the processors being the retina and brain especially given that other than color vision is sharp. Enchroma lenses go downstream and pre process the light before it enters the eye. This preprocessed light looks more digital. I'll have to put together a quick visual, later.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Interesting. Someone just asked me about these. Has anyone had any further experience with them?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information