Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shamir DUO!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shamir DUO!

FINALLY!

Someone understands the need!

Shamir DUO: A blended, FF, digitally surfaced back-side bifocal without all the other garbage previous attempts have had.

I saw a Plano/2.00 add. Best blended I have ever seen!

Looking forward.

B

PS - ALL MATERIALS!

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Yeah, I have been waiting for the DUO to come out as soon as I heard about it. Where did you see it, is it available yet?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They are available starting Monday March 31st.

Reference:
    http://optometrytimes.modernmedicine...-duo?page=full

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't believe we're excited about this, part of me is wondering why the heck lens technology skipped over this in the first place in the evolution of lens designs, but I'm excited and can think of a couple people off the top of my head that will love them!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, is this like sex to you, you can't ever get enough? You post the most dreary predictions and links about how we will all dye from online glasses, and we all know we will all succumb to the Big "E" or the big "L"some day, it just wears thin some days. Half empty? Or half full?

Thanks for the update Barry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris:
    ECPs have got to learn that they areno different than plumbers or electricians:
    They've got to be the REASON that people want exams and glasses from them. Its all the same fixtures, wood and nails. Its whose putting it all together, and the working relationship that sums up the added value

B

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Why can't they make a blended TRIO?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    FINALLY!

Someone understands the need!

Shamir DUO: A blended, FF, digitally surfaced back-side bifocal without all the other garbage previous attempts have had.

I saw a Plano/2.00 add. Best blended I have ever seen!

Looking forward.

B

PS - ALL MATERIALS!
    Barry,

I've seen free-form generated slabs; they have cosmetically and non-functional 3mm to 6mm wide zones of very strong blur, depending on the degree of prism, just like a blended bifocal. How did they reduce the 'garbage'?

Shamir Duo is the company’s first bifocal lens, according to a company press release, which has no visible line division typical with flat-top bifocals. The new product has a distortion-free vision path, which is more natural for the wearer and more aesthetically pleasing.
    Is it a hybrid, that is, a progressive corridor with a blended periphery? A blended Smart Seg? I don't think so! A distortion free vision path? Whoo hoo! A yellow brick road! You won't see the distortion once you enter the poppy field! Or the marketing department.

It's certainly worth a look if segment optical boundaries are bit tidier than present art blended multifocals.

http://www.shamirlens.com/images/duo_ts.pdf

http://www.healio.com/optometry/cont...n-for-patients
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Chris, is this like sex to you ................................

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Chris, is this like sex to you, you can't ever get enough? You post the most dreary predictions and links about how we will all dye from online glasses, and we all know we will all succumb to the Big "E" or the big "L"some day, it just wears thin some days. Half empty? Or half full?

Thanks for the update Barry.

obxeyeguy.....................how can you bring sex into a discussion like that ? You should post that on Facebook, but I would not see it as I am not a member.

I come from a opticians family who'se family store has been and still is operating since 1907 which makes it 107 years of continuous operation under the same name, supplying top quality optical retail products ever since.
    In the late 1940's a friend of my fathers brought his son to our home who stayed with us for a few month. Both, the father was and the son became President of (SL) Essilor later on. That was my initial contact with that name............going back a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini

Chris:

ECPs have got to learn that they are no different than plumbers or electricians:

They've got to be the REASON that people want exams and glasses from them. Its

all the same fixtures, wood and nails. Its whose putting it all together, and the working

relationship that sums up the added value

B

Barry:

You are totally right...........but it does not seem to sink in. I am and already have started to adapt to different business methods to go and change with the times that are just around here or at the corner.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    obxeyeguy.....................how can you bring sex into a discussion like that ? You should post that on Facebook, but I would not see it as I am not a member.
    I wouldn't see it either, as I don't participate. Your doom and gloom of the internet taking over is almost as bad as your predictions of the past recession for, er, about 4 years. Move on. I understand you come from a family history in optical, and that's great, but stop with the world is ending soon and the informercial replies.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Love Shamir product , but his Duo is what a handfull of labs have already been doing. A backside kryptok ground digitally. Kudos to Shamir for marketing it, but it's nothing new.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is NOT at all like other FF labs backside round seg. The FF labs in house design is dreck. The shamir version was beautiful.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who is doing them now? Is it different than the DVI blended and how?
    Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    It is NOT at all like other FF labs backside round seg. The FF labs in house design is dreck. The shamir version was beautiful.

B

What makes it different and how?

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    My understanding is this... basically there are a couple of things working against the sharpness of the backside round seg. as the add power increases it gets harder to make a crisp line aroun the segment and secondly the speed that the generator is set too effects the sharpness of the segment barrier. as the add power increase you have to slow the generator down to make a clean line with minimal blending. my guess is if this is a workable backside round seg then it is because they are setting the macros on the generator to slow optimally with the increase in add. yes, no maybe?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IdentityOpticalLab View Post
    My understanding is this... basically there are a couple of things working against the sharpness of the backside round seg. as the add power increases it gets harder to make a crisp line aroun the segment and secondly the speed that the generator is set too effects the sharpness of the segment barrier. as the add power increase you have to slow the generator down to make a clean line with minimal blending. my guess is if this is a workable backside round seg then it is because they are setting the macros on the generator to slow optimally with the increase in add. yes, no maybe?
    I am out of my element here (no pun intended). But if their samples are representative, then DUO will be a HIT!

B

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by IdentityOpticalLab View Post
    From what I can see, it looks like a kind of seamless round seg (though the position of the NRP is interesting) - one advantage of which would be, it would be easier to fabricate on freefrom gear than a regular round seg would be, for the reasons you cite. It's hard to make seams.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    From what I can see, it looks like a kind of seamless round seg (though the position of the NRP is interesting) - one advantage of which would be, it would be easier to fabricate on freefrom gear than a regular round seg would be, for the reasons you cite. It's hard to make seams.
    Right, Barry says it's a blended (round?) bifocal, aka Younger Seamless, Coburn/Sola EZ2Vue, with, according to Barry, less drek.

The curve ball is Shamir's marketing that promises a "distortion free path," implying some kind of hybrid design, let's say a blended Smart Seg without the top segment line, which seems unlikely.

If it's just a round blended, but cleaner, probably because the junction/blend zone is sharper, it should be more visible.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If this is a RD seg, why is it better than a traditional ft design? (other than purely cosmetic). If it's a 28mm seg area, it's going to be a drop of 14mm to the segs OC as opposed to the usual 8mm on a ft design (28 seg). Any vertical imbalance at 90 will be exasperated with the extra 6mm drop. Personally, I don't have much of a market for this product other than making golf segs (one eye only, seg turned temporally.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Right, Barry says it's a blended (round?) bifocal, aka Younger Seamless, Coburn/Sola EZ2Vue, with, according to Barry, less drek.

The curve ball is Shamir's marketing that promises a "distortion free path," implying some kind of hybrid design, let's say a blended Smart Seg without the top segment line, which seems unlikely.

If it's just a round blended, but cleaner, probably because the junction/blend zone is sharper, it should be more visible.
    Interesting...I did note less blur zone at the top (10-2) of the seg zone.

B

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    it occurred to me that the issue of surfacing and getting that crisp line might not be as cumbersome if they are only focusing on the top 10 to 2 section of the round seg.

Occupation
    Why didn't they go with the blended flat top?? It makes more sense to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have seen a few gorgeous free-form round seg bi-focals, many with FF compensations to the near, and a very small .7 mm blend zone, so it was clean and invisible and tiny. But I don't see how this is new yet?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For starters, as I understand it (DUO) to be, it is a complete back surface lens design, which might help explain the loss of blur. The add design is more of a mushroom shape not round, the add power starts at about 2mm below the horizontal/180 and it expands as you move down the pathway. Shamir, recommends fitting it at the center pupil, this tells me that there is approximately a 3-4mm drop to the horizontal line, very much like fitting a PAL. Thinking of it as a round segment with a free form design is what may be causing the confusion as to the true nature of this lens.

Thread Information