Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superfocus...GONE!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    They got thrown on the ol' scrap heap!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave I spoke with the inventor, CEO and VP of Marketing yesterday.

They are very smart nice folks who ended up going down due to lack of funding. They do have a very viable concept and I sold many pairs to folks who loved them. They do have some issues but what new technology doesn't. This is a niche product.

Imagine this product with the ability to take the wearer from any RX and adding up to a 5D add over the entire lens! Imagine this with a filter for macular to improve contrast while allowing folks to fine tune vision for mid-range to near; this is what they are really lacking in conventional lenses.

The next generation of this technology is a game changer.

I would love to hear some ideas as to what this type of product could do to help our patients and make us a unique service provider.

Barry,
    what would you like to see for this and how many could you offer if it went to a 5D and this does not include style changes that where coming?

People did not care about the style if the product solves an issue for them.

This concept is good but it needs to be fine tuned for commercial success.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think the biggest advantage would be to put about a diopter of plus in the straight-ahead gaze as desktop computing is apparently here to stay.

It would also be nice to put about 2.5 D in straight-ahead gaze for things like working under a sink or reading in bed.

It would be neat if there was a photochromic or clip on.

I can imagine them as the "McGuyver" of eyeglasses for geeky presbyopes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I think the biggest advantage would be to put about a diopter of plus in the straight-ahead gaze as desktop computing is apparently here to stay.

It would also be nice to put about 2.5 D in straight-ahead gaze for things like working under a sink or reading in bed.

It would be neat if there was a photochromic or clip on.

I can imagine them as the "McGuyver" of eyeglasses for geeky presbyopes.
    The photochromic is easy because you use the RX lens for what ever you want, the clip on is a great idea. If it could be a magnet held like Chemestrie that would be a nice product.

When you look at life it would be nice to have glasses that you can decide the power and it is available anywhere you need it. i could not install my new stereo because I could not see the little wires. Had to call my brother in-law over.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    traditional, proven methods.
    I see zero future for fluid or Alvarez lenses. Maybe electro-active or similar technology, given enough time for functional improvements and refinement. For now, sideshow only.

We should be good to go for the next 10 to 20 years, if you're an expert in managing presbyopia, using present day state of the art.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would not count out Adlens. There are still a few big "ifs" around their technology. But, if they solve these "ifs" it could be a game changer.

Put the SV Rx in the lens just like any other SV lens. Put the add on the back using their fluid technology. Slide the dial half way and get a +1.00 add for the computer. Slide the dial all the way and get a +2.00 for reading.

If they can do this for a few bucks on top of the cost of a SV lens, then.....

If, if, if...they can get beyond the ifs. Like Dandy Don Meredith used to say, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've never seen one of these dandies. Do the lenses have a binocularly add-changing mechanism, or is it "focus right/focus left" independently?

Also, what about OC placement in higher powers? It's harder to converge with a +3.00 distance lens power without moving the OC's in...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, i loved my Superfocus, and so did all the people who purchased them from me. Even at an average $700 each, if people lost or damaged them, they'd be on the phone with me the next day to reorder them. I agree with Craig: Clients LUVED them!

next gen simply has to have a larger lens ( round no problem) and less leaking issues. Lower the price to $400, abd you've got a winner!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've never seen one of these dandies. Do the lenses have a binocularly add-changing mechanism, or is it "focus right/focus left" independently?

Also, what about OC placement in higher powers? It's harder to converge with a +3.00 distance lens power without moving the OC's in...
    I do not think they have the product I described at this time. From what I have been told, this is what they are working toward. The goal would also be to have the ability to locate the add power at different seg heights. The focus adjustment on the current edition of adlens is done independently from left/right.

I believe we are still in the very early stages of the development of this technology. Adlens may have access to more funding than Superfocus.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think patient adjustable glasses may be ok for magnification needs, but not for Rx glasses. They may fill a novelty need, but almost never a "medical" need. Won't be long before the Chinese make them for a buck.

You can build a better mousetrap, but the world may not necessarily beat a path to your door.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I think patient adjustable glasses may be ok for magnification needs, but not for Rx glasses. They may fill a novelty need, but almost never a "medical" need. Won't be long before the Chinese make them for a buck.

You can build a better mousetrap, but the world may not necessarily beat a path to your door.
    What do you think about the ability to put a 5D add on any ones glasses that is variable for macular and low vision needs? Isn't that an RX pair for medical?
    Please explain your logic to me regarding medical.

The next gen is not with fluid by the way so the main issues of round, leaking and low add are taken care of. This will be a viable niche at some point in the world once the kinks are worked out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Honestly, i loved my Superfocus, and so did all the people who purchased them from me. Even at an average $700 each, if people lost or damaged them, they'd be on the phone with me the next day to reorder them. I agree with Craig: Clients LUVED them!

next gen simply has to have a larger lens ( round no problem) and less leaking issues. Lower the price to $400, abd you've got a winner!
    They did lower the price but sales only went 2x and needed to 4x to make money; not a good decision financially but it was not their decision but that of an investor who basically made them do it.

Why would you double sales to make less money and tell yourself it is a good deal?

Thread Information