Thread: Neutralizing Prism ...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Neutralizing Prism ...

Is there any online article (link?) to a great beginners tutorial on neutralizing prism in lensometer?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://opticianworks.com/

I believe that there is a lensometer section. Join up, and learn this trade!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also the search box is your friend.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ism+lensometer

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I strongly suggest investing in your choosen career and purchasing this book:

System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, 3rd edition

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Second this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Despite pointing out repeatedly that there are questions about a manual lensometer on the ABO exam, we are provided with an automated lensometer. I hate that thing and sometimes have a lot of trouble with it reading anything, let alone prism. Is there anything online that shows tips or tricks for using those blasted things?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Yeah, I remember flipping through that and reading that section regarding prism. But I am looking for a nice YouTube tutorial or step by step visual guide on how to do it. It is almost impossible to find anything thorough online that shows:

ie. "This is what 2.0 base down prism looks like in lensometer" , "This is how you uncover prism in existing glasses" , "John Doe's Rx has such and such prism, and this is what it looks like in a lensometer" ....with PLENTY of pictures!!!!!! There is nothing like this!! I have been searching for a very very long time!

I am actually willing to PAY someone to do such a video! I remember going to Cincinnati optician's conference in 2011 and no one could help me on the those "open hall" study days regarding the need of learning the fundamentals of uncovering prism in lensometer ... I remember even asking the teachers (I am not going to name names) and they were no help either!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by spex911 View Post
    Yeah, I remember flipping through that and reading that section regarding prism. But I am looking for a nice YouTube tutorial or step by step visual guide on how to do it. It is almost impossible to find anything thorough online that shows:

ie. "This is what 2.0 base down prism looks like in lensometer" , "This is how you uncover prism in existing glasses" , "John Doe's Rx has such and such prism, and this is what it looks like in a lensometer" ....with PLENTY of pictures!!!!!! There is nothing like this!! I have been searching for a very very long time!

I am actually willing to PAY someone to do such a video! I remember going to Cincinnati optician's conference in 2011 and no one could help me on the those "open hall" study days regarding the need of learning the fundamentals of uncovering prism in lensometer ... I remember even asking the teachers (I am not going to name names) and they were no help either!!!
    This sounds like a quest.......you seek a sorcerer, young apprentice...

I would suggest that you spend a day with your local eyewear lab, where a large volume of work is being processed. Bring coffee, and donuts. Sorcerers need inner strength. Get to know your sorcerer, and the reward will be knowlege of the prism you seek. Your ability to find, analyze, and quantify will be 100fold, and will follow you on all further optical quests!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    This sounds like a quest.......you seek a sorcerer, young apprentice...

I would suggest that you spend a day with your local eyewear lab, where a large volume of work is being processed. Bring coffee, and donuts. Sorcerers need inner strength. Get to know your sorcerer, and the reward will be knowlege of the prism you seek. Your ability to find, analyze, and quantify will be 100fold, and will follow you on all further optical quests!
    True, I guess that's the only way. "Neutralizing Prism" isn't something that's being Google'd thousands of times a day I tend to forget.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a presentation on prism that I drew for my students. I tried uploading it after saving it as a PDF file. It wouldn't upload. If you will PM me your e-mail, I will e-mail it to you.

If someone has an idea on how I could upload the file, that would be good. JPEG's only do one at a time, and I fear this would be too cumbersome to deal with that way.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information