Thread: Pt getting off balance feeling with new glasses that are larger especially B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pt getting off balance feeling with new glasses that are larger especially B

We have twice had our Dr double check the R x and it came up the same. We remade 1st for waves and match old BC and the right lens seems OK.The left was still a problem so we remade it to old Rx( o.25 diop change) It still gives the pt an off balance feeling looking down. The only thing left to try Is aspheric .
    Rx is not large, -1.75+0.75x150
    Our Dr has left it up to me as to what to do. Her vision is excellent straight but gives her an off -balance feeling looking down. We have matched her old BC and increased the panto but we have yet to hear if this worked.
    ANY INSIGHT?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi rd: What is the power of the right lens? What index is she wearing? Where is the vertical OC in the new as opposed to the old frame fit? The change in pantoscopic should help, IMO. I find that vertex distances are harder to match, with some of B values of newly dispensed choices!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've posted on oblique cyl before: it be a biyatch.

Cut it back by 1/2 D, if at all possible. Maybe trial frame to see if she feels blurry with the Rx cut.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please stop with the "we matched old base curve". Base curves today are about 2 diopters flatter than 20 years ago, and cause very little problems to the patient adaptation to a new Rx. Change a -4.00 to a -6.00 and keep same base curve, not. This mentality of I matched the PD and the old base curve is funny to me, as this is usually not the problem. Use your smarts people, as drk posted, look elsewhere.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Please stop with the "we matched old base curve". Base curves today are about 2 diopters flatter than 20 years ago, and cause very little problems to the patient adaptation to a new Rx. Change a -4.00 to a -6.00 and keep same base curve, not. This mentality of I matched the PD and the old base curve is funny to me, as this is usually not the problem. Use your smarts people, as drk posted, look elsewhere.
    +1!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whoa, there Optiboarders!....take chill pills, or at least consume some of that 1st cups of coffee..........rd is just trying to sort out a head scratching case, and is just trying to inform us of ALL the optical possibilities taken into consideration! Let's try to be helpful!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This sounds like a case of the small short B rectangular frame going by the wayside in favor of rounder, deeper shapes. The brain has to learn to un-see the prism being induced. We've had 2-3 of these. Problem should resolve itself after a day or two of wear. Maybe not a technical explanation like some would like, but there it is.

Thread Information