Thread: Essilor Unveils it's Plans for Coastal.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Essilor Unveils it's Plans for Coastal.com

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds great for brick and mortar shops.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Good job Golfnorth, finding it so fast. I am just not convinced about the following:

Consequently, Coastal will continue with simple prescriptions and Essilor, whose name will not be visible on the Coastal website, will not add Varilux to Coastal’s product mix. “This brand requires the professionalism of ECPs,” said Carrier. Coastal will nonetheless be able to offer Transitions products.

Lens manufacturers have forever sold the same lenses under different names to serve different markets and not offend other longtime users.

Varilux is already sold under different names around the world. What is to stop them from using one of those.

What Coastal sells is not sold in B&M stores who made Essilor so big and strong over the last 50 years.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper See the original full size article in : Vision Monday ..............................

See the original full size article in : Vision Monday

VANCOUVER, Canada—Having just completed its acquisition of online vision care retailer Coastal.com on Monday, Essilor International moved quickly to begin the process of integrating the retailer into its global network of eyewear companies.

This morning, Essilor of America president John Carrier welcomed the 350 employees at Coastal.com’s Vancouver headquarters into the Essilor group. He presented them an overview of Essilor’s plans for the company, which will now be headed by newly named Coastal.com CEO Roy Hessel, who also serves as president of online initiatives for Essilor of America. Hessel takes over from Coastal’s founder and former CEO, Roger Hardy, who will remain an advisor to Essilor for the next three years.

http://www.visionmonday.com/latest-n...-coastalcom-1/

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not to be crude, but this is merely "a reach-around".

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    How nice E wants to continue offering exorbitantly priced lenses through ECPs but any thing that's easier to fit they will take off my hands. Now if only they offered a spending ECP profits plan while allowing me to focus all my time on expenses service I'd be all set.

Drk nice reach around reference, you didn't even need to crowbar that one in there, but I was thinking they are more sodomite in nature.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeoptical View Post
    Sounds great for brick and mortar shops.
    Tell me your logic on this one.
    Essilor will still be growing and advertising their online entities at the expense of brick & mortar.
    If their online growth projections are true won't they be taking biz from bricks & mortar?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Positioning the Varilux brand in this way supports both B&M ECPs and The Varilux brand.
    I'm hopeful ECPs will keep an open mind to developing a relationship with the WWW and eyewear, instead of being an adversary.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    See my post for a description of the "relationship".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Santini, with all due respect for your professional attitude, master optical skills and a strong quality related clientel, I must voice what I see as a slight favoratism towards Essilor, on your part. Not all ECP are able or have the orders for super special, ultra expensive eyewear as you do. Essilor's normal price list barely has anything below 000.00 wholesale for A progressive lense. Little ECP,s cannot afford those prices nor can their clients. So Essilor competes on all playing fields and reorganize their lenses for all markets. They change the name of the lens... offer it on a different E website (Canoptic, Rxclub, their 3 other online sites ect.) and have vaste flucuation in their prices. They will do whatever it takes to force other ECP / labs to only sell their product. All this is said because I feel that E is just "stroking" the optical world. Their intent is to gain control of as much and all of the world optical market as they can. But they do not want goverments sticking their nose into what they are doing. Anything that is said at these press conferences should be taken with a grain of salt. Essilor is the controlling dynamic today in the optical field and they will continue to extract as much power and control as they can, before something puts and end to their amalglomation. When it comes to corporations we should believe nothing of what we read.
    Respectfully submitted.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Their intent is to gain control of as much and all of the world optical market as they can.
    This is the correct interpretation of Essilor's intent, and anything that appears to be to the contrary is just a short term diversion that is part of a longer term strategy. This is being done with the consent and encouragement of the French government, which does not enforce anti-trust laws for global French companies to the same degree as would be done for foreign companies within France, or would be enforced by the US government for US companies.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Santini, with all due respect for your professional attitude, master optical skills and a strong quality related clientel, I must voice what I see as a slight favoratism towards Essilor, on your part. Not all ECP are able or have the orders for super special, ultra expensive eyewear as you do. Essilor's normal price list barely has anything below 000.00 wholesale for A progressive lense. Little ECP,s cannot afford those prices nor can their clients. So Essilor competes on all playing fields and reorganize their lenses for all markets. They change the name of the lens... offer it on a different E website (Canoptic, Rxclub, their 3 other online sites ect.) and have vaste flucuation in their prices. They will do whatever it takes to force other ECP / labs to only sell their product. All this is said because I feel that E is just "stroking" the optical world. Their intent is to gain control of as much and all of the world optical market as they can. But they do not want goverments sticking their nose into what they are doing. Anything that is said at these press conferences should be taken with a grain of salt. Essilor is the controlling dynamic today in the optical field and they will continue to extract as much power and control as they can, before something puts and end to their amalglomation. When it comes to corporations we should believe nothing of what we read.
    Respectfully submitted.
    I guess we should all just assume the position! lol

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Good job Golfnorth, finding it so fast. I am just not convinced about the following:

Consequently, Coastal will continue with simple prescriptions and Essilor, whose name will not be visible on the Coastal website, will not add Varilux to Coastal’s product mix. “This brand requires the professionalism of ECPs,” said Carrier. Coastal will nonetheless be able to offer Transitions products.

Lens manufacturers have forever sold the same lenses under different names to serve different markets and not offend other longtime users.

Varilux is already sold under different names around the world. What is to stop them from using one of those.

What Coastal sells is not sold in B&M stores who made Essilor so big and strong over the last 50 years.
    Thank you Chris.......it's not very often that someone outscoops you!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This information was released by the Essilor Professional Relations doc on a particular optometry forum's "webinar" last night, as well.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    This information was released by the Essilor Professional Relations doc on a particular optometry forum's "webinar" last night, as well.
    Two days ago through email as well. Not interesting because it's sooooo E.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    'Consequently, Coastal will continue with simple prescriptions and Essilor, whose name will not be visible on the Coastal website, will not add Varilux to Coastal’s product mix. “This brand requires the professionalism of ECPs,” said Carrier. Coastal will nonetheless be able to offer Transitions products.'

This is so funny! Only Varilux requires professionalism? All our other junk is ok to fit from a paper ruler or an app? Too funny again! Oh, and don't forget, we won't put our name on it to chase people that still like our special flavor of cool aid and pay our outrageous prices.

And last, what coastal sells is not available in the B&M stores that gave us all this cash to rule the world, no, it will be the same product cheaper, with a different name. Great spin once again.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Very well said, OBX.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Positioning the Varilux brand in this way supports both B&M ECPs and The Varilux brand.
    I'm hopeful ECPs will keep an open mind to developing a relationship with the WWW and eyewear, instead of being an adversary.

B
    Barry, does Essilor sponsor you in any way for any of your speaking engagements?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you are an independent ECP and you still buy essilor product as usual, why not also pay your nearest competitors rent too? I'm sure they will say you are a super great guy or gal - just like essilor does! Essilor thinks all of us ODs and Opticians are just swell and super folks! They said so in last nights webinar!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Essilor will continue to support us and provide us with wonderful products at terrific prices - but not that cheap stuff they sell online direct to consumers in all those poor underserved countries like India, Bangladesh, America, Canada - you know, where so many folks don't have access to eyecare products. This is the pablum they tried to feed the world- that they bought Clearly Contacts in order to help the poor to see. I thought I'd puke. They can keep their Varilux and all the rest of it. Zeiss. Hoya. Direct Factory in China. All the supply you will ever need.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Varilux brand. PUHLEEZ. Rayban is a brand. Oakley is a brand. Prada is a brand. NO ONE EVER ASKS FOR VARILUX BY NAME. And if they do , they just mean "progressives". This distinction without a difference which Essilor keeps upchucking - that no varilux will be sold on line, is a f-----g joke.
    They have bought ECPs' public enemy number 1, and so what does that make them now.
    There are newly minted multi gazillionaires (the tycoon founders of CC) who will now start up a newer, bigger, badder e commerce site. Will E buy this one out too in 3 years?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

They have bought ECPs' public enemy number 1, and so what does that make them now.
    There are newly minted multi gazillionaires (the tycoon founders of CC) who will now start up a newer, bigger, badder e commerce site. Will E buy this one out too in 3 years?

Coastal is not the public enemy No 1, it is the onliy online optical which was a public corporation with open books. They own now 4 of the largest online opticals.
    Warby Parker might be the next Essilor target.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Respectfully submitted.
    +1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No sponsorships so far from E/V. But, I do feel its time that all ECPs man-up to the fact that the old paradigm is gone with the passing of the last century, and that it's high time for every O to approach their daily business in a way that doesn't rely on expectations that the old wholesale/retail divisors still apply. Choose the best frame and lens products you can, run with them, and develop a compelling brand reason that customers should purchase from you rather than ANY other.

Those that do will survive, IMHO.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Coastal is not the public enemy No 1, it is the onliy online optical which was a public corporation with open books. They own now 4 of the largest online opticals.
    Warby Parker might be the next Essilor target.
    You could be correct Chris. One more additional platform to stand on and look down at all the little ECP's standing in the golden shower.

Thread Information