Thread: Curious question?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Curious question?

Yesterday, a customer came into our store wanting new eyeglasses. He has two pairs made from two different RX's and he preferred the right lens in one pair and the left lens in the other. They were two different frames. So, he asked whether he could have his right lens made from one RX and his left lens made from a different RX. The prescriptions were from two different doctors. Only the young optician was in store at the time and she told him that she'd never been asked before and didn't think that we could do that and she'd have to check. So that's my question ... Is it legal to have eyeglasses made from two different doctors prescriptions, one lens from one RX and the other from a different RX?

BTW, I'm new here. Hello all. I'm older and decided to go back to work part time. I've been working in a small retail optical store for a short while. I run the register and help out around the store, help customers with frame selection, minor frame repairs and the like. My father was an Ophthalmologist (GBY dad). I hope to be able to hang around and learn as much as I can.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Just spoke with our OD, and he doesn't see any problem with the above scenario under duplication protocols. Inform the pat. and document.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutely no reason not. Our job is to fill the prescription as written. Kinda out of the norm I agree. But filling the OD from one Rx and the OS from the other Rx as long as the Rx has not expired and if it makes the patient 20 happy then document everything and put the money in your register. It would be no different then pulling the Rx from two different pair via duplicating. Lord knows we do plenty of duplicating. In Florida we can duplicate a pair of glasses up to 5 years old. Though being licensed here in Florida over 30 years I do not ever recall doing either of the above scenarios. But I would in a heartbeat because I stay on top of our rules.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would call whatever Dr. saw the patient last and clear it with them first. I'm not comfortable "mixing" rx's from 2 different prescribers.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't go in for a couple of days and it will probably have already been resolved when I do. But, I'll pass it on even though they cant go on my say. I do know that the two RX's were close and fairly recent. Our optician did suggest that it would be best if he speak with his Doctor, regardless.

Thank you, I learned something already !

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It may be legal, but it's probably not in the client's best interest considering that the Rx is inconstant, which may be benign, but why guess at the Rx and ocular health? At a minimum, follow BigGuy's advice, or cut to the chase and recommend an eye exam.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a feeling that if I went to my local pharmacist and asked him to take a few ingredients from one of my meds and a few from one of my other meds, mix them together and then leave out the rest from the originals, he'd tell me to take a walk. I work in a state that allows duplication, but I would't mix and match from two different pairs.

"Schedule a new exam and tell them your story. When I have a valid Rx in hand with the combination you want, I'll be happy to help you."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    An update on some details. The customers two pairs were both single vision and he was looking for his first pair of progressives. The OD Sphere was a -.25 increase, 1 degree difference in axis, same cylinder and the difference in add of +.25
    He preferred the slightly stronger OD lens and wanted that change before he spent the money on progressives.

Thanks again, everyone, for your input.
    Last edited by DG11; 04-11-2014 at 08:01 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Not going to fill this using the Rx from 2 different pairs. If the last exam was less than 90 days ago, should be OK with a recheck at no cost. If close to a year, time for a new exam anyway. Not sure how the Optician Board would look at this, but not likely very kindly, IMO.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As I mentioned, he was referred back to his last Doctor. We haven't heard back from him yet. These were very recent Rx's. Just wanted to update for anyone interested.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DG11 View Post
    As I mentioned, he was referred back to his last Doctor. We haven't heard back from him yet. These were very recent Rx's. Just wanted to update for anyone interested.
    I (we) appreciate the update.

If I'm reading this correctly, the client doesn't 'like' the extra -.25 in the right, but it's easy to get fooled with presbyopes! They may be saying that the near/intermediate is not as good, but that is consistent with presbyopia and these types of Rx changes.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This dude is going to be a problem. Why get involved in a prescribing peccadillo? Just tell him to go back to his vision care provider and have them sort it out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    ...Just tell him to go back to his vision care provider and have them sort it out.
    That was our consensus recommendation, and per DG11's post above, did so. Still, always good to hear one more professional opinion.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Robert. Actually the opposite. Customer preferred the additional minus. Thanks.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    This dude is going to be a problem. Why get involved in a prescribing peccadillo? Just tell him to go back to his vision care provider and have them sort it out.
    Listen to drk. He possesses profound knowledge in this issue. While there are many ways to skin this cat he has the best solution.

Just one question. Is a peccadillo some type sexual aid?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

Just one question. Is a peccadillo some type sexual aid?
    I think it's a kind of relish.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    I think it's a kind of relish.
    That's piccalilli. I think it's a basket of armadillos.

Thread Information