Thread: State University of New York College of Optometry announced today at Vision Expo..

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper State University of New York College of Optometry announced today at Vision Expo..

What will they do for getting a quarter of a million ..................??????

State University of New York College of Optometry Accepts $250,000 Gift from Essilor

Donation to Support State-of-the-Art Laboratory

NEW YORK, NY – March 28, 2014 - The State University of New York College of Optometry announced today at Vision Expo East a $250,000 gift from Essilor of America, the world’s leading provider of eyeglass lenses. In recognition for the gift, SUNY will name its dispensary the “Essilor Eyewear Center.”
    “On behalf of the entire SUNY Optometry community, I would like to express my great appreciation to Essilor for the generosity and significant support to our students, faculty and patients that they are providing through their gift,” said David Heath, OD, EdM, president of the State University of New York College of Optometry. “As a result, we will be able to continue to enhance the education of our students, as well as continue to improve our patient care experience and facilitate the operation of our dispensing service.”

see all of it ----------------> http://news.essilorusa.com/releases/...0000-gift-from

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And the big E grip tightens....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good for, SUNY school of optometry. By the time these young men and women enter tomorrows work force they can begin preparing for a new profession outside of optometry, as Essilor continues to move with on line refractions and continued growth in their on line eyewear division. OOPS unless I'm confused, by big E you didn't mean Edsel.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Big E and the big L are driven by greed and nothing will stand in their way... I cant believe how things have changed in the 30 years of practicing my optical craft...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always thought of greed as a characteristic of an individual. While I don't agree with E, and I don't support them, this is nothing more than basic, solid, business techniques at work. I'm sure it happens in other industries as well. Butter the bread of your base when they're learning, and they'll come to you for the bread after they graduate.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cheaper to pony up the money to optical boards than to have to face a series of lawsuits (from the orders) over online dispenseing and optical control

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Cheaper to pony up the money to optical boards than to have to face a series of lawsuits (from the orders) over online dispenseing and optical control
    You hit the nail on the head. Up here in Canada, they have every college, university, regulatory body and professional association on their 'donation payroll'. It keeps all at bay sitting quietly with their heads stuck in the sand. All of these organizations rely heavily upon the E dough for survival.

Not to mention, they're investing in and lining up (while brand brainwashing) all those little student ophthalmic soldiers.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    At my alma mater, in my day, the Dean disallowed that crap.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today the schools / orders can not afford to ignore these type of donations. Without them there would be no optical courses, equipment to practice with, supplies to learn how to make eyeglasses. Big E truly has the all by the big Kahoonas and isn't about to let go. My question would be ....if it's good for Big E and L does this meen the little guy can now play online and not have to worry.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper My question would be ....................................

Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post

My question would be ....if it's good for Big E and L does this meen the little guy can now play online and not have to worry.

The little guy online might just be a so called test case, and if he can not or will not invest into costly lawyers, he might be at the loosing end.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reading these post in this thread it sounds like the "talking heads" in radio. Everyone has a analogy of sorts. And frankly these analogy's do not sway the market. It will be what the big game players choose to make of it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are big because we help them get there. Don't like what they're doing? Don't use their products. There are choices.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Reading these post in this thread it sounds like the "talking heads" in radio. Everyone has a analogy of sorts. And frankly these analogy's do not sway the market. It will be what the big game players choose to make of it.
    I like this post. Talk is cheap.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thats the best part of it. "Talk is cheap" and safe.........never heard of anyone being busted for "Talking Under The Influence."

Occupation

Blue Jumper some of them radio "talking heads" that post here .................................

................... some of them radio "talking heads" that post here might know a little more than you assume or know. If you have not realized what is going on and check not any further on the international scene is probably the reason that you make post's as above one.

I have followed the E progress over the years since i picked up the then President of E arriving at the New York Harbour, June 1964, on the liner "France" havng crossed the Ocean in the "Presidential suite" and drove him and his wife to Montreal. Which was the start of what we see today.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My apologies if I touched a nerve there Mr Ryser. You average around 1500 post a year and I'm sure you have plenty of knowledge to share. In the short 10 years I have been on here I have only been able to post a little over 500. I learn more by keeping my ears open.
    My post did not say anything about the talking heads not knowing anything or any assumption of their knowledge. I said their "analogy's do not sway the market."

Occupation

Redhot Jumper "I said theiranalogy's not do sway the market." .....................................

My apologies if I touched a nerve there Mr Ryser. You average around 1500 post a year and I'm sure you have plenty of knowledge to share. In the short 10 years I have been on here I have only been able to post a little over 500. I learn more by keeping my ears open.
    My post did not say anything about the talking heads not knowing anything or any assumption of their knowledge. "
    I said theiranalogy's not do sway the market."
    No problem, my nerves can take that. I am on the computer most of the day and Optiboard is during a break from the daily routine doing research and daily work. If I see something that is of some interest I make a post, and that is why I accumulated a fair share of posts.

As to swaying the market ...............it has already been swayed and will do even more with time.
    It is due to commercial politics by the large corporations in many fields from oil, to now optics already in the doing for many years. Only now it is threatening the conventional retail market.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    At my alma mater, in my day, the Dean disallowed that crap.
    That must have been when people had balls and were not a bunch of sellout puppets.

The schools charge enough in tuition to survive without this nonsense.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=HindSight2020;482874 Not to mention, they're investing in and lining up (while brand brainwashing) all those little student ophthalmic soldiers.[/QUOTE]

That is the really scary part.

Thread Information