Thread: WalMart Optical??????

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

WalMart Optical??????

Anyone here ever work for Walmart. Not NVI. I have a possible job opportunity with them and was wondering what y'all thought. Now, I know there are pro's and con's to every work environment, but was just wanting to get a general idea. THX!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can get management, it's fair...at best. If it's just a 'ground level' associate...you're far better off at a private office in most cases. In either case, you're working for one of the worst companies on the planet as viewed by many. That bothers some people, others...not as much. Your call.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just interviewed a person today... mentioned that pay with several years exp was paying under 10 an hour...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    just interviewed a person today... mentioned that pay with several years exp was paying under 10 an hour...
    That's not necessarily all that different from some private offices, depending on what part of the country you're in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked as the manager of a Wal-Mart optical about 15 years ago, so my input might be slightly out-dated but here is what I found. Too many cooks in the kitchen. There is an optical manager who answers to optical district manager who answers to optical regional manager. Optical manager also answers to store area manager who answers to store assistant manager who answers to store manager who answers to store district manager who answers to store regional manager. All those managers have input in what you are doing, and what they think you should be doing. Biggest issue I had was that the way you operate the largest discount retailer in the USA, and the way you run a profitable optical are not the same. Management had a hard time putting value on a department that might make $7k on a good week, compared to electronics dept that might make $7k in one day.

That being said, most of the employees in the other opticals in the district all had the same problems, and there was a pretty amazing sense of community, and teamwork, and willingness to help each other out when we needed it.

As with any retail, you will always get customers that complain, and at Wal-Mart it was no different. After paying only $38 for a complete pair of glasses for their child, parents would often still complain why insurance didn't cover the rest, or why they had to pay extra for transitions, or why we never had any deals or coupons.

IF you can handle having a lot of eyes watching you, and your average crabby patient, and you are willing to move (Wal-Mart LOVES to relocate successful employees) you can actually make a decent career at Ole Wally-World.
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by vcom View Post
    I worked as the manager of a Wal-Mart optical about 15 years ago, so my input might be slightly out-dated but here is what I found. Too many cooks in the kitchen. There is an optical manager who answers to optical district manager who answers to optical regional manager. Optical manager also answers to store area manager who answers to store assistant manager who answers to store manager who answers to store district manager who answers to store regional manager. All those managers have input in what you are doing, and what they think you should be doing. Biggest issue I had was that the way you operate the largest discount retailer in the USA, and the way you run a profitable optical are not the same. Management had a hard time putting value on a department that might make $7k on a good week, compared to electronics dept that might make $7k in one day.

That being said, most of the employees in the other opticals in the district all had the same problems, and there was a pretty amazing sense of community, and teamwork, and willingness to help each other out when we needed it.

As with any retail, you will always get customers that complain, and at Wal-Mart it was no different. After paying only $38 for a complete pair of glasses for their child, parents would often still complain why insurance didn't cover the rest, or why they had to pay extra for transitions, or why we never had any deals or coupons.

IF you can handle having a lot of eyes watching you, and your average crabby patient, and you are willing to move (Wal-Mart LOVES to relocate successful employees) you can actually make a decent career at Ole Wally-World.
    I think this has changed. I know the manager here and she said that now the DM and RM oversee both the pharmacy and optical. The pharmacy gets 95% of the attention. I do agree though that if you can get into management it may be worth it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It all depends on whether you are in a "license" state.

A licensed optician in Walmart in a license state does better than regular management.

Non licensed, you are an employee that will often be pulled to man the registers.

Harry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I've worked for LC for 16 yrs. now, and I'm ready for something different. If I take the job with WalMart, I'll be put into the management program and eventually take over the location I'm looking at.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have a Sams Club in your area, I would suggest you apply there. Better pay in my opinion and environment. I enjoy working there and the interaction with patients. Apprentices start in this license state at $10 or so. A license makes approx. 5 more to start. Experience is considered and factored in.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    never mind...
    Last edited by optical24/7; 01-25-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Thread Information