Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question....maybe...?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Silly question....maybe...?

I feel like this is a really DUMB question but here it goes...I work for an OD, pt. X came in for a pair of computer glasses but only had standard multifocal rx. I explained to pt. X that he needed to call HIS Dr. (MD) and get a computer rx, as it was not listed on the rx he gave me. Well, his staff told me to figure out his computer rx using THEIR dr.'s rx (which was only dvo and nvo). I explained that I couldn't "create" an rx (as I'm not a dr) from another dr.'s rx. I asked the MD's office to talk to pt X and send me his computer rx. Well, said pt. calls HIS dr. and they tell him (again) to call me to create rx and that is IS NOT ILLEGAL for me to do this. Needless to say, he is sick of all of the running around and I lost the $400 sale because of it. Thought, suggestions....
    Thank you in advance for responding.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    its simple, use half the reading add

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So why couldn't you fit him/her with an Access computer lens or a Seiko PC wide or a Hoya Tact computer lens from the client's reading glasses?
    You know the reading power and just choose the digression.
    Is Florida a liscenced state?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Making a pair of "computer" glasses from a bifocal Rx is well within an optician's scope of practice. A full add power is generally taken for a reading distance of about 16" or 40 cm. If you're ordering a pair of ocupational computer progressives that give a near power and intermediate distance power only, you would just give the lab the full bifocal prescription and near PD, and they'd calculate the right power for the lenses. However, if you wanted single vision only computer lenses, you would use half the add power (as mentioned above).

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fear not!

You can scour the courts and not find anyone who has been prosecuted for interpreting an rx for a focal length other than distance or near, especially when the doc's office has said you could!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-17-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Fear not!

You can scour the courts and not find anyone who has been prosecuted for interpreting an rx for a focal length other than distance or near, especially when the doc's office has said you could!
    Certainly true. I do it all the time in Florida. It's not always quite as simple as 1/2 the add power plus the distance Rx. You may need to adjust for their focal length. A little more than 1/2 the add if the monitor is closer in than average, a little less if it is farther away.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not a question of "know how", i know how, it's a question of legality. Yes, Florida is a Licensed state and from what I understand, I ( I am an ABO/NCLE certified, not licensed) by law, cannot "create" an rx from anyone....is that wrong??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drstewart74 View Post
    It's not a question of "know how", i know how, it's a question of legality. Yes, Florida is a Licensed state and from what I understand, I ( I am an ABO/NCLE certified, not licensed) by law, cannot "create" an rx from anyone....is that wrong??
    Not to be snarky but maybe that question is best answered by an attorney or the state board.

Who ever is licensed in your office should be able to however I really wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes that is wrong. It is well within the scope of Opticians in Florida to interpret that Rx and determine the appropriate power based upon focal length. It is also my understanding of state lasw there that is illegal to use the title, Optician, without a license, by the way. Find out where this patient want to see in inches or centimeters. Use the focal length formula (D= 1/f (meters), 40/f in inches and 100/f in centimeters. It is very easy to do, and legal. This Ophthalmologist at this point sees you as incompent if you cannot do this simple calculation. You say you can, you now have a way to figure it out, and several have indicated it is legal. Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you everyone who responded, it was a BIG help. And FYI to wmcdonald, my actual state certificate says Certified Optician...not meaning to be snarky. ;o)

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Before you perform your interpretation of the Rx, ask your client to measure the distance to their monitor, and its vertical position relative to their eyes. Task eyeglasses may not necessary if it's a tablet or very a small laptop. Once you have the distance, confirm and tweak the powers with trial frame if possible.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Mr. Martellaro!

A trial frame and lens set can be the optician's best friend!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    if I am not mistaken, interpreting prescriptions according to focal length is on the ABO exam.

like others have said, it is legal as long as there is an add power on the prescription.

you are not "prescribing" or "creating," you are interpreting and filling a valid prescription.

Just like when we balance prism or make SV reading glasses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fwiw...
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    if i am not mistaken, interpreting prescriptions according to focal length is on the abo exam. The question in the op is is it legal.

like others have said, it is legal as long as there is an add power on the prescription. The rx's were for distance and near but obviously the add is easily determined from them.

You are not "prescribing" or "creating," you are interpreting and filling a valid prescription.

Just like when we balance prism or make sv reading glasses. I'd balance/split the prism only with the doc's ok.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I agree with Mr. Martellaro!

A trial frame and lens set can be the optician's best friend!
    +1 Trial the patient! Oh my ears and whiskers! We must have a trial!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would use an office lens. If the patient wanted a FT or SV computer RX, I usually confirm with the Dr that they do want 1/2 the add. So many times there is a discussion in the office and the Dr changes it a little. Although 1/2 is the norm...you never know. +1 for recommended trial set!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you everyone who responded, it was a BIG help. And FYI to wmcdonald, my actual state certificate says Certified Optician...not meaning to be snarky. ;o)

Your state of Florida statute states very clearly that unless you are licensed by the state of Florida, you may not call yourself an optician. You may not mislead the public, so take down your certificate, since it states, Optician. You should have listened to Warren. If you, indeed, have something frome Florida saying Certified Optician, please scan it and display it here for all to see.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I feel like this is a really DUMB question but here it goes...I work for an OD, pt. X came in for a pair of computer glasses but only had standard multifocal rx. I explained to pt. X that he needed to call HIS Dr. (MD) and get a computer rx, as it was not listed on the rx he gave me. Well, his staff told me to figure out his computer rx using THEIR dr.'s rx (which was only dvo and nvo). I explained that I couldn't "create" an rx (as I'm not a dr) from another dr.'s rx. I asked the MD's office to talk to pt X and send me his computer rx. Well, said pt. calls HIS dr. and they tell him (again) to call me to create rx and that is IS NOT ILLEGAL for me to do this. Needless to say, he is sick of all of the running around and I lost the $400 sale because of it. Thought, suggestions....
    Thank you in advance for responding.
    What a pain in the *** patient and doctor. Honestly, if the patient is so aggravated by the inconvenience of your desire to make sure they have an accurate lens then good riddance.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't like going over +1.00 for the computer add. People like to sit back a little.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I don't like going over +1.00 for the computer add. People like to sit back a little.
    That's why I won't make task specific eyeglasses without a measurement to the object.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	co.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	10917 Wow, I didn't realize I had to prove myself not to be a liar on this thread. But apparently some of you need to be educated. Here you go!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Wow, I didn't realize I had to prove myself not to be a liar on this thread. But apparently some of you need to be educated. Here you go!
    I think they are saying you need to be licensed by the state of Florida if you claim to be a licensed optician in Florida, not just ABOC certified.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please read my thread, I NEVER once used the term licensed, in any manner, so I'm not sure at all what "they" are saying...Ya know what, this is childish, I'm done....signing off now...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Please read my thread, I NEVER once used the term licensed, in any manner, so I'm not sure at all what "they" are saying...Ya know what, this is childish, I'm done....signing off now...
    I don't really know anything about this, but Diane is saying that you cannot call yourself an "Optician" in FL unless you are licensed in FL.

Occupation
    Optician = anyone licensed to practice opticianry in the state of FL.
    Board Certified Optician = ABO certified licensed optician.

If you are not licensed in FL you can't call yourself an optician in Florida, but you can call yourself an optician online. Oh BTW take down your cert, one of these folks may decide to report you to the FL board for something they would falsely assume you are wrong of doing.

Glad to see you changed your password to the ABO site. ; )
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Thread Information