Thread: Blue Lenses Dangerous?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Blue Lenses Dangerous?

Have a pt. who wants to make his third pair (after opthalmic and suns) "party" glasses and have them tinted blue. This got me to wondering about the safety of such an endeavor. With the launching of Provencia and Recharge, I've been reading a good deal about HEV/blue light hazards, and it seems that a blue tint would serve to amplify blue light, potentially putting my pt. at risk. Am I being overly cautious, or should I advise my pt. to pick another color?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would not worry about long term exposure to HEV/blue considering this would be a occasional wear pair only.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Have a pt. who wants to make his third pair (after opthalmic and suns) "party" glasses and have them tinted blue. This got me to wondering about the safety of such an endeavor. With the launching of Provencia and Recharge, I've been reading a good deal about HEV/blue light hazards, and it seems that a blue tint would serve to amplify blue light, potentially putting my pt. at risk. Am I being overly cautious, or should I advise my pt. to pick another color?
    Browman may just be on to something here. This may explain why Ozzy Osbourne speaks and acts the way he does, he seemingly always has on blue tinted specs.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Blue lenses ............................

We used to make a ton of blue lenses in the 1970s. It is a fad that might come back again anytime.

It is like the frame designs from that time period are back now.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I loved wearing blue lenses and may need to order another pair now. What ever lenses you wear will provide more protection than nothing.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The current generation of glassworking lenses (for soft glass torch work, replacing didymium) are blue. No worries here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't see how a tinted lens would 'amplify' blue. It just allows more blue to pass through than other colours. More blue would travel through a clear lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://videogameseizures.wordpress.c...ective-lenses/
    check this out - zeiss lenses to help prevent seizure for epileptic patients using blue lenses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't show the research here, but I've heard that blue lenses could increase "depression" especially those already prone to it. My daughter has worn blue lenses for years; despite me telling her that may not be the best color to look through if there is anything to color therapies. She is prone to depression/anxiety etc.
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Occupation
    Loved wearing my logo nylor pilot frames with dark blue gradient lens in them. In the seventies of course.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    Loved wearing my logo nylor pilot frames with dark blue gradient lens in them. In the seventies of course.
    Those Logo frames were some of the best frames I've worked with. I wore the Sirocco in the early 80's with AO's Photolite- a blue, plastic, photochromic lens.

http://www.dickwhitney.net/AOPhotolitePage.htm
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    I can't see how a tinted lens would 'amplify' blue. It just allows more blue to pass through than other colours. More blue would travel through a clear lens.
    +1. ALL tinted lenses decrease light transmission. The color tint of the lenses means it decreases that wavelength less than others. A blue tint lens will at worst allows the same amount of blue light as a clear lens, and most likely actually decreases even blue more than clear, especially clear with AR. IF you are still worried, advise Prevencia on the blue tint. It will probably enhance the blue "party" effects he's looking for and take care of your blue/HEV worries.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    We used to make a ton of blue lenses in the 1970s. It is a fad that might come back again anytime.

It is like the frame designs from that time period are back now.
    We've made quite a few of them in the past few years. Both solid blue and photochromic blue.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman
    it seems that a blue tint would serve to amplify blue light, potentially putting my pt. at risk.
    As some of the others have already pointed out, a blue-tinted lens will not transmit any more blue light than a clear lens. It will just transmit less yellow light.

And for part-time use, particularly in the kind of low-light conditions that I would normally associate with some kind of "party" environment, there is certainly isn't any increased risk of blue-light hazard.

That said, if you are really worried about it, you could always go with a blue mirror coating, if he is simply interested in blue-looking lenses (without necessarily wanting to see everything tinted in blue).

Quote Originally Posted by kaypaula
    I can't show the research here, but I've heard that blue lenses could increase "depression" especially those already prone to it
    I have actually seen research to the contrary, suggesting that insufficient blue light can actually result in more depression and impaired cognition, since blue light around 460 nm has been linked to melatonin suppression and the regulation of circadian rhythms. This has been raised as a potential concern for "blue-blocking" tints and coatings.

See, for instance, Violet and blue light blocking intraocular lenses: photoprotection versus photoreception.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I apologize in advance for not reading the top of the thread. However, this quote caught my attention, "As some of the others have already pointed out, a blue-tinted lens will not transmit any more blue light than a clear lens. It will just transmit less yellow light."

It occurs to me that if the blue lens is attenuating yellow radiation, this will be perceived as a darkening of available light and stimulate an increase in pupil dilatation. Compared to clear lenses, the increase in pupil dilatation could result in higher than acceptable levels of short wavelengths to enter the eye. Perhaps my assumptions are wrong or exaggerated.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Ropia
    It occurs to me that if the blue lens is attenuating yellow radiation, this will be perceived as a darkening of available light and stimulate an increase in pupil dilatation. Compared to clear lenses, the increase in pupil dilatation could result in higher than acceptable levels of short wavelengths to enter the eye.
    The increase in pupil size is an astute observation to make, Emmet. But keep in mind that:

1) no one has really ever demonstrated unacceptable levels of blue light under normal viewing conditions (in fact, the safety of indoor lighting relative to the blue-light hazard has been confirmed); and
    2) the pupil size is actually regulated more by blue wavelengths than other by wavelengths (so the eye would be less likely to dilate more compared to the absorption of blue light).

Still, pupil size is certainly a factor that should be considered in discussions like this. The retinal illuminance will be proportional to the square of the pupil radius.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Ropia View Post
    the increase in pupil dilatation
    That's awesome, I'd not even considered that!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The negative effect of blue lenses, and by allowing more blue light through is that blue light (esp Short wave blue) doesn't not refract the same way through the eye as other colors do, ie, it doesn't not reach the same focal point on the retina.

As a result, vision will simply be fuzzier and there could be a loss of depth perception. Skiers call shortwave blue light "flat" light because they lose the ability to see detail and how far away objects really are. When I skied I called the effect "mystery mogul" where a large bump or mogul was simply hidden from perception even though it was right infront of me. Whoa! Where did that come from!

Although in skiing, I was able to pick myself up out of the snow. Driving however is not as forgiving.

I tried this myself, with blue lenses, things looked fuzzier, objects less defined and I could discern less how far something was from me. I suggest you do the same. Blue is not pleasant for long periods and could be a risk while driving.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 01-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick
    The negative effect of blue lenses, and by allowing more blue light through is that blue light (esp Short wave blue) doesn't not refract the same way through the eye as other colors do, ie, it doesn't not reach the same focal point even through the same RX
    Although the interaction between blue light and the chromatic aberration of the eye is an important consideration, I think the concern of the original poster was with the potential for long-term retinal damage due to the blue-light hazard, or the potential link between chronic exposure to intense levels of high-energy visible radiation and age-related maculopathy.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i wore blue lenses for a time, and always suffered intense headaches a couple hours in. this was before i got involved with the optical industry, i know better now.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    +1. ALL tinted lenses decrease light transmission. The color tint of the lenses means it decreases that wavelength less than others. A blue tint lens will at worst allows the same amount of blue light as a clear lens, and most likely actually decreases even blue more than clear, especially clear with AR. IF you are still worried, advise Prevencia on the blue tint. It will probably enhance the blue "party" effects he's looking for and take care of your blue/HEV worries.
    If you reduce the rest of the spectrum but allow all of the blue or close to all you will still have a dilated pupil due to reduced stimulus allowing more of the blue to pass through and therefore more harm due to blue. Same reason why backside UV, and suns without UV protection can be harmful and in some cases more harmful then wearing nothing at all.

Keep in mind if we eliminate blue light the next harmful wavelength is going to be the greens and yellows our sweet spot. At a certain point humans have to realize that the body may be living longer due to modern medicine and advances but the sensors are not designed to be functional that long.

I suggest work be done on a cure or at least glasses for time.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    If you reduce the rest of the spectrum but allow all of the blue or close to all you will still have a dilated pupil due to reduced stimulus allowing more of the blue to pass through and therefore more harm due to blue. Same reason why backside UV, and suns without UV protection can be harmful and in some cases more harmful then wearing nothing at all.
    This is the idea I'd had in mind, though it seems most of the thread disagrees. Aside from personal concern, interaction between the eye, brain, and lens tint is an area of great personal interest to me (I did some grad-level psychology work in college) so this thread is really quite fascinating.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Although the interaction between blue light and the chromatic aberration of the eye is an important consideration, I think the concern of the original poster was with the potential for long-term retinal damage due to the blue-light hazard, or the potential link between chronic exposure to intense levels of high-energy visible radiation and age-related maculopathy.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    your right, but I didn't want anyone resurrecting this thread or new to Optics think that fitting blue colored lenses wasn't without a downside, the greatest risk is loss of depth perception while driving.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    your right, but I didn't want anyone resurrecting this thread or new to Optics think that fitting blue colored lenses wasn't without a downside, the greatest risk is loss of depth perception while driving.
    Huh?
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Thread Information