Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will BIG E Legally Comply and Truly Support ECP's??? Or be Spin Doctors???

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Confused Will BIG E Legally Comply and Truly Support ECP's??? Or be Spin Doctors???

With the recent acquisition of CC last week, will BIG E now do the right thing for our industry and comply with provincial dispensing laws? We shall see - the proof is always in the pudding. But I'm going to say no.

Their press release vaguely attempted to justify their acquisition and seemed to be spun in such a way that this will be great for our industry allowing both consumers and ECP's to better access there products on a new, better platform. If this is truly the case, they should immediately shut down the website or only allow any orders through the website to be picked up in a designated licenced practice where registered ECP's are on staff. Seems like a good idea right? But hang on...

Even if they could find a new way to align, develop and include ECP's in the transaction, based on current web pricing, they would only be able to provide a 'finders fee' or 'dispensing fee' to the local ECP designated to dispense the eyewear. So now all of your virtual profit margin has been eroded to a mere, minimal fee. But hey, they 'found' this new client for you right?

Now the bottom feeder consumer has a physical B&M location to come back to with all their complaints, issues and concerns with their web purchase. Perfect for them! How would a re-do be handled when the patient can't see? Where did the Rx originate? How old was it? Was it a veterinarian that did the eye exam? Was it typed in correctly into the system? What's a PD - isn't everyone in the world a 61mm? My height..ummm I think I'm 6'2". My frame hurts my temples, my nose, my ears - why can't you fit these better for me? You get the picture.

Now as far as legalities in dispensing goes, we certainly can't expect our Colleges, Universities and Associations to go after them to comply. Since they are the major financial provider and sponsor to all of the above, I'm sure there are now even more heads buried in the sand looking for a quick exit or role change.

You can't buy or touch a single area in our industry where they haven't already purchased for control and full vertical integration. The purchase of CC now gives them retail stores and provides a direct newly paved avenue to consumers in many major markets in Canada - Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and soon Ottawa.

So congratulations BIG E, you have fulfilled your market dominance and monopoly in Canada. Please don't forget about all the little people ECP's that supported you all those years and led you to the buffet table each and every day.

Friend or foe? You decide.
    Last edited by Lab Insight; 03-06-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is there licensed opticians in their new stores ? Do they show on the registry ?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper They have not yet succeded in Canada......................................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight

So congratulations BIG E, you have fulfilled your market dominance and monopoly in Canada. Please don't forget about all the little people ECP's that supported you all those years and led you to the buffet table each and every day.

They have not yet succeded in Canada. They are still on the learning curve. Once they have mastered how to deregulate the optical retail, then they have it all in the bag and can go full steam into just about every country of the globe.

They have made big inroads into the 2nd most populous country India (population
    1,241,190,000, March 7, 2014)
    where they own the largest on-line optical GKB.

Canada and the USA are their testing grounds because their a little more complicated with every State or Province have their own rules where professional licensing is handled by their gepgraphic locations while in most other countries it is the central government.

Next step is a well needed de-regulation for a good legalization of the optical Rx retail market. It was done in BC and should also be possible elsewhere.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    They have not yet succeded in Canada. They are still on the learning curve. Once they have mastered how to deregulate the optical retail, then they have it all in the bag and can go full steam into just about every country of the globe.

They have made big inroads into the 2nd most populous country India (population
    1,241,190,000, March 7, 2014)
    where they own the largest on-line optical GKB.

Canada and the USA are their testing grounds because their a little more complicated with every State or Province have their own rules where professional licensing is handled by their geographic locations while in most other countries it is the central government.

Next step is a well needed de-regulation for a good legalization of the optical Rx retail market. It was done in BC and should also be possible elsewhere.
    Spot on Chris.

Here's a heads up to what our oligarchy in Washington DC have coming for us under "free trade".

If you'd like skip to the paragraph on International Tribunal Dispute Resolution to be frightened about corporations being able to go to the least regulated country to get rulings in their favor. Yikes!!!

http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/rand-paul...al-trade-zone/

If I get a chance I'll try to start a separate thread in the General discussion forum going as this is for now a US issue but I'll bet the farm it's coming soon to Canada.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Is there licensed opticians in their new stores ? Do they show on the registry ?
    There supposedly is licensed opticians working in the Toronto stores.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    There supposedly is licensed opticians working in the Toronto stores.
    There are is or there isn't. If there is then they should show on the registry. If they don't show then why not ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are is or there isn't. If there is then they should show on the registry. If they don't show then why not ?
    Well you don't show on the College's registry accurately.
    You are still listed as working at your optical store which went bankrupt.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I clearly said there are. I'm an OD so not sure of the optician college registry.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Actually the aquisition has not happened yet.........................................

With the recent acquisition of CC last week, will BIG E now do the right thing for our industry and comply with provincial dispensing laws? We shall see - the proof is always in the pudding. But I'm going to say no.
    Actually the aquisition has not happened yet as far as I know, it will only happen in April so Big E can not even make an application if they wanted to, they are not yet the official owners of CC.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Actually the aquisition has not happened yet as far as I know, it will only happen in April so Big E can not even make an application if they wanted to, they are not yet the official owners of CC.
    It's signed alright, just not completed. So consider it a done deal. Releasing a global press release on a letter of intent doesn't happen.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    a little birdie told me that E is about to buy a big chain in quebec. Greiche and Scaff.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    a little birdie told me that E is about to buy a big chain in quebec. Greiche and Scaff.
    Is that Walmart operating in Quebec?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    yes, greiche and scaff also run the walmart opticals here.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optimensch,

Is this just a rumour or are we seriously looking at another MAJOR attack, against the optical trade. BTW, is Big E already not deeply inbeded with Nl or I. My understanding is you get your equipment for a favourable price (free) if you sign over your lab work exclusivly to them.

Occupation

Blue Jumper This was invented by IMPERIAL Optical.............

Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post

My understanding is you get your equipment for a favourable price (free) if you sign over your lab work exclusivly to them.

This was invented by IMPERIAL Optical................to give MDs and ODs the equipment at no charge, no payment needed to pay them off, but they had to give 100% of lab work to Imperial.

If they ever jumped off the bandwagon they were punished with an instant payoff notice and thousands of Dollars in back interest on top of it.

Dont mess with the biggies......................just a little warning.

Occupation
    This was invented by IMPERIAL Optical................to give MDs and ODs the equipment at no charge, no payment needed to pay them off, but they had to give 100% of lab work to Imperial.

If they ever jumped off the bandwagon they were punished with an instant payoff notice and thousands of Dollars in back interest on top of it.

Dont mess with the biggies......................just a little warning.
    That crap doesn't fly for most now a days. I've got many clients on board that are too smart for those shackles. It worked years ago, however today, they like their equipment but prefer to purchase and buy directly from elsewhere, including me - a win/win! People are finally learning the message to steer clear and retain their freedom from those demonic dominators and not get locked into silly deals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    coupe,

It is a rumor. However I heard this from a fellow who works at G & S head office, where the central lab is. He says a bunch of E people have been touring the place, with boxes of accounting records being taken etc....The consensus among the co-workers of my source is that E is about to buy. Definitely far from certain, but compelling.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Somebody pass me the Kool-aid.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper This will make Coastal a legal entity in Quebec ....................................

Somebody pass me the Kool-aid.

........................once a positive confirmation comes in, E will have an optometrist chain in most important shopping centers + the WalMarts around Montreal, legal showrooms with service for glasses sold and delivered by Coastal,

This will make Coastal a legal entity in Quebec and no opticans or optometrist's regulations will apply to them. ....................you better have a double Martini

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,
    Try this on for size.

E buys G&S then proceeds to stack the election of the order of optometrist/opticians with their candidates. They would then take over the two orders and have a free hand in how things are run in Quebec. After that is an open field for them in any area they want to play.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper E buys G&S then proceeds to stack the election ......................................

Chris,
    Try this on for size.
    E buys G&S then proceeds to stack the election of the order of optometrist/opticians with their candidates. They would then take over the two orders and have a free hand in how things are run in Quebec. After that is an open field for them in any area they want to play.

Perfect coupe................should work.

.................and if it does not E has enough resources to make it work another way.

We should soon see some advertisings in French for CC Essilor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    E already has quite a free hand in Quebec and most everywhere else....
    When independent ECPs, and perhaps some chains as well, realize what is happening (can we hope?) there will be a tidal shift in their buying habits. I have been doing my little part, to the benefit of Hoya and others.
    Switching lens brands and suppliers is not hard to do.
    The navel gazers at the boards of O's in Quebec are busy fighting each other (!!) in a surreal battle while E, L and Nikon stand on the sidelines barely concealing their laughter at the naivete and shear stupidity of these "professionals". What a joke.
    So many independents here are passive and whistling past the graveyard while all this is going on. I've taken a stand, a marketing approach, and have never been busier.
    These moves by E and L have emboldened me to go even further into uncharted waters here....I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Occupation
    When independent ECPs, and perhaps some chains as well, realize what is happening (can we hope?) there will be a tidal shift in their buying habits. I have been doing my little part, to the benefit of Hoya and others.
    Switching lens brands and suppliers is not hard to do.
    The navel gazers at the boards of O's in Quebec are busy fighting each other (!!) in a surreal battle while E, L and Nikon stand on the sidelines barely concealing their laughter at the naivete and shear stupidity of these "professionals". What a joke.
    So many independents here are passive and whistling past the graveyard while all this is going on. I've taken a stand, a marketing approach, and have never been busier.
    These moves by E and L have emboldened me to go even further into uncharted waters here....I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
    +1 glad to hear!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper E already has quite a free hand in Quebec ........................................

That can very well happen................... but E is banking on it that it will not, or that it makes no difference to them if it does.

If it does, they will gain from the new aquisition of CC to replace the losses, and increase their sales with heavy advertising. Do not forget that everything they do is planned carefully well ahead.

Occupation
    That can very well happen................... but E is banking on it that it will not, or that it makes no difference to them if it does.

If it does, they will gain from the new aquisition of CC to replace the losses, and increase their sales with heavy advertising. Do not forget that everything they do is planned carefully well ahead.
    A 10% loss in ECP revenue for them would be marvelous.

Thread Information