Thread: Special Orders

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Special Orders

How do you handle requests for special orders for a patient who wants to see a frame in another color or size? We have always been ok with ordering in a frame, or maybe even two, for them to try. They came back fairly quickly once the frame arrived and almost always purchased it. If they chose not to buy we usually added it to the board and it would sell eventually.

Now that patients seem to be shopping around a bit more, and are able to look up alternative colors online, we are getting more requests from what are becoming casual browsers rather than interested buyers. We have special orders languishing in the drawer for longer amounts of time while we are stuck with the bill. We select our stock carefully and now we are starting to get some odd pieces taking up space from this issue.

In the past we placed these special orders for no charge as a courtesy. Is it reasonable to charge a deposit for these orders? I was thinking that if the patient then purchased that frame we could credit that amount towards the purchase. If the frame sits for 30 days or more, they lose the deposit. I would love some feedback.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Blunder Woman,

If i can return the frame and get a full refund then i don`t have a problem with it. If i can`t get a refund then the customer actually has to buy the frame, i tell in advance. Especially when it`s a hideous one.(frame that is)

Dirk

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they are new to our clinic and the frame is outside of our comfort zone I charge them 20.00, if they purchase the frame from us I apply the 20.00 toward the purchase. However, if they are a good patient or if I believe that I won't have a problem selling the frame, I will bring it in at no charge. I am unaware of any company that will give a full refund as someone has to pay for shipping to the business and back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When we run across this we usually will order up to three frames for someone if it is something we can put on the board and sell. If it is not something we would normally carry, we have them buy the frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes even if you can return the frame you've still paid shipping both ways and put staff effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    if they are a good patient or if I believe that I won't have a problem selling the frame, I will bring it in at no charge

Totally. I'll do everything for my good patients. For new patients I will bring in one frame complimentary WITH PURCHASE (i.e. they purchase eyewear, I order in the frame, and they can make final choice before I edge or send to the lab). If they want more than one there is a 20% restocking fee for the additional frames they reject.

If they are new (or established but flaky), I usually simply say no. If they pressed perhaps I would be willing in exchange for shipping costs plus a few bucks for effort, which of course I would apply toward purchase for whatever frames they buy.

As soon as they have to commit cash, they showroomers will bolt.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The private practice I worked for had no problem special ordering frames for "our patients" in that sometimes there were special needs ala very petite women, large headed men, high minus Rx, so we would order two or three suitable frames for them to try and then return the ones not wanted. If someone came in off the street and asked us to order a specific frame that they had seen online for example we would do so but it was a final sale. They paid up front and assumed responsibility for fit.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they are new to our clinic and the frame is outside of our comfort zone I charge them 20.00, if they purchase the frame from us I apply the 20.00 toward the purchase. However, if they are a good patient or if I believe that I won't have a problem selling the frame, I will bring it in at no charge. I am unaware of any company that will give a full refund as someone has to pay for shipping to the business and back.
    That is a great idea to make sure you have a serious buyer and not someone who is using you to make an on-line purchase.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do not order very often and if we do it is a $50 deposit that can be applied to any frame if they choose not to buy it. Never have an issue and we only do it a few times per year as most of the time we want that frame back in that color anyway.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they're a good patient and have a relationship with us, we do it as a courtesy. If they have an obvious reason, and it doesn't seem like they're using us for internet purchasing, we usually don't have a problem with it. If we don't know them, we tell them if they don't buy the frame they have to pay a 10% "restocking fee", ala shipping + hassle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup, this is about our speed too, but I rarely waive the fee even for a longtime patient. Some of our longtime patients are still PITAs who like to waste time, energy, and money- usually the stay-at-home mommies looking to kill time before cocktail hour with the girls.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information