Thread: Polarized...for night?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polarized...for night?

Hi there. First time posting, but have been browsing for a year or two. I've been an optician for 5 years, ABO certified for 2, and my boss, the optometrist in our office, has asked me to see if I can find her husband polarized glasses for night fishing. She's not sure where she heard about it, but feels like she has. So, I'm just looking to see if anybody has ever heard of a clear polarized lens, and if so from where? And if not, what color of polarized would be best for night fishing?

Thanks for the help!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Usually fishing tends to be a ruby polarized from what I recall (KBco has them) - I'm not sure about at night time, since you're going to be blocking light regardless of what color it is.

They have other colors as well:

http://www.kbco.net/gallery.html
    Last edited by other_bill_fea; 03-24-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    KBCO makes a yellow polarized lens

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A few things to remember here - the darker the lens, the greater the polarized effectiveness. You don't want a dark lens at night. Duh. So you can get lighter polar lenses - probably want a very light yellow. But along with that lightness you loose effectiveness.

From what little I know about our scaly piscine friends, they aren't generally active at night. At least not nearly as much as they tend to be at dawn and dusk, and during hatches. Do those generally occur at night?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    A few things to remember here - the darker the lens, the greater the polarized effectiveness. You don't want a dark lens at night. Duh. So you can get lighter polar lenses - probably want a very light yellow. But along with that lightness you loose effectiveness.

From what little I know about our scaly piscine friends, they aren't generally active at night. At least not nearly as much as they tend to be at dawn and dusk, and during hatches. Do those generally occur at night?
    My stepdad always took us fishing at night when we were kids, so I always thought so, but I'm def. no expert and have not gone fishing since I had the choice lol. But I think we're probably going to end up sticking with the yellow.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Do you know what type of night fishing? Bow and arrow or rod and reel? For both, ditch the polarized anything and stick with a good AR...If the latter, combine AR with a few submersible fish lights. That way, you have the light to see what you need, while keeping a clear, tint-free, eye out for creepy crawlies that inevitably find their way on a boat in the still of the night.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Forgive my simplicity, but if polarized lenses are used to cut glare from the sun, why would you need polarized lenses at night ? All you would be doing is blocking the little amount of light that is available. A simple A/R, as mentioned, seems the best choice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polarized lenses actually cut glare from a horizontal surface, not the sun. A bright moon causes reflection on water.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used a light polarized at night with benefit. Polarized brown A...However, some lighting conditions will be too dark for them. Use with caution.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Night fishing is about intuition, location, and persistence. Vision has little to do with it beyond tying a knot and not catching your buddy.

*hook and line fishing, I know nothing of bow fishing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear a Specialty Progressive that is Kalichrome and polarized. I originally had it made for the range, but I found that it is beautiful almost all lighting conditions (except broad daylight) and night time.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information