Thread: Point Of View Software for Optical Shop

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Lightbulb Point Of View Software for Optical Shop

Long time lurker, first time poster here!
    I have been researching software for my practice and am looking for some advice and maybe a nudge in the right direction. I have recently attained a position in which I have been granted the permission to modernize the optical section of an ophthalmologist's office. I have been doing my due diligence to find software that will manage all aspects of my business. The practice already utilizes an EMR system called "EyeMD". I understand they offer a software partnership with a company called "FlexDX". The company in question makes me nervous because I can find no demonstrations of the software, and no reviews from other opticians.
    I stumbled across what looks to be a "free" system, and was wondering if anyone here has any input on it. Freeware in a business setting also makes me a bit nervous. It's called "Point of View". You can Google it. I'm not sure on the links policy here. Any thoughts?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Optical Management from NextGen, all i can say is don't :) that and good old fashioned pen and paper are all i'm used to though!! there are some old threads on this subject if you search.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I've been digging deep through the archives haha. Looked at My Vision Express, and OfficeMate, among many others. All I need to do is keep an inventory, patient RX, receipts and ordering. No appointments, no doctors info, nothing else. Bare bones. Maybe I'm asking too little though!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Caullen Omdahl View Post
    I've been digging deep through the archives haha. Looked at My Vision Express, and OfficeMate, among many others. All I need to do is keep an inventory, patient RX, receipts and ordering. No appointments, no doctors info, nothing else. Bare bones. Maybe I'm asking too little though!
    Don't use office mate, I may have mentioned that in another post. In depth.....using colorful metaphors. check it out

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that's what you get for being reasonable!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Microsoft Office and a little talent will meet your needs without spending a pant load of money. If you do need technical assistance just about anyone can help you as Office is taught in just about every school in the world..

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It is extremely expensive in my opinion, but I have seen the demo for Uprise and it is very impressive. Right now I don't think the cost is worth it, but everything else pales in comparison.

I am a current user of My Vision Express, it works, but it's not ideal. All the integrations are add ons that require separate accounts - it is not smooth/seamless. I am no computer programmer, but am fairly computer literate, and I do not find My Vision Express to be intuitive. The customer service is way less than ideal, do a search and you'll see this is a common theme.

I'd suggest holding out, maybe in a year Uprise price will come down, or a new competitive product will arrive. Look for "true" cloud based, you want to be able to access from the web. Don't trouble yourself with servers, etc. Goodluck.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm looking for a new practice management software, too. I just purchased a small optical shop and they've been using Toris. *shudder* I don't need something with lots of bells and whistles, just simple patient records and inventory management.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm very pleased with Revolution EHR. We upgraded from OfficeMate in August.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information