Thread: contact lens fitting sets

Bad address email on file

contact lens fitting sets

Chip, I was wondering in the States do you ever use fitting sets now.In Europe because of CJD it is recommended to use single use trial lenses.Whilst this is very easy for soft lenses where most practioners carry fitting banks it is obviously more difficult for GPs.Most practioners are fitting GPs empiraccly in general practice

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    God help me, I don't know what CJD is. Most companies have been supplying unlimited trial lenses (disposble anyway) however many are backing off of this. Especially J & J where it is very hard to maintain a trial set with thier chincy method of re-supply.

We usually fit disposables from trial set, recheck in one week an if everything checks out, we order six-packs (of lenses).

On rigid lenses I seldom use trial lenses except on traumaticly injured and surgicly mutilated eyes. Then it's the only way to go.

Far too many in the stated use a one size fits all, dispense without even looking at results, much less bother to perform a follow up.

Chip

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease

chip anderson said:
    God help me, I don't know what CJD is.
    Here's a good site about the condition. I'm pretty sure they are all blaming it on the poor old cow and parts of its body that were processed to make meat based products...

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    It's the vCJD we're worried about over here (new variant CJD) it's the one that has been linked to Mad Cow disease over here in the UK. The UK government has said there is a "theoretical but unproven" risk of transfer via trial lenses, so we've been using single use trial lenses/empirical fitting for a while now. You can disinfect with 2% sodium hypochlorite but even that is not absolutely guaranteed to kill the prion which is thought to be the culprit.

Excellent article in the recent BCLA journal on the risks and decontamination procedures.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee: Maybe some more people can make money on the lecture circuit talking about this, enough folks did with AIDS a few years back. Are you listening out there all you bored folks with biology or biochemistry degrees, now you can pick up extra money, travel and feel important on the week ends. We'll promise to look impressed with how smart you are getting our CEC's even though a two line statement like those made in this string will tell us all we need to know.

Chip

Sorry about this but I have gotten so bored in the past sitting through I don't know how many hours listening to experts on subjects that we can do nothing about. And claims by various solution companies (who sponsor the visiting genius) that their product cures everything from AIDS to Lombego.

On This subject I recently heard a news report that straight lemon or lime juice will kill practically every know bacteria and virus. Us what like diaquiri's must be safe from practically every form of infestation.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 10-14-2002 at 07:18 AM.

Thread Information