Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody familiar with NVI Americas Best ???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anybody familiar with NVI Americas Best ???

They're moving into our "neighborhood"...4 locations in the last 5 months. Lots of TV ads...good locations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are one of the chains that I've alluded to in other posts when folks start freaking about internut pricing. These are B&M's with similar pricing. But don't worry. I don't know of any quality independents that have been run out of business because of them. In fact, your business will increase if they are located close by. (The closer, the better.)

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    They're moving into our "neighborhood"...4 locations in the last 5 months. Lots of TV ads...good locations.
    Home of the 7min eye exam .

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've found the name to be completely ironic. Definitely NOT America's Best as far as quality and patient care. They rely on the old "bait and switch" way of doing business.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get ready to see a fair amount of your patients who have given them a try come to you for troubleshooting.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1
    Not exactly the krytonite to a legit optical clinic. Get ready to be amazed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Been one at the other end of the street from me for around two years or so.
    As BigGuy was saying, defiantly a bait and switch operation. Have a tough time keeping staff and we all know what that can do for your business.
    They advertise two pair for $69 i believe with a free eye exam to get you in the door.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    Home of the 7min eye exam .
    8-9 minutes for contact wearers

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for them for a year awhile back. Doctors are employees, they schedule 2 exams every 15 minutes (8 per hour) do not have in-house labs, and the exam is free when you purchase 2 pair of eyeglasses. When I was there, they also offered an exam 'membership' for contact lens patients, I think it was $99 for unlimited exams for 3 years.

They advertise 2 for $59 or $69 or whatever it is, which includes SV plastic lenses only, from a select group of frames. No warranty. If they want a one year, one time replacement warranty, it costs another $59. They do offer higher priced/quality frames and progressives, and all the usual upgrades but things can get very complicated from there. Prices all depend on what the original frame prices are, what lens styles you pick, if they are the same options for both pairs, if you purchase a warranty. I had to create a frame/lens/option table diagram thing just to make sense of it.

Biggest issue I ran into on almost a daily basis, was the customer complaining about feeling tricked. Sounded something like this...

Me, "Ok Mr. Smith, these 2 frames with a progressive polycarb lens with non-glare will cost $xxx."
    Mr. Smith, "Commercial said two pair for $69. I'm only paying $69."
    Me, "Yes, the commercial says 2 for $69, for sv plastic lenses from a select group of frames. You chose better frames and are wearing progressive lenses now, so it will cost $xxx"
    Mr. Smith, "Nope. You aren't tricking me, that commercial says 2 pair for $69. I'm only paying $69. Let me talk to the manager."
    Me, "I am the manager, and I can sell you 2 for $69. We just have to pick different frames, and they will only be good for driving, or reading, not both like your current glasses."
    Mr. Smith, "That's more like it. Customer is always right you know."
    *2 weeks later*
    Mr. Smith, "I got these glasses here and the damn things don't work. They're too thick and I can't read anything. I can see better out of my old ones."
    Me, *bangs head on table*
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper America's Best ..............................

1. National Vision | America's Best Contact & Eyeglasses

www.nationalvision.com/retail-divisions/americasbest CachedAmerica’s Best offers a free eye exam by a professional optometrist plus great prices on eyeglasses, sunglasses and contact lenses.

and also........................online

Ads related to NVI america's Best

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    They advertise two pair for $69 i believe with a free eye exam to get you in the door.
    Which is illegal in TX, but I am sure that will not stop them from advertising it. Why any MD/OD would work for these folks is beyond me......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Which is illegal in TX, but I am sure that will not stop them from advertising it. Why any MD/OD would work for these folks is beyond me......
    I'm sure if anyone had a choice they wouldn't work for them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Anyone has a choice to take or leave a J-O-B.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 to all
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have remained sucessful despite having a WM optical and an Americas Best less than 5 mins. from our office. We have been in our community for 15 yrs., people will pay for quality, professionalism and service.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We have remained sucessful despite having a WM optical and an Americas Best less than 5 mins. from our office. We have been in our community for 15 yrs., people will pay for quality, professionalism and service.
    That's encouraging, but let me ask are 80% of your pts VSP and EYEMED (third party ins people already getting a big discount)? How has your private pay growth been?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Most of those same people will also pay $69 once to find out if they have been overpaying. That's how Amer Best operates, the lure is for a bargain and by the time you have completed the 7 minute eye exam (that's no joke BTW) they read you all the fine print. Complete bait and switch.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I might make an "eye exam" appointment and check it out for myself!

Sounds like it may be a good time!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate that! Can't they just sell inexpensive eyewear in volume and leave it at that?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    they're moving into our "neighborhood"...4 locations in the last 5 months. Lots of tv ads...good locations.
    america"s worst !!! Lol

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Americas best .............................

I hate that! Can't they just sell inexpensive eyewear in volume and leave it at that?

There have always been discounters in every country in this world, and most of the time the good quality opticians have usually well survived in spite of cheap competition.

This time in this stalled recovery from the largest recessio, with some big corporations taking over the cheapest of them all one by one, the picture might look a bit different.

They also are also selling glasses on line at

​so one could assume they also service the online purchased glasses in their stores.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They could but as long as you have a big box company what have corporate, regional, district and store managers you will always have someone trying to outshine the others in any way they can make it happen. You only outshine the others with bigger numbers and its a game that you do any and everything you can get away with at the expense of anyone who may get in your way. MAKE IT HAPPEN AT ALL COST. Then you may get a bone tossed your direction.
    Anyone out there remember the days when corporate would reward you for reaching a goal that they set. Sometimes those rewards were substantial. Now days they want to bring you some dough-nuts or pizza. How old am I now.

Multi box store company I worked in at the time set a goal that anyone who sold a million dollars that year received for them and their spouse a week in Hawaii. Better then pizza any day. One of the girls at our store made it. That company in time was bought up by luxottica. Then in many many business you started hearing of members of upper and corporate management getting paid filthy amounts of money as all the little Indian's were awarded if anything..........pizza.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ​so one could assume they also service the online purchased glasses in their stores.
    Actually no I think you would be correct in saying they service no glasses, consider multiple sources telling you about a 7 minute eye exam. Again I can't stress enough how serious I am about the 7 minute eye exam. The techs do all the pretesting and clients are herded through like cattle. Adjusting a frame, you would be lucky to find a tool in the building.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    They could but as long as you have a big box company what have corporate, regional, district and store managers you will always have someone trying to outshine the others in any way they can make it happen. You only outshine the others with bigger numbers and its a game that you do any and everything you can get away with at the expense of anyone who may get in your way. MAKE IT HAPPEN AT ALL COST. Then you may get a bone tossed your direction.
    Anyone out there remember the days when corporate would reward you for reaching a goal that they set. Sometimes those rewards were substantial. Now days they want to bring you some dough-nuts or pizza. How old am I now.

Multi box store company I worked in at the time set a goal that anyone who sold a million dollars that year received for them and their spouse a week in Hawaii. Better then pizza any day. One of the girls at our store made it. That company in time was bought up by luxottica. Then in many many business you started hearing of members of upper and corporate management getting paid filthy amounts of money as all the little Indian's were awarded if anything..........pizza.
    I worked for a company once, that offered a candy bar as a reward... Really! (What am I, 5 years old?) Another one set a completely unrealistic goal with a decent reward... spa gift card. Nice, but the goal was impossible. So it was just considered a joke by staff. Give me a break with stupid goals and rewards. Just let me do my job!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The sad thing is that as long as people are willing to work for these companies for pizza, candy bars, rewards cards and a meager salary they will stay in business......

Thread Information