Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Isn't There A........

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Pogu, check your e-mail as delivered as promised with an additional module that I think you may find helpful. The PAL module allows you to look up I think it was 300+ PALs to see if they come in glass, cr, trivex, mid, hi-1.6, hi-1.67, etc. It also shouws you availability in clear, photochromic, or polarized. If you press the eye button on the right it will take you to the layout chart just use the increase or decrease sizing buttons to align the reference marks on your lens and the rest should layout accurately. In the future I will try to have it save state so you only would need to resize once. My version of the App has contact lens features as well and a few other calculators that I regularly use. I also have a PD measuring device that utilizes the camera and a virtual frame system on my version. I regularly read threads here and think of things to add to my phone or handheld computer. I have debated porting Darryl's entire spec optics program over to android, it would take a little work, but the phones of today have the processing power and would make for a very useful tool.
    Just installed. It's looking good thanks!

Occupation
    Got to put it to use the very first day, double checking the drop on an Adage lens before edging. The lens option/material filter is great, very quick, may even be able to use it in front of patients Can't wait to see how this grows, a save state for the layout chart is a must, maybe a centering chart for marking the PD on lenses for measuring horizontal prism, a chart for determining drill mount coordinates. The possibilities are endless, I could actually see buying tablets specifically for fitting/dispensing desks and the lab if this goes far enough. I'm really honored and excited to be a small part in this, I've been wishing for an app like this since rocking a Palm Treo years back.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    Making your own programs doesn't sound free to me.

What about your time?
    It's hers to give away just the same as it is to sell, I have tons of respect for both sides of that coin.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogu View Post
    It's hers to give away just the same as it is to sell, I have tons of respect for both sides of that coin.
    Of course! But 'give away' is different from 'free'. I just wouldn't want to see any expertise undervalued - even if it's undervalued by the person themselves!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Got to put it to use the very first day, double checking the drop on an Adage lens before edging. The lens option/material filter is great, very quick, may even be able to use it in front of patients Can't wait to see how this grows, a save state for the layout chart is a must, maybe a centering chart for marking the PD on lenses for measuring horizontal prism, a chart for determining drill mount coordinates. The possibilities are endless, I could actually see buying tablets specifically for fitting/dispensing desks and the lab if this goes far enough. I'm really honored and excited to be a small part in this, I've been wishing for an app like this since rocking a Palm Treo years back.
    Thanks, you know I do have a module that I have been working on that takes silhouette drill files and displays the shape and image on the phone. I was thinking this would be a great module for showing patients the various lens shapes and styles on a tablet. I have a ray trace module similar to the spectacle optics program here that gives off axis parameters that I will see if I can port over. I have another module that I am working on that will be a demonstration of lenses so the camera view will be turned into the view through various tints, ARC, Polarized, etc. Unfortunately I have not been able to get consistent results with the camera option which requires various forks for different devices. I have a few things on a nexus 7 that work great, but on a galaxy tab they have issues with image orientation. There is definitely more coming and I'll send them your way for feedback.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Save State = completed (next update)
    Centration Chart = good idea (working on)

I might revamp the layout to allow cross module settings particularly for scale. If you have any assets you would like me to include in your version (like a logo or office info) let me know.

Occupation
    Pogu,

Check your email. Save scale is done and can be set globally which means any new module like a layout chart you mentioned wont need additional calibration. i will work on that feature after the show. Any interest in prism? The feedback and advice is refreshing thank you.

Occupation
    Solid improvements, with a smaller package size no less. Prism tools would be great, maybe a calculator to determine if a stock lens is usable vs surfaced.

The permissions, uh yeah that's a lot.

Occupation
    Solid improvements, with a smaller package size no less. Prism tools would be great, maybe a calculator to determine if a stock lens is usable vs surfaced.

The permissions, uh yeah that's a lot.
    Sorry, it doesnt actually use any permissions outside of network access and thats for the next module I will make adjustments. I use an all permissions option for debugging to avoid unforseen issues the next update will correct that. I have a UV module that I have finished that I will throw into the next update, maybe this weekend.

Im assuming the prism function your inquiring about would be a minimum blank calc with prism? That sounds interesting, I could work that in. Also I can slim the package further so i am hoping to add newer functions in the next iteration with a more compact package.

This thread has been fun and inspiring if you can think of other like minded android owners that can provide the same level of criticism and constructive advice I will leave it up to you to share freely. Of course once thats said there is no take backsies so I will push updates through you if your game. And the name of the program is your choice. I kinda liked the Pogu Calculator, but the FezzJohns Combobulator has a nice ring to it as well.

Occupation
    Permissions = fixed
    UV Module = completed
    Prism Module = working on

Check your email, the new version requires network permission only to access the EPAs servers for NOAA UV data. The uv module should be self explanatory just enter the zip code and youll get the overall UV level and a 12 hour forcast for an hour by hour UV level. Any special alerts will show up as well as EPA sunwise tips and info for the particular UV levels.

Screenshots below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apps menu.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	10866 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palmaterials.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	10863 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	10864 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	10865 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palmenu.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	10862
    Last edited by MakeOptics; 04-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Permissions = fixed
    UV Module = completed
    Prism Module = working on

Check your email, the new version requires network permission only to access the EPAs servers for NOAA UV data. The uv module should be self explanatory just enter the zip code and youll get the overall UV level and a 12 hour forcast for an hour by hour UV level. Any special alerts will show up as well as EPA sunwise tips and info for the particular UV levels.

Screenshots below

Name:	apps menu.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	10866 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palmaterials.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	10863 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	10864 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	10865 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palmenu.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	10862
    Remaining screenshots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uv.jpg   tilt.png   splash.jpg  

Occupation
    I have a trace module that I alluded to earlier too, I am in the last stages of adding it but thought I would give you a peak. It will display an OMA trace file on your screen. I have an editor built into it as well, but was contemplating adding a touch screen manipulation feature to allow the operator to customize the shape on screen. As it stands the loaded file can have the code manipulated which is my preferred method. (I dream in code ; } )

Name:	lenstracer2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	10870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lenstracer.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	10871

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very impressed MakeOptics with what you've put together in what seems like a short period of time. If you're looking for other Android users to test out your app I would happily oblige

I'm brand new to Optiboard but have been reading the forums for the past week or so. Great stuff all-around.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaker View Post
    Very impressed MakeOptics with what you've put together in what seems like a short period of time. If you're looking for other Android users to test out your app I would happily oblige

I'm brand new to Optiboard but have been reading the forums for the past week or so. Great stuff all-around.
    If you know how to side load contact Pogu. Pogu was kind enough to assign value to my time and effort and it paid significant dividends. Like I said in an earlier post its his app to share I just own the source and copyright. With that said if he approves let me know of features you think would be of value.

Honestly I have offered packages in the past and offer business apps as a side business right now. The problem is if I load these apps into the play store it would expose my identity. If my real name was exposed I dont think anyone on this forum would question what I say I can do. By putting this app in Pogu hands he gets to have the nice PMs sent to him trying to get an app and others can continue to be rotten to me if that is their perogative.
    Last edited by MakeOptics; 04-04-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Occupation
    Centration Module = completed
    Image scale = completed
    Prism module = working on (check your email)

Pogu,

I took your suggestions on the scale image feature and moved them into a settings menu on app initialization. I also left a button to the settings menu on each module that uses the scale feature and renders an on screen image. You are correct that a scaler has to be set due to differing screen sizes and densities, the alternative method would be to screen devices and only allow devices that would render the images accurately.

Earlier in this thread you mentioned a centration chart or layout chart for marking PD's and seg heights. I made a generic grid layout with 1mm, 2mm, 5mm, and 10mm marked, it sounds like it would be junky looking but actually it works well with different layers of color and opacity It's quite user intuitive but if you need directions let me know.

I am working on the prism module and have a question regarding the detail of the output. I can punch it out quickly if you are willing to sacrifice precision. Keep in mind that if you choose precision I will have t for go assumptions and ask for data that may be obtuse like an ED angle and it will take a while longer as it will require more coding and debugging than I can fit into a single session. Anyway check your e-mail and let me know what you think. Here are the new screen grabs.

Name:	newscale.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	10884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newrxaligner.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	10885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmenu.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	10886

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very impressive stuff Make!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Very impressive stuff Make!
    Thanks bro, if you ever go android I'll give you access to the premium fork. Its got a DCD module.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    I've always had this at the back of my mind too!
    a fellow skeptic. hello!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    a fellow skeptic. hello!
    I personally am less concerned of the quality of 3 points on the lens and more concerned about how accurate the rest of the surface remains to design.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "I personally am less concerned of the quality of 3 points on the lens and more concerned about how accurate the rest of the surface remains to design"

i've delivered lenses with compensated Rx powers, where the power read on the lensmeter (and provided by the lab) were say .5 dipoters less minus (eg -6.5 instead of -7). patient notes blur in the distance, i add a -.5 with a trial and BINGO they see more clearly. now i admit to not grasping the mathematics and formulas involved here, and it appears that different suppliers have different "algorithms" to come up with their unique number --- but something appears fishy in denmark.
    I feel there is a leap of faith required here, and I am just not a religious person....Maybe my lab doesnt do it right, maybe your lab does. but these things should be repeatable, consistent and scientifically and empirically sound. Just my humble.
    Last edited by optimensch; 04-14-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    besides, my trusty old reichert phoropter which i use to refine a patients Rx to the CLOSEST .25 diopter - is built with silly little old spherical lenses, no fancy compensated values. gets the job done, even if in today's digi-world, it is just an old beater.
    maybe there is something lost in translation - maybe we need digitally compensated phoropters with fully optimized atoric aspheric lenses, in 1/100 diopter increments in order for the glasses to match what we establish in the exam room as the best rx. there is definitely a technology mis-match here - and, to my knowledge only about 99.9% of refractions by ODs and MDs are done the same way as mine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    and on a final menschy note, sorry for the multiple PS's here ---
    even when you carefully measure wrap, panto, vertex, mono pd, oc ht and all the rest (or is that it?) with your patients frame choice (presumably with 5 or 6 base PLANO demo lenses) and now you go and mount super flat -7 progressives, with the added weight and now flatter face form - and all of a sudden the same frame simply does not have the same values as before, don't all your measurements go out the window to a certain extent? you adjust out the temple splay - this can easily change panto, the oc is now lower (heavier glasses), vertex is now 2 mm bigger......maybe you adjusted face form a bit to compensate for temple splay?
    Just saying. We all KNOW that a frame with demo lenses, or no demo lenses simply does not fit the same as a frame with high Rx lenses. don't we?

Occupation
    Optimensch,

Use a design with no comp and use the available research to apply your own comp algorithm. I have yet to trust any companies comp, not because I think its going to be wrong it is because I have researched how to comp and apply the research that is available myself. I also find that many of the comps available for wrap sun tend to be too aggressive.

As an aside optometry used to have a problem with vertex comp and voiced opinions, which got the vertex comp into ANSI. Proprietary algorithms have no place in an office in my opinion but at the same time it is now common practice and should be realty with. I would love to see some attempt at standardizing comps so travel between offices won't leave clients with incorrectly dupped RX's or even refractions that consider the comped RX as is and adjust prescribed powers based on the notion of splitting the difference between worn and refracted powers.

Occupation
    Pogu,

Check your e-mail, minimum blank size including computations for prism is completed. Prism input is base in or base up use negative numbers for out and down. The eye toggle switches the eye so that the prism will be computed properly into the min blank size. I have made a few assumptions if data is not entered:

If ED is not supplied ED = A + 1
    If OC is not supplied the OC is placed @ datum
    if B is not supplied it is assumed at 2/3 the A measure
    Worst case scenario is assumed, the decentration due to power and mechanical factors are combined into a vector which is assumed to be opposite of the ED (without an ED angle this is the best method for computation)

Not really sure what to add next. Maybe time to open up for outside testing and suggestions?

Name:	new mbs.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	10914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new menu.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	10915

Thread Information