Thread: Marketing, Patient Communication and Promotions/Special Deals

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Marketing, Patient Communication and Promotions/Special Deals

Doc says while we're increasing staff we're decreasing our revenue.

I've been working on getting E-Mails from patients when they come in for appointments and what not since Demandforce is integrated into Revolution, but it's a slow process as the office has only been electronic for about 6 months.

I suggested a Neighborhood Network deal to help bring in new patients in addition to Groupon to help bring in new patients (I even suggested it could help with existing ones who frequent Groupon regularly and make avid use of it), but doc's already tried stuff like that and he says that people use the coupon once and then generally don't return and that very few become long-term, established patients so those avenues of advertising aren't really worth it to him.

I know word of mouth is always a good thing when it comes to new patients and we definitely seem to have that, especially when it comes to CDW employees. Many of the new patients we've been getting since I've started 3 months ago have specifically mentioned being referred to us by established patients who, in many cases are their co-worker(s).

In terms of existing patients, I've suggested sending out postcards, but that could be a rather costly endeavor to undertake. Not to mention, how many would come back undelivered? Since many of our patients are going 2 or more years between seeing the doc, I'm sure many mailing addresses are no longer the right addresses. Calling's going to be the same way because I've already called a few numbers that were obsolete. And calling would be a time consuming thing as well. I'd probably have to resort to that outside of normal working hours like on days off (Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays).

They've tried raffles, like for a free pair of sunglasses, but feel they're just tossing away money for nothing. We're currently running a couple of in-office specials:

1. Buy a year's worth of contacts and get 20% of non-prescription sunglasses
    and
    2. 50% off a 2nd pair of frames or complete lenses for an existing frame

Patients acknowledge them in the office and have liked them on our Facebook page, but very few patients take advantage of special #2 due to the cost associated with one pair and no one has taken advantage of special #2 since I've been there.

That said, I'm open to ideas to bounce off doc or ways to improve what we're already doing or have done.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There is an up-and-coming communications program available called PatientMiner. They do BOTH postal and email for you (to save you the time of making your own postcards). I think if you are at least keeping track of patient addresses and visit dates in Revolution, they would help you send something out. From what I understand, they are reasonably priced for what they will do for you.

Here is their website if you want to check them out: www.patientminer.com

I hope this helps!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If your doc dismisses every idea you have to get people in the door, maybe he would just rather complain about revenue than do something about it. Must be frustrating for you. We change out any promotions like your 1 and 2 above at least every 6 weeks if not monthly. We use a local recall service that is able to log in to our system and phone people to remind them it is time for their appointments. This company calls people on the weekends and evenings when they a e home. At first it seemed a like an unnecessary expense but after three months using them we were steadily booked for exams three to four weeks out. Right now neither doc has an exam appointment available until the first week in March. This works for us, but the ideas you have might work for you. Postcards don't have to be expensive, look at vistaprint.com. Postage recently went up but look at any returns as a way to update your information in your system.
    I admire your trying to brainstorm some ideas to get people in the door. Good luck to you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Referral cards. Have some printed up that are good for a percentage off (not to be used with some insurances of course) and have a place on the back for the referee's name. This works very well if you make it worth it for the referring party as in they get a 50.00 gift card good toward future purchases. This gift card works like cash so can be used with insurance. I had a lady bring in 6 of the gift cards last week and buy herself a pair of sunglasses with them. This may seem like too much of a give away but she sent us 6 new patients who each spent an average of 300.00.

Thread Information