Thread: Contact lens/ glasses combo

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs down Contact lens/ glasses combo

Dear Colleagues

I have a situation at which I could use some help/advise

I have a 28 yrs old female client who just had a baby, she's been wearing Toric contact lens for many years with the following Rx:
    OD= S-6.00/C-1.75x030
    OS= S-6.50/C-2.25x160

She came to me saying that she wanted glasses because of the convenience, so I performed an eye exam without her contacts and got
    OD= S-7.00/C-3.50x005
    OS= S-7.00/C-3.50x160

Now, for someone that has been on a stagnant Rx for so many years, my eye exam is just going out the window, let's face it, she'll be spinning in lala land.
    So i suggested for her to go to see an ophthalmologist and and she came back with the following Rx
    OD= S-6.50/C-3.00x180
    OS= S-6.50/C-3.00x180

So just to be safe I went on ahead dispensing the Rx for her pair of specs. And the end result is she still having her headache.

I measured her using my autoref and it came out
    OD= S-7.50/C-4.50x004
    OS= S-7.50/C-4.25x165
    I assumed the Doc's Rx is a bit in between mine and the autoref reading. Not sure why the Doc's RX isn't working properly

Any help please as of what to dispense and where can i re-start my measurement?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on the lenses...how long a day she wears them, so much more. Probably need to let the eyes rest a bit. I would probably do glasses at vertex'd power from cl including axis, let her wear them a couple of weeks and then re-refract her.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just one more thing on the axis...the orientation for the axis on the cl Rx may rotate based upon a lot of factors. The lid position and the relationship of the inner and outer canthus. A photo could help...only of her eyes please. We don't want any HIPAA violations.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optoanomaly View Post
    Dear Colleagues

I have a 28 yrs old female client who just had a baby, she's been wearing Toric contact lens for many years with the following Rx:
    OD= S-6.00/C-1.75x030
    OS= S-6.50/C-2.25x160

She came to me saying that she wanted glasses because of the convenience, so I performed an eye exam without her contacts and got
    OD= S-7.00/C-3.50x005
    OS= S-7.00/C-3.50x160

Now, for someone that has been on a stagnant Rx for so many years, my eye exam is just going out the window, let's face it, she'll be spinning in lala land.
    So i suggested for her to go to see an ophthalmologist and and she came back with the following Rx
    OD= S-6.50/C-3.00x180
    OS= S-6.50/C-3.00x180

So just to be safe I went on ahead dispensing the Rx for her pair of specs. And the end result is she still having her headache.

OD= S-7.50/C-4.50x004
    OS= S-7.50/C-4.25x165
    I assumed the Doc's Rx is a bit in between mine and the autoref reading. Not sure why the Doc's RX isn't working properly

If she has just given birth.........there are other reasons to have a headache...I would delay changes. Suggest that she cope with a compromise ophthalmic Rx and wait until infant is older.
    Eyes wide open

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Optoanomaly View Post
    Dear Colleagues

OD= S-6.00/C-1.75x030
    OS= S-6.50/C-2.25x160

OD= S-7.00/C-3.50x005
    OS= S-7.00/C-3.50x160

OD= S-6.50/C-3.00x180
    OS= S-6.50/C-3.00x180

OD= S-7.50/C-4.50x004
    OS= S-7.50/C-4.25x165

1. Agree with the concern about "just had" a baby. She needs at minimum 3 months post delivery to stabilize.
    2. Throw out the CL rx. You are assuming too much about it. Don't forget vertex power adjustments and also the axis of the cyl may be compensated for lens rotation.
    3. I would hedge my bet on the axis of 004 to 005 being correct for the OD and call the left eye 162-163. Autorefractors are not as accurate in high power range for sphere/cyl powers.
    4. Forget the ophthalmologist refraction axis of 180 in each eye. No way it is that in both. Sounds almost like a quick lens rack scope with quick axis estimation with no refinement done at all. That much cyl at axis 180, especially in the OS won't work.
    5. I would also trial frame your original findings, hold up some plus lenses before each eye, and also let the patient self adjust the axis if your really are that unsure...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell her to quit drinking diet sodas. It can cause headaches.

Thread Information