Thread: ABO expiration

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what the "grace period" is for renewing ABO cert. after it's expired? Or IS there a grace period?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The ABO can tell you for sure, but I think you have 3 years between renewals during which time you must aquire X number of CEC's.

Check with the E.Mail slot on the ABO web page.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

The grace period used to be one year. You had to pay your renewal fee and you were allowed one year to complete your continuing education requirements.
    Call them at 800-296-1379.

Jerry

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hi Andrea, Oh no please tell me you did NOT let your Abo expire. I hope you still have time. I would hate to see you have to take it over again.

Steph

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

Here goes. From The ABO/NCLE Book of Answers:

Recertification, the Details

DEFINED
    ABO and NCLE certifications are for three years and always expire on December 31 of your designated expiration year. CECs must be fulfilled and sent in to the ABO/NCLE office by 12/31 of your expiration year.

SUSENSION
    If you do not complete your CEC requirements or fail to send them in with your renewal fees by 12/31, your certification will be automatically suspended for up to one additional year. During this suspension year, you are not officially certified, but you may finish your CEC requirements and pay your fees without losing your certification.

This suspension year is not an extension of the previous period, but will overlap into your next certification period.

LATE FEES
    In addition to your regular renewal fees, any tme you extend into your suspension year, reagardless of the reason, the late fee of $15 per certification will also be due.

I think if you translate this into plain English it means you have a grace period of one year. You lose your certification during your suspension time but you don't have to take the ABO over again. Are you short credits? Maybe if Optiboarders brainstorm we can come up with some ideas to help you meet the December deadline. I know here in CT next Sunday is what we call Super Sunday. Our local school up in Middlesex, which runs an acredited opticianry program, offers a full day of approved courses open to all COA members. Hope my babbling helped answer your question.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 10-11-2000).]

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have on occasion noticed that as of Dec.15 on my expiration year I was quite a few credits light. I contacted the OAA and was sent (for a small fee) faxes of articles to read and then take test from, which I faxed in on Dec. 30. they were graded and accredited. Seems I flunked one or two and I took more courses/credits Dec.31 and made it in by the deadline. So what's the big hassle?

Did the same thing with the CLSA for NCLE credits.

Chip (Everything works if you stay laid back) Anderson

[This message has been edited by chip anderson (edited 10-12-2000).]

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Chip:
    That worked out for you just in time. I registered a car that way once. It initially failed a safety inspection at around 6:00. I managed to get the breaks tightened, hit up the local auto supply place and Bondo a few rust spots. On the way back to the inspection station it started to rain; just as I was pulling into the inspection area the Bondo literally started to drip off the car. It managed to pass at 7:10. I made it across town just in time to get into the DMV before it closed at 7:30. Mission accomplished. It actually ended up being a fun challenge.

Too bad in CT CECs for Licensure aren't that easy. Ours have to be face to face with approved instructors; although, you can still get ABO and NCLE re-certification CECs online or through the mail.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up

Thanks soooo much guys for all the info...UH yep Steph I (apparently) ALMOST let it really expire :(...If I understand right I hafta get off my tail, send in my stuff and pay a late fee and I get a nice lil sticker for my cert, so I will be current w/out taking that horrid test again.
    I really need to work on this nasty procrastination habit of mine!! Maybe tomorrow...

Thread Information