Thread: Can I hear from the OD's on this

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can I hear from the OD's on this

I work for one of the evil empires giant chain who shall remain nameless, today I was trouble shooting thirty year old single vision -1.00-1.25 ish Rx, having head aches and eye pain. Only change in Rx is .25 stronger in the cylinder, associate sold patient huge frame( much bigger than old, changed from cr39 to poly and BC flatter than old. Pd and OC match so I decide to go back to cr39 and 5 base and smaller frame but want Od to double check Rx just to be sure before I change the glasses. The Od comes over and screams at me in front of entire store full of people that I am waisting his time and don't ever send over an Rx ck for just a .25 change, told me I did not know what I was doing basically called me an idiot. Do you think it's unreasonable to ask the Od to double check Rx before I remake glasses? Was I wrong? Do I deserve to be yelled at like a moron for asking for his help? All opinions appreciated , even if you agree with him, I will be called to defend myself with store management, not sure if I should just put my tail between my legs and be apologetic or stand up for myself.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A good manager chastises in private and praises in public. Your OD probably didn't get any last night.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have to side with OD on this one. I learned only on to exhaust all troubleshooting measures before questioning the ODs Rx especially if it was only .25 diopter. How would you feel if you measured a 60 PD but I'm getting 61 can you please recheck your measurement.

As far as your patient, I would attribute headaches and eye strain to abberated lenses. Since an oversized frame was used the lenses were probably ground as opposed to using stock and an incorrect base curve was used. I would double check axis and verify it is close to RX.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had an OD like that in our practice for a little while, this same OD was famous for over plussing patients but still wanted to blame us for all of the patients issues. I feel like for .25 i would have remade them without having it double checked and trying to see if it was a material problem, but if the patient continued to have issues THEN had her see the doctor just to cover my butt and make sure i exhausted all of the things that "I" could have done wrong. At the same time, you were being thorough, and if the guy had enough time to come out and berate you in front of patients then he had enough time to quickly double check the RX and shouldn't be a giant jerk about it. there is NO reason for anyone to get treated that way at their job. At my bartending job i had a knock down drag out with one of my managers for speaking that way to me in front of guests, there is NO reason for that. it makes you, and the store, look awful and mismanaged. take it behind closed doors. I'm happy to take my licks if i deserve them, but not in a public setting its just inappropriate.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The O.D. was being an A**!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A typical evil empire giant chain store action. Optometrist was wrong in both aspects, calling out the optician and not advising the patient that a 0.25 change in his cylinder power was truly not a major change in his Rx and changing his Rx was not critical. The optician who sold the client the new eyeglasses should have advised the client that the change was minimal. At that point the client would know that his change of Rx was more for fashion than vision and could decide accordingly. And then the optician should have been more carefull in his optical choice and specifications. I would be curious to know what it costs for a 0.25 cyl change in that office. PS: Yes I know I will get some flack for my remarks about the cyl power change but how much extra vision vs cost did this client receive.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A 0.25D monocular sphere change usually spells trouble for me.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would trial frame the patient and if all is well, let them keep the larger frame but I would put them into a FFSV in CR-39

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The OD was right.

ODs are always right.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was just kidding.

Maybe the OD had a good technical point, but what a jerk off he was.

That dude is wound too tightly. He's going to have a stroke before July 4th.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give the offending MD wannabe a few bran muffins!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Fezz absolutely levels the karma of that guy...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe the Doc just got his remittance check from VSP......And it was a charge back!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Playing devil's advocate: Are you 100% sure the eye pain/headache is optically related? There is an outside chance that it may not be...

That being said, I personally would respect the opinion of any optician if they trial framed the rx for the patient first. Where I practice, 3 opticians approach it differently. One is lazy, and any problem is immediately referred back to the O.D. Nothing is more annoying if it is simply a seg height, base curve issue, etc. that should have easily been weeded out before I have to see the patient again from this particular individual...

To make a scene about it in front of everyone, though, is not acceptable.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    That being said, I personally would respect the opinion of any optician if they trial framed the rx for the patient first. Where I practice, 3 opticians approach it differently. One is lazy, and any problem is immediately referred back to the O.D. Nothing is more annoying if it is simply a seg height, base curve issue, etc. that should have easily been weeded out before I have to see the patient again from this particular individual...
    Why not change the policy to require 2 opticians to review eyeglasses, if no solution then upgrade to OD.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know whats awesome? Having the OD work for you......If ever screamed at, c ya! on another note. We have many patients who are sensitive to 0.25 changes. Yeah for all of us its not a big deal however treat it like one to the patient. I would pull that OD aside in private and blast em nicely. "like we know this person is special, help me fix the problem instead of scream about it" Maybe they have a viral infection causing their eyes to be achey and tired. Could have nothing to do with the RX.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If both of you work at the same place, you should cooperate. I thing that if you are going to remake the lenses, everything should be considered and rechecked. Or at least, the OD should be inform of the problem. This is his patient too.
    By the way, i am a retired optometrist there are no opticians here so i have done both jobs all my life. I no longer see patients and have more time to play on the Lab.
    The point is that the more you know what the optometrist do and the more the optometrist know what the optician do and how it is done, the better you could cooperate to solve problems. But most Optometrist this days think that knowing and doing opticians work when needed, is humiliating.
    Knowledge does not humiliate but ignorance do.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. switching to a larger frame most likely means you don't have the correct panto
    2. there is a correct base curve for every Rx
    3. simply borrow a trial lens to see if the additional cyl is the problem.
    4. check for abberations
    5. look for a job elsewhere

Thread Information