Thread: optical lesses you wear, have been manufactured in Thailand ........................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper optical lenses you wear, have been manufactured in Thailand ........................

Whether you buy your new glasses in Thailand and elsewhere, there is a fair chance that the optical lesses you wear, have been manufactured in Thailand. Thailand produces more than 20 % of the close to a billion optical lenses made each year. Besides local independent manufacturers, many foreign countries have factories located in Thailand. These include : Hoya Lens (Japan), Essilor Manufacturing (France), Rodenstock (Germany), Solarlens (Italy), Indo (Spain) and Transitions (U.S.A.). Local total production capacity is 200 million optical lenses.
    A known local enterprise is Thai Optical Group, which produces optical lenses under its own brand names, and as an original-equipment-manufacturere (OEM) for other companies and brands. Thai Optical Group has an annual capacity at present of 27 million lenses.

Most of the raw material needed to produce optical lenses, has to be imported into the country, and has to be transported in refrigerated containers. The larger orders the country generates, creates lower costs per unit of production.

http://www.essilor.co.th/

http://www.rodenstock.com/rodb2c/com/en/index.html

http://bangkok-companies.com/categor...anies_p302.htm
    a listing of all optical companies in Thailand

Here are the closest links to our lens manufacturers in Thailand.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-17-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have been to Bangkok Thailand, and there is one particular street with an incredible number of retail optical shops on it, all right next to each other. They typically have a very large number of frames in the store, and incredible prices on high end lenses (from a consumer point of view).

Occupation
    I also spent some time in Bangkok in the late sixties. Sorry but I can't report on the state of the eye care business back then but I am sure that there must have been someone cranking out eyewear.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I've also found that in Canada there is no requirement to note on the lens packaging the country of origin. Here in the States it's a requirement and allows a lens purchaser (not a consumer) to make buying decision that are not just about the price. I find some incredibly low prices on hi-index and AR lenses there as compared to what's offered in the States, but have no idea where they are made. I'm not saying that lenses made in Thailand are necessarily bad, as more manufacturers than is noted above cast lenses there and/or source from Thai Optical. But do we really know what we're buying when we pay so little for some of these lenses? For instance, would you pay a little more for a 1.67 from a known manufacturer with country of origin than one in a white package or private labelled without knowing where they're made?

I'm really curious what motivates the buyer in making these decisions, so thanks for the feedback.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper These brand name lenses must cost a fraction to make ................................

Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post

I'm not saying that lenses made in Thailand are necessarily bad, as more manufacturers than is noted above cast lenses there and/or source from Thai Optical. But do we really know what we're buying when we pay so little for some of these lenses? For instance, would you pay a little more for a 1.67 from a known manufacturer with country of origin than one in a white package or private labelled without knowing where they're made?

I'm really curious what motivates the buyer in making these decisions, so thanks for the feedback.

Essilor, Rodenstock, Indo, Transitions, Solarlens all brand name top quality lenses, at the amount of 200 millions a year are made in Thailand at this time.

These brand name lenses must cost a fraction to make compared to manufacturing in Europe or the USA.

Has anybody seen a reduction in prices over the last 15 years when purchasing any of these lenses?

If not the difference goes into the pockets of the manufacturer.

Thread Information