Thread: Opening a new practice

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Opening a new practice

I have to stock the dispensary. All tools. Everything. Where would you order from? I'm leaning a little towards Hilco since they have a store opening program but we've set up accounts with McCray as well since they have some stuff that Hilco doesn't carry.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Why not get it from McCray who is a fine Canadian company in this business. They have a good selection and good service.
    Anything you can not find, get elsewhere.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Why not get it from McCray who is a fine Canadian company in this business. They have a good selection and good service.
    Anything you can not find, get elsewhere.
    Why not indeed! That's the reason I posted the thread.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Dynamic labs in the US also ship from Canada so might be worth calling them. There is 20/20 in BC but I don't think their selection is as good as McCray. McCray can also get you B&S brand tools that are very good quality.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks Davey. Gonna stay away from Dynamic. Had a bad experience with one of their sales reps. McCray has that nosepad adapter kit for plastic frames which I love and can't find elsewhere. We've also got something going on with Nanco too but I'm still leaning towards Hilco because of familiarity.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A McCray account is an excellent idea.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Santinelli International launched last year a full line of frame parts and B&S tools including the pad arm kit from McCray. Here is a link for you to view it on the website.

Equipment & Optical Supplies Catalog

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG22MAC View Post
    Santinelli International launched last year a full line of frame parts and B&S tools including the pad arm kit from McCray. Here is a link for you to view it on the website.

Equipment & Optical Supplies Catalog

Thanks! I didn't even know.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago a veteran technician/ custom frame maker took me down the street to a jewellery supply store. They use similar tools from the same manufacturers for significantly less money i.e. ultrasonic cleaner etc You can google Lacy Jewellery Supply. It is located in down town Toronto near Dundas Square and the former Imperial Optical Hermant building. An extra bonus is that the building is full of custom jewellers with low over head, in tiny offices and good quality product. This a little known local secret and it is our Jewish diamond district.
    Last edited by ex-optician; 05-08-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-optician View Post
    Years ago a veteran technician/ custom frame maker took me down the street to a jewellery supply store. They use similar tools from the same manufacturers for significantly less money i.e. ultrasonic cleaner etc You can google Lacy Jewellery Supply. It is located in down town Toronto near Dundas Square and the former Imperial Optical Hermant building. An extra bonus is that the building is full of custom jewellers with low over head, in tiny offices and good quality product. This a little known local secret and it is our Jewish diamond district.
    Ah yes, like the super-small 65' jeweler shops in New York's diamond district. Good to know.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hilco has some excellent products and I like them, however I am literally in the next town over from their original site... and will admit they have excellent but costly tools.... and if you can get them anywhere used, do so because they last FOREVER plus a day. their tap and snap screws are more expensive, but higher quality and therefore less wasteful in the long run. Things I wish someone had mentioned 23 years ago when I opened shop.... most frames use 1.4, 1.3, and 1.5 screws and 1.1 for nosepads. buy a variety eventually, but do not feel you have to open with them on hand. 6mm length, and get a good clipper that will not wilt under pressure when clipping screws. always smooth the ends, the first time you forget, you patient will complain they tore their skin on the screw. Screws are costly and you will have some of the ones you buy now when you have been in business for 25 years. I do. silicone nosepads, do not buy from Hilco. buy them from the 'cheap guys' but negotiate for price on those. buy the best tools you can afford used if possible. Marchon has nylon pliers that are aces for compression mount three piece frames. (buy those new) they do break eventually. They are 6 dollars US. buy at least 2 and leave the 50 dollar US ones alone. they work for some compression mounts and not well for others. lots of other advice, but hope this will do and I haven't wasted your time.

Thread Information