Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing Warby Parkers

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fixing Warby Parkers

So I have an early 20's client, approx -5.00DS O.U.; who decided to go for a trendy pair of $95 Warby Parker eyeglasses.

When she came back from school around Thanksgiving, her Mom brought her in and asked if I could help figure out why these were giving her such a headache and eyestrain. Rx had been verified by WP with the prescribing office (not our Rx). Rx is as she had been wearing in my eyewear, except that I used FFSV with POW Poly AR, in a much smaller sized frame (older fashion).

Here's what I found withe the WP:

1. RX correct
    2. Binocular PD correct (symmetrically set...she is only 1 mm diff between her eyes)
    3. Poly OC was set at frame's mid-"B" - This meant, with such a tall shape and high bridge, that her pupil was 7mm above the OC/MC.
    4. Panto of frame was 0 (ZERO)
    5. Wrap angle was 6 degrees
    6. Lenses were non-aspheric
    7. Base curve supplied was 1.25D

So, for all intents and purposes, WP eyewear was easily fully compliant with ANSI standards - so much for ANSI ensuring client satisfaction.

Here's what I did:

1. Remade in CR39 AR FF SV with POW included
    2. Supplied 4.25 BASE curve (Frame bevel curve was 2.8D)
    3. Use ME1200 Variable bevel mode to taper edge thickness as to prevent frame temple "splay"
    4. Edge-tinted the lenses to reduce ring effect and blend with frame.

Photos are attached to tell the visual story. Will probably have to mail eyewear to school (I prefitted them). Won't know client response until next week.

Discussion.

Barry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orig Warby Poly.jpg   Orig Warby Poly Edge rings.jpg   CR39 OD SVFF-Orig WP Poly.jpg   Edge view Orig Warby Poly.jpg   CR39 FF Edge tint profile.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Two additional photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plate Height-CR39 vs Poly stk.jpg   CR39 Edge tint vs no edge tint.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why 4 BC?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    4bc, means approx. -9 on back? Yuch!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Cr-39, choice between 4 or 2. With wrap angle counted, selected 4. It is a choice. This was mine. With FF SV, you can choose either

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    how do you tint the edges? Quite a nice job.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Turn your tint unit down 10 degrees approx 175-180. Dip lenses several times quickly. Then...IMPORTANT!...do not quench or dip in water. Let air dry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Doesn't this leave streaking on the surface of the lens? Or does the drop in temp prevent the tint from soaking into the polished surfaces?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lenses are always AR coated.
    B

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Ahh, so the dropped temp prevents damage while the hard-coat prevents absorption. Very slick

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have a question Barry-

First, I am truly impressed by the level of customer service you are able to offer to this patient! I am assuming that most of your patients/customers do not require this level of in-depth service, but what percentage of patients would you say you spend this much time on? I could guess that this person took about an hour to two hours of your time, 1 hour to go through her story and check the glasses, and another to order/edge/tint/mount the lenses? I'm interested because I find it challenging to devote upwards of an hour to a single patient (during the glasses consult/checkout) in our practice, although that's what ideally we would do for everyone. Between phones ringing, existing glasses orders being picked up, the next patient finishing their exam and waiting next to be helped, orders to be entered, glasses to be checked in, inventory upkeep, etc etc etc I would say we average about 30 minutes per patient - some more, some less. So would your example be the norm for you, the exception? Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    15 minutes to discuss/consult/agree to new lenses. First Suggest she take them back for a "satisfaction" refund, but she tried and was told that if eyewear is Rx/PD compliant, then remake/exchange at no charge - no refunds. Fabrication time about the same as most other jobs we do. It is our standard of service to noodle all edging jobs for optimal cosmetics and lens retention. Our ME1200 makes this possible.

b

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2939 View Post
    I find it challenging to devote upwards of an hour to a single patient (during the glasses consult/checkout) in our practice, although that's what ideally we would do for everyone. Between phones ringing, existing glasses orders being picked up, the next patient finishing their exam and waiting next to be helped, orders to be entered, glasses to be checked in, inventory upkeep, etc etc etc I would say we average about 30 minutes per patient - some more, some less.
    I think Barry enjoys, due to his diligent business building, the perfect volume/profit ratio that allows him to dote on every customer and truly meet their every optical need while maintaining a successful business. Many of the rest of us still struggle to find that balance. It's not just our industry, but many business live in dire fear of not enough customers and do anything to bring more people in the doors, most significantly with low prices. In our business it's usually through insurance, and we keep cranking it up and taking on more until our books are full, and only then do we realize we have taken on so much work at such moderate margins that we cannot provide the very service we intended. Barry accepts no insurance and enjoys the fruits of his business built solely on the value of his service, not the value of price which (through insurance) the rest of us leverage to bring customers in.

Matt your practice sounds like a pretty typical one were you have enough time to provide good service, but it's hard to be exemplary. When your time is so tightly budgeted, every extra minute you devote to a "special" customer necessarily cuts corners on another customer. The only way to improve service is increase staff to master the volume, or decrease volume such that existing staff can master it. The worst place to be is too busy with your job to even do your job. Chain stores deliberately limit the level of service their staff can offer so they can ratchet up productivity to match any amount of volume that walks through their doors. That's not a happy place. We all want to be Barry's, not LCs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't give me too much credit here, fellas. Every business has its challenges.

B

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tend to use edge coat pens. Is edge tinting better or just easier? I did similar thing for a pair of warbys , didn't use pow but did specify proper oc and edge coated. Pt was extremely happy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    I tend to use edge coat pens. Is edge tinting better or just easier? I did similar thing for a pair of warbys , didn't use pow but did specify proper oc and edge coated. Pt was extremely happy.
    The only material we found safe to edge tint with dyes is CR-39. For the rest I use edge pens too.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 12-06-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trivet too, in fact it's edges will tint quicker and darker with even lower temp settings.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    In Cr-39, choice between 4 or 2. With wrap angle counted, selected 4. It is a choice. This was mine. With FF SV, you can choose either
    I think it's wonderful that you chose your own base curve based on your calculations. I've tried to do that in the past but I have been told with most FF technology I am unable to specify my BC. Do you just have a different relationship with your lab or are you using a particular FF lens which allows the optician's specific calculations for BC?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Photos are attached to tell the visual story. Will probably have to mail eyewear to school (I prefitted them). Won't know client response until next week.

Discussion.

Barry
    She'll love 'em! Symptoms were probably due to an increase in yoked BU prism and its associated higher level of LCA on-axis. The floor should look flatter too, especially if you were able to dial in some panto tilt.

There's a reason why Warby Parker won't sell multifocals. They also shouldn't sell SV lenses without an optician fitting when the Rx has more than 1 DC and/or more than 2 D in the strongest meridian.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    She'll love 'em! Symptoms were probably due to an increase in yoked BU prism and its associated higher level of LCA on-axis. The floor should look flatter too, especially if you were able to dial in some panto tilt.

There's a reason why Warby Parker won't sell multifocals. They also shouldn't sell SV lenses without an optician fitting when the Rx has more than 1 DC and/or more than 2 D in the strongest meridian.
    Most of the ones that I saw were over minus 4.00

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just had a case yesterday involving a woman w/WPs. She had R: -5 ish, L: -4 ish with the OCs about 10 mm below the pupil, zero panto and lots of discomfort. We're changing to a frame with a smaller B and 1.60 index.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

Oh dear--- here's my ignorance showing again.

LCA on axis?

1 DC?

I got the 2 D as 2 diopters though!!! (woot woot)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Questions Barry-
    Is that a fitting cross on the white laminate part of the bench in picture 3 or just some scratches? Also what's the black U shaped thing in the background?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Questions Barry-
    Is that a fitting cross on the white laminate part of the bench in picture 3 or just some scratches? Also what's the black U shaped thing in the background?
    Scratches. The blk "u" shaped thing is an air-heater's flow concentrator...from B&S.

1 DC = 1 Diopter Cylinder correction

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 12-10-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Oh dear--- here's my ignorance showing again.

LCA on axis?

1 DC?

I got the 2 D as 2 diopters though!!! (woot woot)
    You must have missed this article:

http://www.2020mag.com/l-and-t/41604/

B

Thread Information