Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superfocus...GONE!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Superfocus...GONE!

Just had a telephone request for any superfocus chassis laying around (I do). I called and confirmed they're out of business.

(EDIT: I've concluded they are out of business because their phone message is over a week out of date. Please update me if anyone knows more.)

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 03-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The message on their phone states that they were going to be closed from Feb 24th to March 3rd for physical inventory and a change to the organizational structure. I guess there was a permanent layoff to that organizational structure.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel bad for Penn Jillette!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I feel bad for...

...no one!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Big E can now buy up the left overstock and put it up for sale.......on their new website (CC)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never thought it was a great idea. I tried a demo once... once.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ugly, bad fitting and expensive. LOL

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry The folks at Superfocus where honest and never hid behind the issues.

A number of folks lost jobs and money but those on OB find that amusing?

I love folks who never put their own time and money on the line then laugh at those who try but what you do not realize is they are the winners in the end. I have failed numerous times and even had to go bankrupt 20 years ago but would do it all over again.

I had 4 stores and am back down to one while making more money than we have ever made; if we did not fail we would never have succeeded!

There is good reason most of you are miserable in your profession and as such do such a poor job and think it is justified by your low pay or lack of education.

I am sorry and embarrassed that I am an optician right now.

The difference is I am a professional and would never consider this a career full of professionals just the opposite; most opticians are silly order takers who think a PD and set ht is the only thing that stands between the internet and them being unemployed.

I am going to call the CEO and VP to apologize for the nasty attitude of opticians and explain most are uneducated and selfish little people who like to see others fail. That is why they are opticians and do not think of themselves or act like professionals.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like Craig is also tired.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Power-adjusting lenses were ill-conceived, and I don't like the idea of self-adjustment, that's all.

But I was mean, Craig, you're right. Sorry Superfocus.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is always a shame when a company goes out of business and people lose their jobs. They tried and failed. I have no experience with Superfocus lenses, it looks like a neat system but not aesthetically pleasing.
    Sooner or later someone will be able to get it right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Power-adjusting lenses were ill-conceived, and I don't like the idea of self-adjustment, that's all.

But I was mean, Craig, you're right. Sorry Superfocus.
    Sorry for being so sensitive- DRK, you are 99% a really nice guy- and I apologize for puking on you via my keyboard. I did mean most of above and that is the reason for my pent ip frustration with optical in general.

The owners lost their a-- and where trying to change way certain folks used glasses. The idea as a niche pair is great; they had some initial technical issues but can tell you that 90% of those who purchased them from us love the concept. It is a great lens for anyone monocular and/or with a hobby that required a unique focal length.
    Thye where open to new ideas and where not trying to get rich but solve an issue that does exist.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    It is always a shame when a company goes out of business and people lose their jobs. They tried and failed. I have no experience with Superfocus lenses, it looks like a neat system but not aesthetically pleasing.
    Sooner or later someone will be able to get it right.
    I had worked with them to solve the aesthetics and maybe this is the time to look at the possibilities of what this type of product can offer to the world?

the only mistake they made was under funding.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Superfocus, Adlens Adjustables & Variable power (Launching soon at LC exclusive for 6 months), Opternative and Eye Netra are the first of a completely new technological wave to impact our industry.

Get with the program and start body-surfing, or be left behind.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sez the ultimate early adopter.

Mr. Late Adopter sez: better look before you leap, or end up on the ol' scrap heap.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I had worked with them to solve the aesthetics and maybe this is the time to look at the possibilities of what this type of product can offer to the world?

the only mistake they made was under funding.
    I believe there is a comparable system aiming to provide eyecare to third world countries, it`s called Eyejusters.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I believe there is a comparable system aiming to provide eye care to third world countries; it's called the traditional, proven methods.

I'm tired of everyone coming up with sub-standard crap for the "third world".

Did you know the missionaries don't even pick up used glasses anymore? It's cheap enough to make them per patient. We don't need some "humanitarian entrepreneurs" (and soooooo maaaaaanyyyyyy are just doing this as a marketing gimmick to make themselves seem "green" or "global" or whatever) lowering our high standards by introducing "self refraction" or "self-adjusting" or whatever "cool, disruptive" idea they come up with.

Don't fall for that crap.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    With today being the anniversary of the Japanese earthquake, tsunami, and lots of high myopes losing their eyeglasses, I'm reminded of EmergenSee adjustable eyewear...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper There are some very basic ones ..................................

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a whole box of Adlens that I have tried to sell and was only able to move one pair. It is never easy to introduce a new product when it is splattered all over the internet at prices below your cost. People are not stupid. Companies of this nature must do more and all that is in their power to control their product ditribution. Anybody need a box of Adlens cheap.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Throw them on the ol' scrap heap!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe there is a comparable system aiming to provide eye care to third world countries; it's called the traditional, proven methods.

Did you know the missionaries don't even pick up used glasses anymore? It's cheap enough to make them per patient. We don't need some "humanitarian entrepreneurs" (and soooooo maaaaaanyyyyyy are just doing this as a marketing gimmick to make themselves seem "green" or "global" or whatever) lowering our high standards by introducing "self refraction" or "self-adjusting" or whatever "cool, disruptive" idea they come up with.

I tried telling this to the local LIONS. But it didn't take.

It conflicted with their personal narrative history of "wanting to help" others to see.

But it no longer necessary to do this with sleazy old Rx eyewear discards

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We have donated 100's of frames for that purpose; they do not need old stinky glasses in the wrong rx when for a few dollars we can do it right. Most of these folks really appreciate getting something new.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow, I thought I'd get flamed for that, instead of agreement from distinguished posters. Cool!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I have heard, LC no longer uses the glasses for one sight. They are recycling all the donated glasses for whatever amount of money they get and are making all new glasses for the missions. we get hundreds of pounds of glasses from our local lions clubs and we send the glasses on to wherever.

Thread Information