Thread: My 35th Anniversary of Store Opening

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My 35th Anniversary of Store Opening

June 11 2014 will be my 35th year in business as an independent dispensing optician. Never made it rich,worked long hours with little vacation but "did it my way". The reason I mention this is to solicite ideas for the party I want to throw, all day long at my office. I would appreciate any suggestions.

PS: The job description above BTW is your noraml opticains type of day. Was not posted to brag about it.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am not a good party planner, but congratulations on 35 years!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats! Will be celebrating my 37th year in October!

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Theme parties are always fun. Since you opened during early 80's perhaps a disco party is in order. Have your staff dress in their best polyester and wear eyewear from this time....large eye size ...double gradient tints...facet eyewear..etc See my specs from the 80's. Congrats and continued success.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

35th Year

Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    June 11 2014 will be my 35th year in business as an independent dispensing optician. Never made it rich,worked long hours with little vacation but "did it my way". The reason I mention this is to solicite ideas for the party I want to throw, all day long at my office. I would appreciate any suggestions.

PS: The job description above BTW is your noraml opticains type of day. Was not posted to brag about it.
    Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! I love parties so I will toss out ideas.

Order some sort or giveaway item with your company name and the 35 year theme that you can hand out to your patients/customers. Heck, order enough that you can pass them out for months (if you can) to your customers. Lens Cleaner for no glare lenses imprinted in a way to promote the occasion, imprinted cloths something that consumers would use/use in front of others to promote your successful 35 years in business. If it were me I would hand them out from June 1 2014-June of 2015! Not many Opticians can brag on themselves on such an acomplishment- Be proud!
    Maybe the week of the actual event you could have imprinted cookies baged up to hand out or some such items. Whatever you choose to do, do it with class! My pet peeve is businesses that hand out crappy pens or other such low quality items proudly placing their business name on junk that falls apart before they are even used. Speaks volumns in my opinion.
    My Best,

Suzanne

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go thru your records and find the patients that have been with you since the beginning. Send out postcards to them offering a 35% discount on Rx eyewear purchased during your anniversary month. Do some advertising in local papers offering 35% off plano suns for month. Giving things away costs money with a good possibility of no return while giving discounts brings new business you would not have otherwise seen. Congrats on the 35 years. Celebrate!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper June 11 2014, 35th year in business as an independent

Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post

June 11 2014 w35th year in business as an independent ill be my dispensing optician. Never made it rich,worked long hours with little vacation but "did it my way". The reason I mention this is to solicite ideas for the party I want to throw, all day long at my office. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Congratulations for a good solid stretch in your life.

Here is my idea for your June 11 party .....................................

Give away a pair of glasses to the the first guest to come in and another to the last one that leaves the party, that will garantee you continuos traffic all day.

Don,t forget to buy the booze at the Indian Reservation closest to you so you can stay on budget.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just a suggestion, but how about $35 off and any RX lens order with purchase of frame fort that day only?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Big Guy,
    I like the idea of a discount VS giving away things free. I will have some frebee's but not for everybody. Adds in the local newspaper a must....35th person to buy a complete pair of eyeglasses gets them free.....$35.00 off all non-Rx sunglasses......$35.00 single vision hard coat lenses....$35.00 AR coating on stock lense orders.......etc....etc...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Close the office and take the day off. You've earned it.

"Do you own your own business? Nope. My business owns me"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    waynegilpin
    I like the idea but I think not.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Just a suggestion, but how about $35 off and any RX lens order with purchase of frame fort that day only?
    I hope that is not the only discount given on a pair of Zeiss Individuals, etc with a $200 frame.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations are certainly in order. And for your party, why not look up some ancient patient files and invite say 5+ persons who were early customers.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Close the shop for business but put in a light buffet and some cheap wine. I like the idea of inviting long time customers. I think that is pretty tacky to use this occasion to pursue pecuniary interests.

This is a special occasion which should be free from commerce but rather pats on the back and hugs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Close the shop for business but put in a light buffet and some cheap wine. I like the idea of inviting long time customers. I think that is pretty tacky to use this occasion to pursue pecuniary interests.

This is a special occasion which should be free from commerce but rather pats on the back and hugs.
    I agree 110%

This is a time to celebrate, not time to offer some chintzy discount or bogus "deal". That is ultra TACKY!

Open the doors, pour some drinks, celebrate with those that made it possible, and thank your lucky stars that these people have made it possible for you to do what you do for 35 years!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Each to his own I guess. As a consumer I can't think of anyplace I do business that I'd want to go to just to say congrats and get a free drink, (not to mention the legal problems you open yourself up to when serving alcohol to the public), but if offered a hefty discount on a product I use from a place I trust I'm happy to check it out. Free time is very limited for most of us these days so I don't think stopping in for pats on the back and hugs would be on too many patients "to do list". Genuine discounts on quality products just don't strike me as tacky.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Concratulations on your anniversary!

Our store passed the 80 year mark last month. We just threw a party and everyone was invited. I agree with the other comments not to combine it with a sales discount. Show the customers that your proud of your work and thank them for their loyalty and have fun!

Good luck!

Thread Information