Thread: Sunset Law. Setting the sun on our licences and carreers.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sunset Law. Setting the sun on our licenses and carreers.

As of January 1st Connecticut will be at the mercy of the Sunset law. I know that some states have already been effected (Florida) and I am very concerned about the future of Opticianry in Connecticut. Will I be out of a job? Will all my schooling and hard work have gone to waste? Will they really take away my licence?
    My company is having a meeting on November 11th concerning the Sunset law. I was wondering if anyone here has been effected directly and what was done within your company.
    If licensing is revoked then all Opticians will basically be let go and rehired at a much lower rate. I am so distressed that I am considering thinking about a new carreer.
    Last edited by HarryC; 10-18-2002 at 09:55 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are an unlicensed state, we doin just fine. The independents are disappearing but pay is O.K. while they last the non-independents never did pay well except on commission sales.

Chip

Be of good heart, if you are skilled you know what you are worth and you can get it. If not, you will get what you should have been getting. There is always a good market for the best.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HarryC,

Try contacting the Connecticut Optician's Association with any concerns and questions you have about the Sunset Laws. They are in Hartford anytime bills affecting Opticianry are being discussed. You can find contact information on their website: Beyond asking them questions, are you a member of the state association? The reason Florida held onto its licensure status is largely due to support from their state association and the OAA.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good Luck

HarryC
    It is a shame that you and thousands of others will face similar concerns in the next few years. My state of NC made it through Sunset Review some time back, and came out OK. All is not lost, but take the advise of others, work with your professional organization to hold back the tide.
    These kinds of things would be easier to justify if we could prove our value more expeditiously. In your state you practice at a high level...contact lenses, low vision, etc. But some states who hold licenses may be in trouble. No educational requirement, no contact lenses, only spectacle dispensing, which will make it difficult to justify the continuation of licensure. It is not designed to inflate salaries, but to protect the public. Opticians need to support the forward movement of the profession regarding education and training, and those who don't will eventually cost us all! In Connecticut, I know you'll be OK. Skip and Ray, Russ, and all leadership, no matter how much water has passed under the inter-professional bridge, will come together to fight the loss of license. There are others willing to help as well. I wish you luck my friend.

Warren

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Licensing Boards in CT are always at the mercy of Sunset legislation. The Summer issue of the On-Axis, the Connecticut Opticians Association newsletter, discussed Connecticut’s Sunset Law and the threat it poses to our licensing Board.

In its initial and purest form, sunset is a mechanism under which government entities and programs are periodically reviewed and automatically terminated unless continued by an affirmative vote of the legislature. Generally, a sunset law is a law that automatically terminates a state regulatory agency, board, or function of government on a certain date. A state legislature must act to continue the entity or function by passing a bill. Sunset laws cause legislatures to periodically review the need for state regulation or for advisory committees and to update the law creating the entity or function. These reviews seek to balance the need for regulation to protect the public interest with the need to ensure that state agencies, industry and the professions, and that functions of government are not over-regulated. However, as the sunset process evolved, the focus shifted away from termination toward a surgical approach where modification or elimination of selected regulations and practices were proposed as a condition of continuing the entity or program.

Connecticut’s Sunset Law is spelled out under Title 2c of the Connecticut General Statutes. It lists entities and programs to be terminated unless recreated by an act of the General Assembly. The law was passed in 1977 (P.A.77-614) as part of a major reorganization of state government.

Under the act, the Legislative Program Review and Investigations Committee is charged with conducting a review of each listed entities or programs in the year prior to its scheduled termination. The Committee then makes recommendations to the Government Administration and Elections (GAE) Committee of the General Assembly in the form of a bill. If the intent of GAE is to terminate an entity or program, no bill is required.

The last phase in determining the fate of an entity or program subject to a sunset review is governed by the requirements of the normal legislative process. An entity [ie: the Board of Examiners for Opticians] or program can only be reestablished if the General Assembly passes a bill, and it is signed by the governor, or the legislature overrides a veto issued by the governor. If the General Assembly fails to pass a reestablishment bill or override a veto, the entity or program is given a one-year wind down period to conclude its affairs before termination.

During its initial five year cycle, seventeen regulatory, licensing boards, and commissions were eliminated. Our own Commission of Opticians became the Board of Examiners for Opticians and significant administrative authority was transferred from the Commission of Opticians to the Department of Public Health.

There are twenty-one Boards or entities scheduled for termination effective July 1, 2003, which include: Connecticut State Board of Examiners for Nursing; State Board of Examiners for Optometrists; Board of Examiners for Opticians; and the Medical Examining Board. In addition, four Boards or entities are scheduled for terminations in July, 2004; ten in 2005; fifteen in 2006 and one last termination is scheduled for 2007.

If enacted, the Board of Examiners for Opticians will cease to exist. If enacted, your license to practice opticianry will cease to exist.

During the last twenty-three years, the Connecticut Opticians Association has been present at the State Capitol each time that Sunset Review legislation has been directed at opticians. No other optician organization in Connecticut has a presence at the State Capitol. We have had no national support. But we will be there again this year, supporting Connecticut opticians, no matter who are or where you practice.

As a Connecticut licensed professional, as an apprentice or as a student, be informed, be a part of the only effort that supports your profession, join the COA.

Skip Rivard
    Executive Director
    Connecticut Opticians Association

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a member of the COA and regularly attend their continuing education courses. I cannor understand how eliminating licenses could possibly be in the best public interest. Without the proper education anyone can walk off the street and make a pair of eyeglasses. Is that in the publics best interest?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Harry,

We (in FL.) made it through, but they went from one extreme to another in this state.. besides the ABO ($130) the NCLE ($130) we have the state opticians Lic. which is $800!!!
    Before they were slack with what they could do to you for any infraction now they have made the majority an actual felony offense!
    I know of one optician who was ABO certified and NCLE and has been in optics for 25 years but never got his FL.state Lic. and they nailed him.. got 30 days in JAIL.
    I know a lot of us who was up there fighting for this when it came up for review feel like we were stabbed in the back by the state board when they starting off by raising the exam price from $300 to $800.. and now if you have a store and you step out for lunch and one of your techs does even a frame adjustment if they caught you you just commited a felony.. of course we all know they can't be everywhere at once but this is going to the extreme in my opinion.. you figure a lot of these guys will be there next time it comes up? I kind of doubt it.
    If they have the review make sure you know who is being appointed to the board and what the new language will be... that can be just as painful as haveing it all revoked if the wrong bunch of people get in there..
    get in there and fight fight fight.. just make sure the ones you fight for do not pull some of the **** we had pulled on us..be ready for the chains to line up against you as well, need to start a grass roots movement now.. fax machine was pretty useful for us :-)

Jeff "went through it last year" Trail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question optometrists

Skip, you mentioned optometrists also, does that mean there would be no licenses for optometry?

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optometry as well

Skip, you mentioned optometrists also, does that mean there would be no licenses for optometry?

Harry,

All Boards licensed through the Connecticut Department of Health Services may undergo Sunset. If the Board of Examiners for Optometry could not justify their existance, there would no longer be a BOARD to license optomtry and essentially, no license. However, it is unlikely that optometry will be discontinued. Doctors of optometry hold advanced academic degrees. Optometrists are licensed in all 50 states!

Opticians are not. Past leadership meetings have failed to develop a uniform definition of an optician. Does an optician need an academic degree? Does an optician really need to be licensed? Read the many discussions on this optiboard regarding licensing for opticians.

Connecticut is very unique regarding its licensing laws. We were the first state to license opticians. We are not required to have a separate license to fit and dispense contact lenses. Along with eyewear, our license allows us to fit contact lenses and make judgmental decisions regarding their use and care. We evaluate their fit and refer anomalies to the proper eyecare practitioner. We can evaluate for low vision devices and make recommendations for their use. We have a 4 year apprenticeship of no more than 2,000 hrs per year. In lieu of apprenticeship, we accept a degree from an accredited optician school. Our licensing examinations are comprehensive and include a written and practical exam as well questions which require critical thinking skills.

With all that, we may still have difficulty trying to justify the need for a LICENSING board for opticians.

The Connecticut Opticians Association will monitor activities as they unfold at the Capitol and continue to watchdog the licensed rights of Connecticut opticians as licensed health care professionals.

I am curious about the meeting your company will be holding to discuss this issue. The COA Government affairs Committee is meeting again next week to continue its discussions regarding Sunset in Connecticut.

If you have any questions, give me a call on the COA line.

Skip Rivard
    Executive Director
    Connecticut Opticians Association

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Participation and Education are the keys!

The only salvation of opticianry as a profession will come through raising the standards of practice to require formal education as a prerequisit, and continuing education for maintainence. This, along with the participation required in the state and national organizations.

It is interesting to note that most opticians do not even belong to these groups and yet, when there's a problem, they are the first to look to these groups for assistance. OAA is on the ropes, mainly because it has not been supported by the very people it was designed to help. State societies suffer because of lack of individual support from those who benifit from its existance. State regulatory boards are not immune to this apathy either.

Of the 21 licensed states, only 11 made an appearance at the annual Nat'l Committee of State Regulatory board meeting in Atlanta last July. Connecticut has been conspicuous by its absense as have been a number of others.( I only single out CT because of this thread)

The above should not be considered a put down. It should be considered a blueprint. Its time to stop letting George do it, and shoulder some of the load ourselves. Join OAA-its only 65 bucks,which is not a lot considering you could be looking at the end of your career. (Harry C's words, not mine). Join your state society.Get some education, and make new friends from all over the state at the same time.

Rather than *****'in and moan'in about the sorry state of affairs, pitch in and do your share. Its time for us to pull up ourselves by taking hold of the bootstaps. Its doable if you start today!

the view from here today by harry j
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HarryC said:
    I am a member of the COA and regularly attend their continuing education courses. I cannor understand how eliminating licenses could possibly be in the best public interest. Without the proper education anyone can walk off the street and make a pair of eyeglasses. Is that in the publics best interest?
    It wouldn't be in the best public interest. I believe one of the arguments for deregulation is the fact that the Department of Health does not receive all that many complaints about Opticians. What they are missing is the fact that, just maybe, the reason they don't get that many complaints is because Opticainry is a Licensed profession.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps the OAA and our other organizations should be more responsive to our members needs and desires and not so much a good ole boys fraternity. Then it might get more support.

As for licenseing, it should be a method of upholding higher standards and training, it seems that most of us want it as a method of defacto unionizing.

Chip ( I can hardly wait to hear from this)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It can't be done from the outside....

Chip,

I think the good old boys found themselves running OAA into the ground, so I think everyone is on the same page regarding change in the status quo. I must admit it was very frustrating to go to Atlanta as a member and then not have a vote because I was not a firm member. I expect that will be one of the changes made in the "new" OAA. The point is, once that happens, if there are only firm owners still there, nothing will have changed. What is needed is for everyone to have a vote-one person-one vote. But you need members for that to make a difference and it can't be done from outside the Association. If you really want a change, you have to join!

best from hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hc: Have been a member most of the time since 1962. Still found it very unresponsive to member desires and objectives, CLSA has same problem. And yes I am a fellow member of CLSA.

In fact CLSA used to be excellent but the last few years has deteriorated to presenting just what the labs want to say. We used to get courses on how to modify, change, polish, etc.

Hope some day OAA will give same type courses on how to adjust, repair, fit etc. Hell we don't even get assembly instructions on the new hinges and mounts. When was the last time someone mentioned the different nose shapes and how to fit them?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chip anderson said:
    Hc: Have been a member most of the time since 1962. Still found it very unresponsive to member desires and objectives, CLSA has same problem. And yes I am a fellow member of CLSA.

In fact CLSA used to be excellent but the last few years has deteriorated to presenting just what the labs want to say. We used to get courses on how to modify, change, polish, etc.

Hope some day OAA will give same type courses on how to adjust, repair, fit etc. Hell we don't even get assembly instructions on the new hinges and mounts. When was the last time someone mentioned the different nose shapes and how to fit them?

Chip
    Chip,

Why don't you write some courses and submit them for approval?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information