Thread: Dispensing glasses

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Dispensing glasses

I had a disagreement with 1 optician in my shop the other day. Customer comes in and purchases progressives.she lives quite a distance away so asks if her friend can pick them up. The optician says yes thats fine she will just have to come back if they need adjusting.When the friend comes back to pick them up he simply puts them in a case and sets them on the counter for her to pick up. After she leaves I have the discussion with him about this and he replies Ï didnt dispense the glasses "they were in a case she took them " he says this is legal I say it isn't glasses must be dispensed to the person with the Rx. We generally leave the markings on the lenses to ensure they are sitting proper etc. then clean them up and fit properly to the patient none of this was done just cleans the markings off and let them go. I tried to explain this is condoning on-line purchases but it falls on deaf ears.Who's right?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are both right.
    Obviously if the person picks them up and gets them final-fitted and optimized that would be the better scenario. But she did get measured and fitted when the purchase was made....so it is quite a different situation from an on-line purchase....
    As you said, the client lives quite a distance away - this is her decision and the glasses could be pre-fitted as best as possible given that it was known she wasn't going to return to collect them....
    I call it a draw.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Which wall would you like to butt your head against first ?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's say that you measured the fitting height at 18mm but you wrote down 23. You wouldn't let that leave your shop, would you? The only way to know that you've haven't made a mistake, an error in judgement or typo, is to inspect the final product in situ.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Let's say that you measured the fitting height at 18mm but you wrote down 23. You wouldn't let that leave your shop, would you? The only way to know that you've haven't made a mistake, an error in judgement or typo, is to inspect the final product in situ.
    That is true. HOWEVER if your client prefers not having to return to collect the glasses for a valid reason - hopefully you are able to triple check everything and make sure you've covered all the bases. It seems reasonable that a professional optician and a consenting client who is asking for an accommodation can sort this out as per clients request. To be all caught up in a "potential this" or "potential that" and not make this accommodation, would be silly, imo. A reasonable decision by a licensed professional and an informed client - has to be greenlit.

For heaven's sake people are buying glasses on the web sight-unseen with no professional consultation and the ERs are not being filled with casualties because of this. Making things more convivial for clients has to be a priority.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    It seems reasonable that a professional optician and a consenting client who is asking for an accommodation can sort this out as per clients request.
    It is, and I've done it for clients with health issues. But for convenience only? I give that kind of work to someone else.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thats what makes a market! Its all good....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thats what makes a market! Its all good....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    TO this may I add that the final RX portion of the product needs to be checked from the original Dr's Rx, not from what is written on your order form, just in case a typo or transformation error started in what you wrote down. Always begin the process from the original Rx with no other paper work in front of you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Shouldn't this be done BEFORE the client is told to come and pickup the glasses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shouldn't this be done BEFORE the client is told to come and pickup the glasses?
    I would agree with you, but it depends on the authority you listen to. A previous BC Politician suggested that resulting problems would be symptomatic and the patient would seek professional consultation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A BC politician? Worried about symptoms and problems with dispensing eyeglasses? Really? Isn't that like Kim Jong Un claiming to be worried about his Nobel Peace Prize nomination?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A BC politician? Worried about symptoms and problems with dispensing eyeglasses? Really? Isn't that like Kim Jong Un claiming to be worried about his Nobel Peace Prize nomination?
    Yes the politician saw no risk of harm in deregulating ECPs in favor of internet dispensing based on the conclusion/assumption that those with symptoms would seek professional consultation in the presence of symptoms.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "Yes the politician saw no risk of harm in deregulating ECPs in favor of internet dispensing based on the conclusion/assumption that those with symptoms would seek professional consultation in the presence of symptoms."

Its funny, the thread started (I believe) about the concept of shipping completed glasses to a customer who preferred not returning to get them when ready. The client is seen by a professional, frame and lens selection made, measurements taken etc.. and everything pre-fitted as well as possible. Glasses shipped by courier. My point is this is so far ahead of a pure online experience and still involves a pro. It gets denigrated as unprofessional however in light of what is going on with online it is so important for us to make things as convenient as possible for our remaining customers!
    In Quebec they are TIGHTENING regulations for opticians and optometrists, resulting in INCREASED costs and hassles, while so many people are running online and spending all this money out-of-province and choking the local professionals who own shops. It is INSANE. Much of what the Quebec government does qualifies as insane, so I guess it is par for the course....

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The final adjustment at point of delivery is the last point of difference between an opticians and online sale................and if not done, pricing will be visibly the only one left.

Figure out longterm result by yourselves.........................................

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IMO the client that picks up the eyeglasses VS the client that they are mailed to, will both suffer in the long run. I dare someone to tell me that each and every client, they have fitted face to face, is better off than the one that the eyeglasses were pre-balanced and shipped. My reason for saying this, is that in both case there is a high likelyhood that neither client will return for regular adjustments and tune ups over the next 3 years. The only time you will most likely see that client, is if something breaks or that have a serious pain on their nose or ears. I would also bet that, in the general public, 80% of all glasses worn are mis-adjusted ( after being used for a certain time ) and the clients wear them very happily. Adjustment is important, but it is simialr to your personal apperance. Some people are more acutally aware, and take great pride in dressing sharp, looking presentable and being clean. Others look like they just left work in a factory, go to funerals and baptisms in T-shirts and never seem to care. How many of EPC are disgusted with even having to hold or work on some clients eyeglasses, because they are so filthy and cruddy. To use adjustments as the soul reason for having to see the client face to face is BS. As mentioned above the test pair I purchased online, were straight, confortable and very wearable , when they arrived. Probably in better condition than most eyeglasses worn by your clients after a year of use.
    Last edited by coupe; 02-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe peshi View Post
    I had a disagreement with 1 optician in my shop the other day. Customer comes in and purchases progressives.she lives quite a distance away so asks if her friend can pick them up. The optician says yes thats fine she will just have to come back if they need adjusting.When the friend comes back to pick them up he simply puts them in a case and sets them on the counter for her to pick up. After she leaves I have the discussion with him about this and he replies Ï didnt dispense the glasses "they were in a case she took them " he says this is legal I say it isn't glasses must be dispensed to the person with the Rx. We generally leave the markings on the lenses to ensure they are sitting proper etc. then clean them up and fit properly to the patient none of this was done just cleans the markings off and let them go. I tried to explain this is condoning on-line purchases but it falls on deaf ears.Who's right?
    PETTY,PETTY nit picking.

Thread Information