Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ClearlyContacts being bought for $445M by Essilor.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    They for sure will not resell or close Coastal in Vancouver where they just introduced automatic refraction stations in their Robson St store. They will now wait and see how this free for all situation develops in BC before starting it in Ontario and other places.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I remember correctly it was the governing BC Liberal party that ammended the laws to allow internet dispensing that now effects all of North America and other countries. Guess who was one of their political donaters? Is Essilor going to do the same? Perhaps if we want change, pressure should placed on the province to reverse this decision to the benifit of us all.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    They for sure will not resell or close Coastal in Vancouver where they just introduced automatic refraction stations in their Robson St store. They will now wait and see how this free for all situation develops in BC before starting it in Ontario and other places.
    Chris- how do you know they plan to keep this store open? Are you saying you believe Essilor was not telling the truth when Howard Purcell declared Essilor is divesting of the Coastal retail stores (he said this to OD wire or Gary Gerber...I can't remember which). Here is a cut and past (in bold) from Vision Monday. "Carrier" is "John Carrier", President of Essilor America:

[One major strategic change Essilor does plan to make is to immediately halt the international expansion of Coastal’s brick-and-mortar stores, an initiative that the company began last year. According to Carrier, Coastal operates two stores in Vancouver, one in Toronto, one in New Zealand, one in Australia and a handful in Sweden.

“Coastal had a large plan for retail expansion in multiple countries,” said Carrier. “Today, we’re making the decision to stop this expansion. Our intention is to look for a divestiture of those stores.” ]- See more at: http://www.visionmonday.com/latest-n....C9lQBpQe.dpuf

How do you reconcile the quote above with expanding this store by adding an auto-refractor?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    And here is another one. Essilor said they were immediately ending the free pair of glasses promotion. As of today, this has not happened: http://www.coastal.com/firstpairfree

Hmmmm.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE

How do you reconcile the quote above with expanding this store by adding an auto-refractor?
    [/QUOTE]

http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/theloo...-robson-store/

Don't judge E with their sweet words .. but by their actions or inactions ...

Occupation

Redhot Jumper expanding this store by adding an auto-refractor? .................................

Quote Originally Posted by oculus

Stan ..........I have known them before 1963 when I made a feasibility study for them to enter the market on this Continent. So I have followed the developments out of a personel interest ever since.

We are now one month into full ownership of Coastal and the free glasses are still heavily advertised at the old rate. The goal of a large corporation is to make make big money by dominating their market without regards to anybody.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Stan ..........I have known them before 1963 when I made a feasibility study for them to enter the market on this Continent. So I have followed the developments out of a personel interest ever since.

We are now one month into full ownership of Coastal and the free glasses are still heavily advertised at the old rate. The goal of a large corporation is to make make big money by dominating their market without regards to anybody.
    Exactly. Why would they give a grass tootsie roll for anybody else's concern? Especially ECP's!? Never have, never will.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Can someone tell me what is the idea behind myopticalonline.com in the USA ? I read Independant ECPs can, with the help of E, sell eyeglasses on line. Is there a catch here?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think it will unfortunately be a great move for E. I just asked many ODs lately about their feelings about this takeover; 90% are answering: "what can we do about it". If 30% of all independant eyecare providers dealing with E in Canada would switch right away to Hoya, I can tell you Essilor would push the panic button. But it will not happen IMO...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by djal View Post

If 30% of all independant eyecare providers dealing with E in Canada would switch right away to Hoya, I can tell you Essilor would push the panic button. But it will not happen IMO...

Essilor was born without a panic button and would not know how to use one..................................

They have made their bolt moves in the USA and Canada and just about own the optical world this way. This continent was the easiest training ground for them

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Government of Canada navigation bar

Competition Bureau

Breadcrumb trail

1. Home
    2. Resources
    3. Media Centre
    4. Position Statements

Competition Bureau Statement Regarding the Acquisition by Essilor of Coastal Contacts

OTTAWA, April 25, 2014 — This statement summarizes the approach taken by the Competition Bureau in its review of the proposed acquisition by Essilor International S.A. (Essilor) of Coastal Contacts Inc. (CCI), pursuant to an agreement announced on February 26, 2014. Both companies operate in the vision care sector.
    On April 25, 2014, the Bureau issued a No Action Letter (NAL) to Essilor stating that the Commissioner of Competition does not, at this time, intend to make an application under section 92 of the Competition Act (Act) in respect of the transaction.1 Section 97 of the Act provides for a one-year period following completion of the transaction during which the Commissioner may challenge the transaction before the Competition Tribunal.
    The focus of the Bureau’s review was on the vertical relationship between Essilor as an upstream supplier of prescription lenses and CCI as a downstream retailer of prescription eyeglasses. Consistent with the approach to vertical mergers outlined in the Bureau’s Merger Enforcement Guidelines, the Bureau assessed both Essilor’s ability and incentive to totally or partially foreclose the supply of prescription lenses to downstream retailers, and whether any such foreclosure would result in a substantial lessening or prevention of competition for the retail sale of prescription eyeglasses.
    The Bureau has concluded that the proposed transaction is unlikely to result in a substantial lessening or prevention of competition due to, among other things, the presence of vertically-integrated retailers who are able to self-supply and effectively compete against the merged entity.
    Background

Essilor is the largest prescription lens supplier in the world and is vertically-integrated across several points along the supply chain, including the manufacture of semi-finished stock lenses and the coding and licensing of design software used to direct the physical cutting or grinding of specific prescriptions into stock lenses to create finished prescription lenses. Essilor owns several prescription labs in Canada from which it supplies finished prescription lenses to retailers located across the country.
    CCI is a Vancouver-based retailer of prescription eyeglasses and contact lenses. Although most of CCI’s revenues are generated through online sales, the company also has two retail stores in Vancouver and one in Toronto.
    Considering that CCI currently represents a small portion of Essilor’s upstream revenues and a comparably small portion of the retail sale of prescription eyeglasses in Canada, the Bureau determined that Essilor likely does not have an incentive to engage in total foreclosure. Therefore, the focus of the Bureau’s review was on partial foreclosure.
    Based on information sourced from industry stakeholders, the Bureau concluded that Essilor accounts for a significant share of the prescription lenses supplied to retailers in Canada and likely has the ability to raise rivals’ costs. The Bureau therefore assessed Essilor’s incentive to raise wholesale prices to its customers, including both:

• multi-store retailers and
    • independent retail locations typically owned by optometrists or ophthalmologists.

The Bureau concluded that multi-store retailers currently supplied by Essilor could, in the event of a wholesale price increase, vertically integrate upwards and acquire their own prescription lab. Many such retailers in Canada have already pursued this option, made easier recently by the commoditization of semi-finished stock lenses and the ability to license design software from companies other than Essilor. The viable threat of vertical integration likely functions to deter Essilor from pursuing a raising rivals’ costs strategy with respect to multi-store retailers.
    Similarly, the Bureau identified the presence of already vertically-integrated downstream retailers currently in competition with CCI and poised to capture a significant share of diverted sales in the event Essilor raises prices to independent optometrists or ophthalmologists. The presence of these retailers would likely serve to deter Essilor from pursuing such a strategy and, even in the event of a wholesale price increase, serve to ensure that downstream consumers do not face a material price increase. Based on information obtained in the course of its review, and as noted above, the Bureau found that such vertically-integrated retailers have access to design software other than Essilor designs and the ability to self-supply prescription lenses, with the result that they will remain effective competitors to the merged entity.
    Conclusion

Although Essilor currently accounts for a significant share of the prescription lenses supplied to retailers in Canada, the Bureau concluded that the transaction will not create an incentive for Essilor to foreclose downstream rivals and that it is not likely to result in a substantial lessening or prevention of competition in any relevant market due to the presence of effective remaining competition.
    The Competition Bureau, as an independent law enforcement agency, ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace.
    This publication is not a legal document. The Bureau's findings, as reflected in this Position Statement, are not findings of fact or law that have been tested before a tribunal or court. Further, the contents of this Position Statement do not indicate findings of unlawful conduct by any party.
    However, in an effort to further enhance its communication and transparency with stakeholders, the Bureau may publicly communicate the results of certain examinations, inquiries and merger reviews by way of a Position Statement. A Position Statement briefly describes the Bureau's analysis of a particular merger or business practice and summarizes its main findings to provide transparency to interested stakeholders and the public. Readers should exercise caution in interpreting the Bureau's assessment. Enforcement decisions are made on a case-by-case basis and the conclusions discussed in the Position Statement are specific to the present matter and are not binding on the Commissioner of Competition.

For media enquiries, please contact:
    Media Relations
    Telephone: 819-994-5945
    Email: media@cb-bc.gc.ca
    For general enquiries, please contact:
    Information Centre
    Competition Bureau
    Telephone: 819-997-4282
    Toll free: 1-800-348-5358
    TTY (hearing impaired): 1-800-642-3844
    www.competitionbureau.gc.ca
    Enquiries/Complaints
    Stay connected
    Footnote

1 Analytical methodologies are applied, and enforcement decisions are made, on a case-by-case basis. The methodologies and conclusions discussed in this statement are specific to the review of the transaction in question and are not binding on the Commissioner. The legal requirements of section 29 of the Competition Act, and the Bureau’s policies and practices regarding the treatment of confidential information, limit the Bureau’s ability to disclose information obtained during the course of a merger review. (back to footnote reference 1)

Date modified:2014-04-25

Menu

Secondary menu

Site menu

By Topic

Ensuring Truth in Advertising

Investigating Cartels

Preventing Abuse of Market Power

Reviewing Mergers

Advocacy

By Topic — Main page

Legal Actions and Opinions

Our Approach

Court Decisions

Alternative Case Resolutions

Discontinued Cases

Written Opinions

Penalties Imposed by the Courts

Glossary

Legal Actions and Opinions — Main page

Publications

Corporate Documents

Technical Guidance Documents

Tools for Consumers and Businesses

Archived Publications

A to Z Publications

Publications — Main page

Resources

Corporate Compliance

Fraud Prevention

Media Centre

Public Consultations

Resources — Main page

Tools

CA Identification Number

Online Forms

Labelling Corner

Multi-Media Tools

Tools — Main page

Help

A to Z Index

Site Map

FAQs

Help — Main page

Search

Search website

Settings

Languages

About

Competition Bureau

Occupation
    Everything is normal & legal ....................and there is no competition..................and nothing to worry.......................... and nobody is competing...........just continue as before

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    They're removing all shipping and handling charges for glasses. That sounds just a tad desperate to me.

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/clearl...ses-2014-06-20

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    They're removing all shipping and handling charges for glasses. That sounds just a tad desperate to me.

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/clearl...ses-2014-06-20
    Do you work for FOX news?

I also notice the first pair free is gone!

I see this as a positive move towards increasing the value of eyewear. Every on line retailer has free shipping-it's a given!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    Do you work for FOX news?

I also notice the first pair free is gone!

I see this as a positive move towards increasing the value of eyewear. Every on line retailer has free shipping-it's a given!

I agree, not giving stuff away for free is increasing the value of eyewear. Every onliner has free shipping?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I already stopped ordering from Essilor.....I dont want to feed my competitors....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=mtoudehfallah;495144]I already stopped ordering from Essilor.....I dont want to feed my competitors....[/Q

I agree

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoudehfallah View Post
    I already stopped ordering from Essilor.....I dont want to feed my competitors....
    Glad to hear that. I've been several months now off of ordering E products and have not missed a beat. Virtually no one asks for their product by name, and even if they do we easily explain there are many other options that are as good or better, often at a lower price. No one has walked because we offer alternatives. They lost me as a client and it has been to my benefit. Strangely I am glad they bought CC for that reason.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL . Look at the pre sale shareholders.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    LOL . Look at the pre sale shareholders.
    Roger Hardy is now actively on LinkedIn promoting his capital investment company leveraging (bragging) about his sale of Coastal to Essilor. I'm sure his plan from the very beginning 14 years ago was to build at all costs, never make a dime, but gather vast amounts of market share. To that theory, mission accomplished.

I'm curious whether his current 'shoeme' venture and any future venture for that matter will garner the same level of success as Coastal...I highly doubt it, although there are suckers with capital to invest born every minute.

It's rather humorous to me that although they never made a nickel in profit, Essilor would shell out a whopping $445M for simply volume market share and no profitability. Wonder if they can successfully spin it into a profitable stage while retaining their ECP client base?
    Last edited by HindSight2020; 10-21-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    Glad to hear that. I've been several months now off of ordering E products and have not missed a beat. Virtually no one asks for their product by name, and even if they do we easily explain there are many other options that are as good or better, often at a lower price. No one has walked because we offer alternatives. They lost me as a client and it has been to my benefit. Strangely I am glad they bought CC for that reason.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper cost's more to manufacture a cheap cigarette lighter ................................

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post

It's rather humorous to me that although they never made a nickel in profit, Essilor would shell out a whopping $445M for simply volume market share and no profitability. Wonder if they can successfully spin it into a profitable stage while retaining their ECP client base?

.......................did you know that it cost's more to manufacture a cheap cigarette lighter in plastic than to mold/make a progressive lens ? Molding CR39 lenses are way more costly to make than Poly which mold on a rack with 4 or 6 lenses at a time in seconds.

There also frames that are molded.

They are still making plenty of money at CC. E at the source and CC at the end in good quantities are still many $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$
    for them.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticians and optometrist supported Essilor to get big and strong.....but Essilor is our competitor(unfortunately unfair one) now and it is the time to stop supporting Essilor ......Please be smart and stop feeding your competitor.....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So it is a year since Essilor bought Clearly Contacts. Essilor assured us they would be different. Anyone see any difference and why is anyone still using Essilor for any of their work?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    So it is a year since Essilor bought Clearly Contacts. Essilor assured us they would be different. Anyone see any difference and why is anyone still using Essilor for any of their work?
    We don't use Essilor. We don't use any registered frame brands that are available on CC. Since the takeover the only thing I've noticed is that they've halted the free frame promotions and have cut back significantly on social media marketing. They look like they're just spinning their wheels at this point. It's hard to remain relevant online.

Thread Information