Thread: Help is needed with training technique for neutalising lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Help is needed with training technique for neutalising lenses

I have the wonderful job of helping several women who have been traditional receptionists in optometric practices to learn to neutralise lenses. I've noticed that several of the women over 40 have difficulty using their progressive spectacles to see properly into the vertometer. Does anyone have any tips for teaching progressive wearers to neautralise accurately?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mary Sue,
    I have been wearing progressives for about 7 years. The only thing I know for sure is that it works better to leave both eyes open when focusing though the eyepiece of the vertometer. After some practise, the brain ignores the message from the eye that isn't at the eyepiece. Please teach them how to find the identifier marks on progressive lenses and to look up the lenses in a lens guide to make sure that they are reading them in the right area and that they are not reading the lenses off axis or off power as single vision lenses.
    Good luck with your class!
    jP

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Jenny

We always mark up our progressives before we begin neutralising, and use an international lens identification guide to determine exactly what they are wearing.

The problem I am encountering is that the ladies I am they are using very short corridor progressive lenses, like the Nikon Presio I. Using this lens, they are unable to find a place on the lens where their accomodation isn't over or under compensating - which means their accuracy is off by as much as .50 dioptres.

I have put one of the students into a D28 and it seems to remedy the situation, but this is an expensive endeavour.

Does anyone else know of this problem or experience it themselves as a progressive wearer? Any solutions?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb progressives

Mary, you could probably try having these ladies take off thier glasses and adjusting the focimeter, where the reticule is clear. Most focimeters are adjustable enough to make up for these differences. We have a tendency in larger places where several people are using the same focimeter, to not readjust it to the eye that is using the instrument, and this will also lead to false readings.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: progressives

harry a saake said:
    Mary, you could probably try having these ladies take off thier glasses and adjusting the focimeter, where the reticule is clear. Most focimeters are adjustable enough to make up for these differences. We have a tendency in larger places where several people are using the same focimeter, to not readjust it to the eye that is using the instrument, and this will also lead to false readings.
    Mary Sue,
    I agree with Harry. All of the progressive wearers I have worked with did this and it worked well. I just hate being the person to use it after them!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi, Mary Sue

Not being sure of what lensometer you are using, I might suggest looking into how the lensometer you use deals with auxillary lenses in addition to the eyepiece adjustment. I have encountered the problem myself, and in my instance added a +2.00 auxillary lens which solves the greatest portion of the problem. Every lensometer is different and while most have an eyepiece that is adjustable, others have an additional auxillary lens holder on the business end that holds prism and some plus lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Thank you for recommending the auxilliary eye piece attachment. I wonder if there are any Australians or Kiwis around that might know where to find a catalogue for such a thing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb aussies

:D Mary, i would suggest getting in touch with David Wilson, who teaches at the optical school there in Australia, i dont have his email, but you can always find him in the opthalmic optics section. Alans method will work , but i think mine is simpler.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mary Sue

Whoever made or sold you the lensometer will know what accessories comes with it or is available. The internet also has a lot of information...search for product name and model. I'm confident that the auxillary lenses are available for your particular model. Look around the front of the lensometer optical system to see if there is a ring or open slot that looks like it would hold a lens. Trial lenses often fit right in that slot. At least, that's my experience.

Asking an expert is always easier.

Right on, Harry.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MarySue,
    It seems you are yet to discover the joys of presbyopia. (By the way, Harry, thanks for remembering me) As it happens, MarySue, I'm off to Auckland tomorrow to run a prac. If you are in town, look me up, I'll be at XtraVision.
    I wear progressives and have had no problems, however if your people are looking through their lenses in the corridor this is where their problems are likely to be. Ideally they should be looking through the fitting cross region (or higher is OK) and keeping both eyes open as Jenny suggested. The light leaving the focimeter should be parallel and so the eyes need to be relaxed as in viewing a distant object. If one eye is closed there is a chance that you will be accommodationgf (with the closed eye turned inwards). This is inducing myopia (from the focimeters point of view). The same will occur if you look through the corridor. harry's idea is also OK, but not ideal if they have a large cyl. They should still keep both eyes open.
    As long as the graticule remains clear and the target is clear on plano they should not have too many problems.
    Incidentally, when focussing the eyepiece, turn the eyepiece anticlockwise to its full extent. Then slowly turn it clockwise until the lines are clear (don't go past that point).
    Regards
    David

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks for your help David. I'm in Auckland on Friday the 1st of November, but have to high tail it back for a 25 years in practice celebration with one of our optometrists!

I hope to catch up with you soon though - so email me at mshopper@visique.co.nz when you're next through New Zealand!

Thread Information