Thread: Blue line above distance object?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue line above distance object?

Had a pt come in with recently purchased glasses. Poly trans pal OD +.75 -.25 x054/ OS +1.25 -0.25 x141 2.50 add. Old lenses were psr trans pal OD +0.75 -0.50 x059 OS +0.75 -0.25 x136 2.50 add. prism at fitting cross was 2 BD in new and .75 BD in old. I initially was thinking material or prism or even polished edges? I was looking at a hill covered in snow through her lenses and could see a distinct blue line right at top of the hill with new and not in the old. Did not really notice looking anywhere else? I think the white snow line just made it more noticeable. Just curious if anyone with similar issues?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had peple have thisblue issue. Mine saw it below letters and cars at night. I ended up switctching material. Mine was in hi-index.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    OH NO THE DREADED ABBE DEBATE. You could have them made over and have the amount of prism thinning reduced. To be safe I would have them made in a different material and reduce the prism thinning. Don't take me wrong I sell a lot of poly, and like poly in most situations, but poly is not for everyone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And this is why I don't use polycarbonate.

It's awful - I only ever get complaints about them. 'there's funny colours' 'why are there rainbows around everything' 'my rimless specs have fallen apart'.

Change the material, and then avoid it. Can I ask if there was a good reason for poly to be used in the first place?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Switch material.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Grooved rimless frame is why it was used. We have VERY FEW poly non adapts. Usually poly issues are in the periphery, this one was straight ahead? I really felt prism was more to blame but am remaking to psr just to be safe! :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    Grooved rimless frame is why it was used. We have VERY FEW poly non adapts. Usually poly issues are in the periphery, this one was straight ahead? I really felt prism was more to blame but am remaking to psr just to be safe! :)
    Yeah, I'm sorry, I was in a REALLY bad mood when I wrote my previous post. I just don't like poly (if that wasn't obvious). The prism probably wouldn't help either. Hope the remake works!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck:478847
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry, I was in a REALLY bad mood when I wrote my previous post. I just don't like poly (if that wasn't obvious). The prism probably wouldn't help either. Hope the remake works!
    No offense taken :) I know alot of dispensers out there despise poly! I personally feel it is comparable to hi index in optics just cheaper.. I do appreciate your input though. I am thankful to have this resource to bounce ideas off of for sure! :)

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Most likely poly chromatic aberration. Prism shouldn't be the issue. It could arise from a polished edge maybe, a birefringence of poly. Its strange that its from images when looked at a flat angle, maybe the frame has a lot of panto? Usually the chromatic aberration is caused from light rays off the optical axis. Try adjusting the panto to see if it helps. And remake in trivex.

Thread Information