Thread: Eyemed edging

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyemed edging

Will the new Eyemed system mean a lot less edging for your in office lab?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have noticed a small drop. We used to be able to do single vision in a day or two and now it's closer to a week with shipping time.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The in office finishing seems to ship the lenses pretty quick although the gentex sv stock comes in terrible choice of base curve. The pals and bifocals accounted for about twenty percent of my edging. Won't have a real feel until we slow down from our holiday rush. Their turnaround time on finished work had been less than ideal so far!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes!!! we edged ALL eyemed jobs in house before, unless some one got glass, now sending all of that out is basically putting our santinelli into retirement :(
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is it true that you will make more to have eyemed do the job than to do it as an eyemed iof ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You make more edging yourself. I sometimes will let the SV no frills or thrills go to the lab, but AR and/or transitions?!? You betcha they are mine. Especially if you do the higher category AR (tier 3 or premium)

For example, if you sell a SV Transition Poly with Crizal Avance w/UV: The cost of the lens blanks from Eyemed is significantly less than the chargebacks from the lab. Almost like getting that Transitions on the lens for free. (Avoiding actual numbers since in public forum.)

The extra few dollars they give you for IOF really only covers S&H from their ordering system. However, I can place an order by 6pm, and have them next day by noon. Patients love the quicker turn time as well.

Generally speaking you will earn 30% more doing it in house as long as its not a naked plastic lens.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Jubilee. So if I understand you correctly ...you still order the blanks through EYEMED BUT the chargebacks are less than if EYEMED finished the job. Is that correct? Sort of like a regular lab where it is cheaper to get uncuts...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The problem with that is that their system for billing only allows In House Edging for SV only. You start adding A/R and such and the system is set up so that you have to send to a Lab.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I only do the AR and Transitions in house. I order the SV lenses through their ordering program, for name brand, costs are on par with others. I certainly appreciate being able to get the Aspheric Poly with Avance.

If you do the order, you do not get any chargebacks. You simply pay for the lens blanks. The lens blanks are significantly cheaper than the chargebacks for AR and/or transitions. If you do the order in house, you get the monies for the base lens, the extra $ for doing it in house (though to be fair it seems to cover the shipping for the lenses) and you get the keep all the copays collected for the upgrades. It is very similar to the VSP IOF program.

Now it is true you can only do it with SV. However, I find it definitely worth my time to do so.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just order SV lenses thru a lens warehouse for all ins jobs and edge them in house. I tried the IOF vsp deal, but it took way to much time and was very frustrating. I gave up when it wouldnt tell me if I had $50 in the cart and if i didnt write every lens down i had no idea and then got dinged for shipping. with my other place i can do 20 orders in the time it took me to do 2 or 3... time is money and I like the control I have in picking lenses that will work properly with the frame. gentex ones are useless unless youre doing a sport wrap lol.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Truthfully if you think of it warranty wise on the transition a/r lens doing them in house just dosen't pay enough if you have to return them for warranty in the future.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisab View Post
    Truthfully if you think of it warranty wise on the transition a/r lens doing them in house just dosen't pay enough if you have to return them for warranty in the future.
    What difference does the warranty make? Either way the lens is covered.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will double check the Eyemed program, but I know VSP will warranty their stock lenses. You just have to be able to send them back in the original packaging and copy of the invoice. Invoices are stored on computer, and packaging attached to order ticket in plastic bin with monthly paperwork. Funny thing is I seem to have less warranty issues with my orders than the ones going to outside labs. Less turn time, less redos, higher patient satisfaction, and more money.. makes me happy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    You just have to be able to send them back in the original packaging and copy of the invoice. Invoices are stored on computer, and packaging attached to order ticket in plastic bin with monthly paperwork. .
    Sounds like a lot of additional work just to hedge on a warranty. Most labs would just let you send back with the order# and reason for return.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Sounds like a lot of additional work just to hedge on a warranty. Most labs would just let you send back with the order# and reason for return.
    With VSP IOF thats all you need for a stock finished lens inventory warranty return

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Yes it is, plus of course your have to edge the lenses a second time to fulfill the warranty. If you have the volume to warrant having an edger stock finishing in office, even with insurance, is more profitable, but it is also more work.

Thread Information