Thread: Set the mark yourself or let the machine do it ?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Set the mark yourself or let the machine do it ?

I set the mark my self, almost all of frames have to be adjusted after the customer get them on,
    so i can't believe that anything under 0.5 mm matters. and i can always adjust a little after the customers get them.

we only sell hi-end pals so maybe its because off that the tolerance for errors are bigger.

we sell 1.000 pairs of pals every year and i believe that there are about 20 customers that have complaints
    mostly do to much + in the distance zone and some times during the edging process we make an honest mistake.

but i have never in my entire career, had a costumers that came in to my shop, saying something is wrong, and i discoverd
    that the fitting of the lens was 0.2 mm off on the left eye and 0.1 mm off on the right.

btw we got a Zeiss RVT and uses it sometimes to impress customers that are used to that from there old optical shop.

like to hear what you do in your office

best regards

Peter

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    0.1 or 0.5 doesn't really matter in the US because of ANSI z87.1. It says that the lab is allowed to be 1 mm off on a seg height (in either eye but 1 mm in total difference). Now, I don't know if the ISEA Z87.1 standard (which looks like it should read exact the same as the ANSI standard) or some equivalent standard applies in Denmark.

But to answer the question in the subject I tend to prefer my hand marked seg height but I've become consistent enough that the two measurement are within 0.5 mm of each other. But I wouldn't get worked up over 0.1 of a mm I still get calls for the lab when I intend to order 19.5 but I type in 19.2 because their equipment is not set up to be that exact (probably because of ANSI standards)
    Last edited by jpways; 12-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can tell you from absolute expierence, that until your lab is able to lay out the lenses at blocking to .1 mm, fancy machines that are '5 times more accurate' don't do squat.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I can tell you from absolute expierence, that until your lab is able to lay out the lenses at blocking to .1 mm, fancy machines that are '5 times more accurate' don't do squat.

Amen. Fanciest coat racks I've ever seen. ;)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The sad part, they work really well, if there is a competent person taking the measurements. But it's not just about pushing buttons, its about analyzing the data received. Example: Just saturday an associate of mine sold two pairs of glasses, and we take two separate measurements, i.e., pictures for each pair. One pair was fairly decent (i can pull up the photos in my store so I can beat people if I need to for crappy measurements), the other was COMPLETELY different. Pd's on one were 29/29. The other, 32/26!!!!!!!!

Now, why the lab even made the glasses that way is a whole other can of beans, I'm not gonna go there, but I mean seriously, what kind of moron doesn't notice this? I'll tell you. Not a moron. I person who doesn't understand the process, doesn't really truly care, and a person with (gasp) 13 years experience "selling" glasses. This is inexcusable.

And this is why we as brick and mortar optical businesses are grappling to stay in business against online. My one colleague just ruined business for the 5 other private practices in my immediate surroundings because if "______'s" can't make my glasses right, and they are the biggest chain out there, then I should just order my progressives online".

Facepalm!!!!!!!!

I have tried so hard to make my one little corner of the optical chain world the best it can possibly be. I am currently the only LO on staff, except for a piece of paper that fills in for me once a week so I can have a day off (my location is only open 6 days), and I have (patting myself on back) tried really hard to create a independent environment for my patients in our store. But I'm one person, and on a day when we sell 30 pairs, I can't catch everything. It's so dang frustrating. But I actually love my little location, it's the only gig I can have right now for various reasons, so I keep plugging along.

Anddddd, end rant. (sorry, haven't done that in a while)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    The sad part, they work really well, if there is a competent person taking the measurements. But it's not just about pushing buttons, its about analyzing the data received. Example: Just saturday an associate of mine sold two pairs of glasses, and we take two separate measurements, i.e., pictures for each pair. One pair was fairly decent (i can pull up the photos in my store so I can beat people if I need to for crappy measurements), the other was COMPLETELY different. Pd's on one were 29/29. The other, 32/26!!!!!!!!

Now, why the lab even made the glasses that way is a whole other can of beans, I'm not gonna go there, but I mean seriously, what kind of moron doesn't notice this? I'll tell you. Not a moron. I person who doesn't understand the process, doesn't really truly care, and a person with (gasp) 13 years experience "selling" glasses. This is inexcusable.

And this is why we as brick and mortar optical businesses are grappling to stay in business against online. My one colleague just ruined business for the 5 other private practices in my immediate surroundings because if "______'s" can't make my glasses right, and they are the biggest chain out there, then I should just order my progressives online".

Facepalm!!!!!!!!

I have tried so hard to make my one little corner of the optical chain world the best it can possibly be. I am currently the only LO on staff, except for a piece of paper that fills in for me once a week so I can have a day off (my location is only open 6 days), and I have (patting myself on back) tried really hard to create a independent environment for my patients in our store. But I'm one person, and on a day when we sell 30 pairs, I can't catch everything. It's so dang frustrating. But I actually love my little location, it's the only gig I can have right now for various reasons, so I keep plugging along.

Anddddd, end rant. (sorry, haven't done that in a while)
    Preach it sister! Testify!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information