Thread: Open Association

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Open Association

Apparently as of April 15, 2014 the restrictions on optometrists working with opticians is being lifted!
    I never thought I would see this while still working.
    No more separate entrances.
    This only took about 15 years to come about.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Apparently as of April 15, 2014 the restrictions on optometrists working with opticians is being lifted!
    I never thought I would see this while still working.
    No more separate entrances.
    This only took about 15 years to come about.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    It's a perfect marriage allowing the best of both professions to join forces and enhance their service offering to patients. It couldn't come at a better time as this will allow independents to thrive again while being better suited to weather the storm.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post

It couldn't come at a better time as this will allow independents to thrive again while being better suited to weather the storm.

Let's hope so.............the the storm has already started.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it IRIS we should thank for this ? Optometry didn't do this on their own.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    This sounds like good news but I don't know what restrictions you are referring to. Is this a Canadian thing? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Is it IRIS we should thank for this ? Optometry didn't do this on their own.
    I had a conversation at a Khan Seminar last year with the woman who used to be our registrar who is now a lawyer. Forgive me but I do not recall her name. She told me that the College of Optometry kept wanting to meet with the government representative about this issue. It got to the point that when the College of Optometry phoned and asked to meet, the government rep said that she would meet as long as full freedom of association was part of their proposal. She didn't want to and didn't meet with them until they satisfied her minimum requirement. I guess it had gone on way too long for her and she had lost patience. I believe the government told the College of Optometry many years ago to change their statute.
    Now we will be able to have a business model that puts the customer first and is legal.
    Iris certainly helped the situation but there was nothing on the books to make their business model legal until April 15th.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwmack View Post
    This sounds like good news but I don't know what restrictions you are referring to. Is this a Canadian thing? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    Yes this is an Ontario thing. The College of Optometrists have until now restricted their members of going into business with or working for a liscenced optician. Seems that they thought we are the devil and we would put all kinds of pressure on the OD's to over-prescribe when in association with opticians which is a bunch of bunk. Until now you could have a side-by-side with an optical on one and an OD on the other with separate entrances only.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a conversation at a Khan Seminar last year with the woman who used to be our registrar who is now a lawyer. Forgive me but I do not recall her name. She told me that the College of Optometry kept wanting to meet with the government representative about this issue. It got to the point that when the College of Optometry phoned and asked to meet, the government rep said that she would meet as long as full freedom of association was part of their proposal. She didn't want to and didn't meet with them until they satisfied her minimum requirement. I guess it had gone on way too long for her and she had lost patience. I believe the government told the College of Optometry many years ago to change their statute.
    Now we will be able to have a business model that puts the customer first and is legal.
    Iris certainly helped the situation but there was nothing on the books to make their business model legal until April 15th.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Costco Wholesale won a Charters of Rights of Freedom and Association ruling around 1998. The judge was very clear about these violations. Iris proceeded on the same tact in 2007 in Ontario. College of Optometry in a nut shell gave up their challenge as no contest. Still it took another 7 years for what should have taken an afternoon to rewrite.

The Government did not act out of any sense of righteousness. They like the College, acted from a judges ruling.

My congratulations go to Costco and Iris !
    Last edited by idispense; 02-21-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I posted is 100% true because I was relaying a personal experience.
    I knew idispense would find something wrong with it.
    He always does.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I posted is 100% true because I was relaying a personal experience.
    I knew idispense would find something wrong with it.
    He always does.
    Let me apologize Golfnorth, I was not referring to your conversation's veracity. I 100 per cent believe you. I apologize for poor wording.

I was referring to the righteousness of the motivation to insist on judges directions. It is great that the overseer developed this backbone & sense of righteousness after a judge declared a violation of The Charter. My point is that it took Costco Wholesale, Iris and a judge to accomplish the task and provide direction and motivation. I would have thought that The Minister could have simply ordered the right thing to be done and accomplished the thing in 90 days start to finish.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [QUOTE=Golfnorth;479597]I had a conversation at a Khan Seminar last year with the woman who used to be our registrar who is now a lawyer. Forgive me but I do not recall her name. She told me that the College of Optometry kept wanting to meet with the government representative about this issue. It got to the point that when the College of Optometry phoned and asked to meet, the government rep said that she would meet as long as full freedom of association was part of their proposal. She didn't want to and didn't meet with them until they satisfied her minimum requirement. I guess it had gone on way too long for her and she had lost patience. I believe the government told the College of Optometry many years ago to change their statute.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

are you talking about cathy or abena?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=norman kane;479740]

Regards,
    Golfnorth

are you talking about cathy or abena?
    Cathy M. yes that's who I was speaking with at that time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is the link that was just released.

NEW REGULATION FOR ONTARIO OPTOMETRISTS

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Thread Information