Thread: Clearly Contacts throws its money behind shoe retailer ..............................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Clearly Contacts throws its money behind shoe retailer ..............................

The Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, Nov. 15 2013, 5:00 AM EST

Clearly Contacts throws its money behind shoe retailer

...........................With Mr. Hardy’s investment, ShoeMe.ca has now set up shop in Coastal Contacts’ first Vancouver office, and it recently added a distribution centre in Toronto. In October, ShoeMe.ca’s sales of new, in-season shoes and boots from its vendors hit $550,000. There are now 130 brands on ShoeMe.ca, including Nine West, Sketchers and Clarks.

..........................The goal is for ShoeMe.ca to ride the rising tide of e-commerce in Canada. In 2012, Canadians ordered $18.9-billion worth of goods and services online, according to Statistics Canada. That could swell to $34-billion, or 10 per cent of total retail transactions in Canada, according to Forrester Research Inc.

see all of it at : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle15419749/

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Canadian Enterprises Sold Lots of Goods & Services Online in 2012 ...................

Stats Can: Canadian Enterprises Sold Lots of Goods & Services Online in 2012

........................................According to a recent report by Statistics Canada (Stats Can), Canadian enterprises sold nearly $122 billion worth of goods and services over the Internet in 2012. This is more than double the amount enterprises brought in during 2007, the last time this type of survey was conducted.What will it be for 2013 ?

Where is the optical retail going ??????????????

http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsH...inein2012.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The Globe and Mail

...........................With Mr. Hardy’s investment, ShoeMe.ca has now set up shop in Coastal Contacts’ first Vancouver office, and it recently added a distribution centre in Toronto. In October, ShoeMe.ca’s sales of new, in-season shoes and boots from its vendors hit $550,000. There are now 130 brands on ShoeMe.ca, /

it doesn't appear to be any cheaper than purchasing from a brick and mortar store, it may actually be more expensive.

It it is interesting to note the "tabs format" of the layout which promotes both the "for eyes" and the "for feet" stores and seems to promise a family of stores to come but under a linked umbrella. This may start to reduce the overhead costs for each operation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Globe and Mail

...........................With Mr. Hardy’s investment, ShoeMe.ca has now set up shop in Coastal Contacts’ first Vancouver office, and it recently added a distribution centre in Toronto. In October, ShoeMe.ca’s sales of new, in-season shoes and boots from its vendors hit $550,000. There are now 130 brands on ShoeMe.ca, including Nine West, Sketchers and Clarks.

..........................The goal is for ShoeMe.ca to ride the rising tide of e-commerce in Canada. In 2012, Canadians ordered $18.9-billion worth of goods and services online, according to Statistics Canada. That could swell to $34-billion, or 10 per cent of total retail transactions in Canada, according to Forrester Research Inc.

see all of it at : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle15419749/
    So if online sales are going to hit only 10% of all retail transactions why are you advocating that bricks & mortar optical stores change their business model to cater to this minority?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    So if online sales are going to hit only 10% of all retail transactions why are you advocating that bricks & mortar optical stores change their business model to cater to this minority?

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Growth !

They are not going to hit only 10 percent, they are growing through 10 percent and rising above that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Growth !

They are not going to hit only 10 percent, they are growing through 10 percent and rising above that.
    So they hit 12%....big deal.
    The marginal stores will close or have already done so.
    But I'm certainly not changing my business model to cater to the minority.
    I am not convinced that the majority of eyeglass wearers want virtual try-on instead of the experience of a bricks & mortar.
    Are you withholding your license fees this year as you suggested in many earlier posts.
    Just askin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris isn't telling you what to do , he's showing you what's happening as it happens and grows, which gives others the opportunity to adapt if they want to recognize the changes happening and growing. How you interpret the data and what old values you cling too is your choice.

It was only a short time ago the stock was at four dollars but now it's touching nine dollars.

As someone probably said: " Please support your independent lab.....if you can find one!" Truth is that you may not find one because of growth.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are looking at it wrong: "So they hit 12%....big deal"
    It is a big deal. Look at the changes to opticianry in BC .
    What level of penetration was that ?

Any provinces legislation can be repealed.

(The report about 10 percent appears to reference all transactions not just eyewear transactions, eyewear transactions could be a higher or lower percentage)
    Last edited by idispense; 12-23-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Eyeglasses will be, or are already one of the fastest growing commodities online.....

Originally Posted by Golfnorth

So they hit 12%....big deal.
    The marginal stores will close or have already done so.
    But I'm certainly not changing my business model to cater to the minority.

The online sales being the total 10% of all retail sales............................ all retail sales means also your milk, gasoline, electricity, and so on.

Eyeglasses will be, or are already one of the fastest growing commodities online, because of the huge price difference between the B&M stores and online sales.

Some retired friends of ours here in Naples FL, where the wife had her cataracts done in August bought new glasses (single vision) online at the cost of $ 15.00, She also got a second pair for free, including no shipping charge. Nicely made rimless metal frames and nylon mounted lenses including spring hinges and a light tint.

The purchase was made from one of the Essilor owned optical online companies and the job was well done.

All the protection opticians have introduced to restrict and enforce the market in eyeglasses to their profession through associations and government regulations, seems to have evaporated into thin Canadian arctic air.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 12-24-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The online sales being the total 10% of all retail sales............................ all retail sales means also your milk, gasoline, electricity, and so on.

Some retired friends of ours here in Naples FL, where the wife had her cataracts done in August bought new glasses (single vision) online at the cost of $ 15.00, She also got a second pair for free, including no shipping charge. Nicely made rimless metal frames and nylon mounted lenses including spring hinges and a light tint.

The purchase was made from one of the Essilor owned optical online companies and the job was well done.

All the protection opticians have introduced to restrict and enforce the market in eyeglasses to their profession through associations and government regulations, seems to have evaporated into thin Canadian arctic air.
    Chris, for a transplanted Canadian snowbird living high on the hog in FLA half the year that made his fortunes from the support of independent ECP's, you seem to have a twisted odd obsession in supporting and following the achievements of on-line companies such as CC and Evil Empire. Cheap eyewear to match the makeup by Tammy Faye Bakker.

It goes without saying "You get what you paid for". At an average selling price per pair of $7.50, less your expenses ($1.50 for crappy Chinese frame, $2.00 for crappy uncoated CR39 lenses, $3.00 for slave labor, use of edger and leap pads, $3.50 for shipping), results in a loss of -$2.50 per job.

Certainly doesn't seem like a stellar business model to me. Even a not-for-profit organization would run for the hills with this model. Heck, I'd say Evil Empire is doing a fantastic job at tarnishing their reputation while taking out the garbage for all of us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Contact lenses have been sold on-line or on 1-800 phone lines for a very long time now. I still sell as many contact lenses as ever, the difference being that margins are lower and many people use a hybrid approach. They buy some from me, and often also purchase some on line later. They do come back for exams, and MOST of the time we sell them something.

Our in-house edging, exams, big stock of SV lenses and tinting - the immediate service we can offer - and at VERY competitive prices, easily out-matches CC or WP (on price/quality/service). There is NO WAY for on-liners to do what we do, they just do a facsimile of a small part of what we do.

We just need to adapt to price transparency and a far more informed consumer. With the service we add and good marketing, I believe independent ECPs are in a decent position amid all the noise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    Contact lenses have been sold on-line or on 1-800 phone lines for a very long time now. I still sell as many contact lenses as ever, the difference being that margins are lower and many people use a hybrid approach. They buy some from me, and often also purchase some on line later. They do come back for exams, and MOST of the time we sell them something.

Our in-house edging, exams, big stock of SV lenses and tinting - the immediate service we can offer - and at VERY competitive prices, easily out-matches CC or WP (on price/quality/service). There is NO WAY for on-liners to do what we do, they just do a facsimile of a small part of what we do.

We just need to adapt to price transparency and a far more informed consumer. With the service we add and good marketing, I believe independent ECPs are in a decent position amid all the noise.
    You mean I won't have to go bankrupt in January?????
    It's a Christmas miracle!

Happy holidays,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting personal attacks on a gentleman only pointing out the growth rates of a new branch that is a game changer to our industry.

Why do you attack and attempt to degrade him on a personal level when he is referencing other studies ?

Perhaps you might also explain the "evil empire" analogy. Companies are in business to make money usually by growing sales and revenue, how does this equate to evil?
    Does your salary not get paid to you from profits of a company or business entity ?
    Last edited by idispense; 12-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    ?...

Certainly doesn't seem like a stellar business model to me. Even a not-for-profit organization would run for the hills with this model. Heck, I'd say Xxxxxx is doing a fantastic job at tarnishing their reputation while taking out the garbage for all of us.
    What is this "garbage" you refer to ? Are you referring to some of our customer base as "garbage" or are you referring to product ?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

So optimensch has a working solution to counter the online competition and I am glad it works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020

Chris, for a transplanted Canadian snowbird living high on the hog in FLA half the year that made his fortunes from the support of independent ECP's, you seem to have a twisted odd obsession in supporting and following the achievements of on-line companies such as CC and Evil Empire. Cheap eyewear to match the makeup by Tammy Faye Bakker.

It is so easy and comfortable to throw insults from behind an anonymous curtain.

.........and yes I am passing the winter month in Florida, however I am working my job doing correspondence on the computer in my home office starting usually very early. The "fortune" that made me do it was the death sentence of 5-8 month to live, I received from my oncologist in August 1991. Today I am the only survivor of that type of cancer that the medical dept. of the McGill University knows of.
    3 years ago after 6 hours on the heart lung machine during heart surgery, followed by a 3 weeks stay at the hospital, was the next "fortune" to make me continue the habit of going south during the winter months.

The "twisted odd obsession in supporting and following the online companies" comes from a lifelong interest in new concepts that could or will succeed, plus the change they will make on our way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by idispense
    Interesting personal attacks on a gentleman only pointing out the growth rates of a new branch that is a game changer to our industry.

Why do you attack and attempt to degrade him on a personal level when he is referencing other studies ?

..............and yes it is Christmas tomorrow, a time for peace.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    You mean I won't have to go bankrupt in January?????
    It's a Christmas miracle!

Happy holidays,
    Golfnorth
    I trust that my fellow opti-boarders are well-informed and care about our trade craft (to borrow from zero dark thirty). Just being here and reading what others have to say and learning from people like Barry and Darryl (and many others) should be helpful.
    No way you are going bankrupt !!
    All the best for 2014

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    What is this "garbage" you refer to ? Are you referring to some of our customer base as "garbage" or are you referring to product ?
    Serving and servicing bottom feeder consumers that are only driven by the lowest price and nothing else as your main core group - didn't work for you did it?

Occupation
    So optimensch has a working solution to counter the online competition and I am glad it works for him.

It is so easy and comfortable to throw insults from behind an anonymous curtain.

.........and yes I am passing the winter month in Florida, however I am working my job doing correspondence on the computer in my home office starting usually very early. The "fortune" that made me do it was the death sentence of 5-8 month to live, I received from my oncologist in August 1991. Today I am the only survivor of that type of cancer that the medical dept. of the McGill University knows of.
    3 years ago after 6 hours on the heart lung machine during heart surgery, followed by a 3 weeks stay at the hospital, was the next "fortune" to make me continue the habit of going south during the winter months.

The "twisted odd obsession in supporting and following the online companies" comes from a lifelong interest in new concepts that could or will succeed, plus the change they will make on our way of life.

..............and yes it is Christmas tomorrow, a time for peace.
    It's never a personal attack - it's just an opinion. Sorry to hear the unfortunate news - no disrespect intended. Yes, time for peace - merry xmas to all.

Occupation

Blue Jumper People shopped online like crazy over the holidays .........................

People Shopped Online Like Crazy Over The Holidays

Meanwhile, there have been several stories about physical retail having a rough season, with stores being forced to offer massive discounts to get folks in the door.So it seems the big e-commerce boom is both an indicator of a strong economy and a sign that e-commerce is just clobbering physical shopping at a level that nobody anticipated.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/onlin...#ixzz2olPiU5QD

Occupation

Blue Jumper on the other hand ......................

Online Shopping Is Still A Pathetically Tiny Fraction Of All Shopping

Still, it's estimated that for every $9 shoppers spend in physical stores during the two-month season that ends on New Year's Eve, they'll only spend $1 online, according to research firm comScore.

Why? Retailers haven't solved many of the challenges that initially turned many shoppers off from buying online. Some web sites still crash fairly frequently. Hot merchandise often sells out quickly online. And retailers haven't convinced people to use their shopping apps on smartphones and tablets.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/onlin...#ixzz2olUKTsyZ

Thread Information