Thread: NO Vista 2G *VS* Coburn SGX

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

NO Vista 2G *VS* Coburn SGX

So I'm in the market for a new used generator. We're a retail lab so nothing huge and elaborate, also keeping cost to a minimum.

I've got it pretty much down to an SGX and a Vista 2G. I have experience with the Vista but none with the SGX. I'd love to hear accounts of living with either machine. Particular things to look for as far as abuse, particular things to think about as far as what 're-conditioned' should mean. Ease of repair in house my moderately skilled technicians (me).

Thanks,
    -Mitch

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have worked with both along with SL-2

If your budget affords it I would look a rebuilt SL-2. I believe they may price close to the SGX.

I would rank them as Sl-2 # 1, SGX #2 and NO Vista # 3

Heres why

Sl-2 single cutter for all materials. No need to change flutes etc. Able to crib and cut with ease with a superior cut finish which allows for a smooth one step fine/polish. Vacuum collection much larger so able to cut large volume of lenses before having to stop and change bags.

SGX More robust than a Vista. Fast cycle time with CR-39 and Cutting Laps. Slow but not bad on Poly/High Index. I little louder than SL-2 and bit larger collection capacity (depends on set-up) than Vista

Vista higher curve range but who cuts a -30.00 anyway. Didn't like having to calibrate. Seems had to really slow down cycle speeds for poly. Frequent Deblocking of large thick progressive blanks. Pain to have top change flutes based on material.

Overall these are all great machines just depends on your needs. High capacity multi material lab???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The 2G from NOP will suit you just fine seeing how you are in a retail setting. I have used one for nearly 15 years with minimal problems. Get a diamond cutter and you don't need to bother with blade changes based upon material. I routinely run the gamut of materials with no problem. I can have a pr. of CR-39 cut in less than 4 minutes.

Can't comment on the SGX, have seen one but never have used one. The IQ SL-2 is a beast machine designed for high volume wholesale production, you would need a pretty good sized space to accomodate it's footprint. But, yes they are really good generators.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    2G for reliability; No contest between a 2G and an SGX.

Occupation
    Thanks for the advice!

We're pretty low volume and just CR39, so it looks like the advantages the other machines offer over the Vista2G won't really apply to us. Which is handy since it's cheaper.

Occupation
    So I'm going on inspection Friday, gonna check out a SL-2 and an Vista 2G. Is there any particular red flag I need to watch for on the SL-2? It may work out to be a better deal. It's case is a little old and ugly, but it's what's on the inside that counts right?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Check your space that you intend to place it. The SL-2 is a rather large piece of kit, especially with the vacuum unit that comes with it. Make sure the bellows that prevent dust/debris from entering the movement control are in good shape. IIRC the screen is a small CRT make sure it is not so burned-in that the data is un-readable, same for the keyboard make sure it's in good shape.

Good luck!
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Make sure they turn on machine in your presence...boot, load and home properly. While on hit F3 and have it home several times and listen for any odd noises. Make sure chuck opens and closes porperly. Have them block a thick plano and run a plano back curve. If any of the lead screws are worn or bad the cut will not have a smooth cut. Check probe for any damage and check software version and # of lenses cut. SL-2 are robust machines if maintained properly

Thread Information