Thread: Round seg 28 can not have transitions... WHAT?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question Round seg 28 can not have transitions... WHAT?

So I just got off the phone with our lab, and they claim that round segs of any other type besides 24 mm cannot have transitions/AR coatings. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I think it's kinda absurd. Why would the different seg size matter in applying transitions or other coatings? Our lab gave me some kind of excuse about the different materials used in making a bigger seg. Is this true?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Transitions isn't a coating, it is part of the plastic resin. If no manufacturers are casting Round 28's in Transitions, then it's not available.

X-Cel makes a Round 24 in Transitions. That's probably about the best you are going to do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some labs offer digital surfacing of round segs that are not "stock" lenses.

Find a better lab.

These guys may be a start:

http://3riversoptical.com

http://www.ice-tech.com/

http://questopticallab.com/

http://www.usoptical.com/index.html

http://www.rochesteroptical.com/prod...-free-form.php
    Last edited by Fezz; 03-28-2014 at 12:28 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Well, transitions I understand, sort of, but an anti-glare coating as well? Not to mention what really frustrates me is that they will do it for a round 24, but not a round 28. As if the size of the seg would make a difference...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernian View Post
    Well, transitions I understand, sort of, but an anti-glare coating as well? Not to mention what really frustrates me is that they will do it for a round 24, but not a round 28. As if the size of the seg would make a difference...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Transitions isn't a coating, it is part of the plastic resin. If no manufacturers are casting Round 28's in Transitions, then it's not available.

X-Cel makes a Round 24 in Transitions. That's probably about the best you are going to do.
    Why would they not be able to make it in a bigger seg, though? Just because the 24 is the most popular? But my point is they should be able to. It shouldn't be completely impossible like my lab is having me believe.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's not that it's impossible it's that it is not cost effective to manufacter, sort of like asking for Colored Multifocal CLs......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another logic, beside ones mentioned above, is a 28mm round seg would have it's functioning oc at 14mm away from segment edge, thus creating a near inefficiency.
    Eyes wide open

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I think a misunderstanding for a lot of opticians is the mindset of not available meaning not possible. Like people before said, its not financially smart to make every lens in transition or every index. Its very possible, just need to make the mold and cast the resin. If were talking about imbibed photochromics, then take the uncoated cast lens blank and imbibe it. Its as simple as that. But transitions knows that maybe 1% of the sales volume would be say rd24 trans brown. It doesn't make sense to dedicate a manufacturing run to pop out a bunch of rd24 trans browns when you could spend the energy making something more popular. Also, controlled lens blanks like transitions or some shamir lenses, create an availability issue. They make or procure the blanks to maintain a quality control level and then apply their A/R or send to transitions for imbibing before they ship them to labs for surfacing/edging. Because they control the blanks the labs are at their will to only offer what is supplied. Ever ordered a Shamir Auto III lens with a Hoya Recharge AR? Doesn't work becuase they can't get shamir blanks with other brands AR's. But it doesnt mean its impossible. So when your lab says its impossible, it may not be literal. But realistically short of purchasing a mold and casting it yourself then sending it to transitions for imbibing then it is impossible.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Oh and if you are interested in making molds and casting your own resin then I have a contact for you. His name is Chris and he is in charge of Dillon Optics here is Scottsdale. They make pretty cool matte finish sunglasses lenses. During the development phase they decided to mold and cast the lenses themselves then they finally outsourced it. Its pretty cool to check out thier mad scientist lab if you get a chance.

There is actually good money to be made if you can cast oddball lenses like a RD24 in trans gray, and get labs to order from you. Its like the crazy expensive SV 1.67 polarized lenses, I remember charging an extra $200 or something like that. That particular combo was way out alignment with all the other lens upgrade charges.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Three Rivers Optical is going to be your best bet. They use digital surfacing technology and can make about any round seg in any size or material you want and I'm pretty sure they can make them in Transitions and with an AR coating. Contact them at: 1-800-756-2020. Hope this helps!

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The limitation of specialty bifocal styles in Transitions lens materials is due mainly to economics: There is very low demand for products like round seg bifocals, so it may not be cost-effective to offer them. Of course, free-form surfacing round seg bifocals onto a single vision lens blank is not subject to these same cost constraints.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i'm under the impression that transitions is a COATING applied to eveyones lenses is this not the correct information ??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pafinney View Post
    i'm under the impression that transitions is a COATING applied to eveyones lenses is this not the correct information ??
    Incorrect, please try again.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Incorrect, please try again.
    maybe you would benefit from a check of the transitions web site -- transitions is a COATING applied to other manufactured lenses with a priority based on each polymer used by these manufacturers think about it transitions does not manufacture all lens blanks with the thousands of designs of progressives available --these lenses are sent to transitions to have a coating applied -- PAF

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    maybe you would benefit from a check of the transitions web site -- transitions is a COATING applied to other manufactured lenses with a priority based on each polymer used by these manufacturers think about it transitions does not manufacture all lens blanks with the thousands of designs of progressives available --these lenses are sent to transitions to have a coating applied -- PAF
    Right and wrong. From the Transitions website:

FROM ORDINARY LENSES TO EXTRAORDINARY TECHNOLOGY

The Transitions photochromic technology becomes an integral part of the lensthrough one of two specialized processes.

One process is called imbibing. Derived from the Latin word imbibere meaning, to drink in, this method uses heat to draw the photochromic dye into the lens itself. After the imbibing is complete, a scratch-resistant coating is applied to the surface of the lens.

A number of lens materials do not imbibe readily. In these cases another method called Trans-Bonding™ is used. Where imbibing places the photochromic technology below the lens surface, the patented Trans-Bonding puts the photochromic technology on the lens surface.

Both the imbibing and Trans-Bonding methods provide the same uniform tint color, regardless of lens thickness differences caused by lens prescriptions. At Transitions Optical we develop and adapt our processes for optimum photochromic performance, lens durability and compatibility with other lens treatments like anti-reflective coating.

Occupation
    But it's not a send a job in and have it coated coating. I am sure that a manufacturer needs to send a minimum quantity of lenses for the economics and transitions to even consider doing it. Unless you have na in lab process or a in office process you really have to choose from the blanks available not the ones you would like to be available unless, like mentioned above you mold the blanks yourself and create enough of a demand to have another manufacturer see it as financially viable.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Thread Information